PDA

View Full Version : I CAN'T BELIEVE WHAT'S HAPPENING TO ME......

Chris Cass
11-20-2002, 03:09 AM
Hello Everyone,

I swear I am the luckiest person in the entire world. Three words, Friends, Cancun, Free.........

Regards,

C.C.~~details coming soon. Lab rat and loving the possibilities. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif Finally, I catch a roll...

CarolNYC
11-20-2002, 05:36 AM
SAINT DOMINIC!
love ya,
Carol

Kato
11-20-2002, 07:22 AM
You are gonna stick out like a sore thumb!!!!!!

Kato~~~wondering where the corn is in Cancun.

hint: check Chris's suitcase

Chris Cass
11-20-2002, 09:58 PM
Ok here's the deal. My eyes are kind of messed up. My vision is 20/25 that's pretty good but my reading vision is messed up bad. This effects my game also when close up shots need shooting. I see a ghost edge on the balls. This is a bear when two balls are close.

I have been to consultaions and tested for a Lasik proceedure twice but was turned down both times. Both Dr.'s saying they wouldn't make a perfectly good eye far-sighted.

I didn't give up and one of the two Dr.'s recommended I look into SRP(Surgical Reversal of Presbyopia), a proceedure that isn't FDA approved and is only done in other countries. It's inserting 4 pieces of plastic in the whites of the eyes. This, enables the eye to draw in objects closer. Reading 3 font type is common after surgery. Also, no adjustment period, like Lasik proceedures. Proceedure costs about $2500.- $5000. and eye, I assume.

Anyway, I put myself on a waiting list to be included on a clinical trail study. Well, today I received the email from them. This is what it reads.

Dear Chris,

I would like to take a moment of your time to thank you for your interest in the surgical treatment of Presbyopia now known as SSP (Surgical Spacing Proceedure).

I have exciting news to share with you that will require your immediate response. We are looking for three eligable Presbyopic patients who would like to have SSP fee of charge. These patients will be traveling to Cancun, Mexico on Friday, December 6 returning on Monday, December 9.

The trip will include your airfare, lodging, and food and all surgical expenses. This incredible opportunity is provided though an international grant with the purpose of obtaining instruction video footage for preparation of international courses. I will be performing the surgery along with a world-renowned European surgeon.

Qualified patients must be between the ages of 45 and 60 years of age and not require glasses for distance vision. The selected patients must also be free of any major ophthalmic disease.

I am offering this opportunity to you first because of your prior expressed interest in the surgical treatment of Presbyopia through our website or through our conversation at the office. Please call our office to schedule your consultation and work up. Patients will be selected on their determined eligibility through a complimentary consultation.

Your immediate response is greatly appreciated.

Best Regards,

#### , MD

Now, how lucky is that? I emailed and called today.

C.C.

Voodoo Daddy
11-20-2002, 11:14 PM
UH...PSYCHO...wanna clue the big guy in?

TomBrooklyn
11-20-2002, 11:51 PM
Hi Chris:
I'd be a little concerned about getting eye surgery from unknown "doctors" in a foreign country. It might be a nice opportunity, but I'd check out qualifications, certifications, experience, references, and medical and hospital affiliations etc.

I'd also want to know more about the procedure, especially if it was considered experimental, such as how many times it's been performed, what the results have been, percentages of success, and any potential side effects or results. Then I'd want to know where the procedure would be conducted, why it's being performed in Mexico, why with foreign patients, and what my status as a foreigner in Mexico is. In other words: Caveat Emptor. Good luck. Tom

bluewolf
11-21-2002, 07:00 AM
I ditto what tom B said. I would not want someone messing with my eyes unless I trusted them. Speaking from a person who saw her dad go blind, and the money they spent to keep his vision as long as they could, bad vision is better than no vision.

blu

Chris Cass
11-21-2002, 10:02 PM
And where have you been? I've had every pool detective searching for you and as big as you claim to be. None have seen hide nor hair of you. HAHAHHAA

Regards,

C.C.~~worried Voodoo has been watching too much TOT tape. LOL /ccboard/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

Chris Cass
11-21-2002, 10:03 PM
Hi Carol,

He's got his work cut out big time. LOL

My Best,

C.C.

Chris Cass
11-21-2002, 10:11 PM
Hi Tom,

I appreciate your concern. I too had this concern till I found out they're good friends of Patrick. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Naa, just kidding. HAHAHAHA I'll see what I can dig up. I know it isn't approved by the FDA and has been in clinical studies for like 5 yrs. I believe. I seen pic's of the preceedure and results were good too. I'm surprized you haven't heard anything yet. One of the Dr.'s that also does it is from NY.

Anyway, I'll post something when I check it out again.

Thanks,

C.C.

stickman
11-21-2002, 11:16 PM
Chris, I'm glad for your good fortune, and wish you nothing but good results.

Wally_in_Cincy
11-23-2002, 10:56 AM
"Ok here's the deal. My eyes are kind of messed up. My vision is 20/25..."

.................................................. .......

A lot of folks would be very happy to have that vision.

Be careful there dude. I wouldn't rush into anything. Mexico? What if they screw up? What are your legal rights re: malpractice. Probably none. Imperfect vision is better than no vision. Would I do it? No f***in' way. JMO

9 Ball Girl
11-23-2002, 11:06 AM
Hi Chris. Have you thought about Contact Lenses? Remember, you get what you pay for...

Chris Cass
11-23-2002, 12:36 PM
Hi Ya Wendy,

I tried them but they only gave me one. Something like monovision. I hadn't worn them enough for my brain to accept the vision correction, about 4 days. My biggest problem was poking myself in the darn eye. WOW that stuff really hurts. It took me about 30 mins to get that puppy in there and my eye was sore and red all night.

Anyway, thanks for your thoughts. They're appreciated as everyones are.

Regards,

C.C.

Chris Cass
11-23-2002, 12:46 PM
Hi Wally,

Your probably right about the legal aspects side of it. I'd probably have to waive my rights. I think I might have opened my mouth up too soon. I have a problem with the follow up proceedures afterwards. It's my geographical location that's messing me up.

I can't do the follow up. Unless, he'll let me do the follow up 1 week, 1 mth and 6 mths. in Chicago about 3 hrs. away. Bummer, he does have a friend in Chicago another Dr. that might be able to do this but I haven't heard anything yet. I think I'm out of luck.

Thanks for the heads up bud. You know I appreciate it.

Regards,

C.C.~~timing is everything. Shape is over rated....

stickman
11-24-2002, 04:42 AM
Chris, I tried the monovision (one contact) and had the same experience. I don't know how people get used to having something stuck to their eye. My eye was constantly red and irritated, and my vision was not nearly as good as with bifocals. I hated glasses, but decided they were the lessor of the evils.

Chris Cass
11-24-2002, 09:02 AM
Hi Jim,

I have trouble seeing the tip of my cue. When down on the shot I lose the vision of the tip placement on the cb. This means I have to basically go with my intuition. I went from a 12.5mm shaft in which I like, to a 12.75mm and now I'm using a 13mm shaft. Still I see it blurry. This effects my game tremendously. I have to rely on judgement and hope it's right. Brutal.... Thanks for the post.

Regards,

C.C.

9 Ball Girl
11-25-2002, 04:14 PM
Do you think that maybe, just maybe if your ferrule were the color black you would be better at aiming the tip on the cue. For some reason or other, I use to "lose" where my tip was because the CB is white and my ferrule is white so it all used to blend in.

Just one of my "I'm at work and can't wait to get out of here to go play in my league tonight and then go off to Golden Cue and see my other friends play" thoughts.

Rod
11-25-2002, 04:47 PM
Hi Chris,
It took me a little while to adjust to mine. Not the vision or brain part but putting them in. After a month or two it's fairly easy. Man my eyes would hurt for a while because of all the abuse they took from me putting them in. Not seeing the ferrule or tip very well was really not a problem, it was the fuzzies around the balls.

The bad part, for me, is they dry out so I carry a bottle of tears. I read earlier about 3 font type, what does that look like? LOL I use to be able to see that small stuff. Wouldn't it be great to see, might even be able to make a ball. /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Chris Cass
11-25-2002, 06:20 PM
Hi Wendy,

It's really blurry and as Rod said, the balls look like there's an outside ghost to them. What I end up doing is stroking the tip down to the cloth in front of the cb to see it better. I normally don't do this but when I need to look at it then it's easier.

Thanks for your thoughts no matter if you down play them. It's cool.

Regards,

C.C.~~ /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Chris Cass
11-25-2002, 06:23 PM
Rod,

How come I get the sneaky suspicion your trying to take my money? /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Regards,

C.C.~~Rod working the hustle on the Cassman.... /ccboard/images/graemlins/cool.gif

Rod
11-25-2002, 09:50 PM
Chris, I forgot how /ccboard/images/graemlins/wink.gif lol I hope that works out for the operation. I don't want to be the first lab rat I know!
BTW Happy birthday last week, I haven't been on this side of the board for a while.

~~~ rod hustle CC, I've got to have a game first------- /ccboard/images/graemlins/frown.gif

9 Ball Girl
11-26-2002, 12:14 AM
It took me a long time to adjust to my lenses, and they're the hard lenses at that! But what a world of difference when I put them on. I couldn't believe I use to shoot without them. I would see fuzzies around the edges of the balls. I sort of just "felt" my way around the table. Once I put those suckers in my eyes, I had to sort of readjust where I was aiming 'cause everything was clear as corn--er I mean day. /ccboard/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Even after I received my lenses, I still was reluctant to wearing them until Gerda told me that she wears only 1 hard lense in one of her eyes (I forget which). I was sold after that. I do get the dryness and like Rod, I carry artificial tears with me. My eyes dry up when the air is dry.

Chris Cass
11-26-2002, 12:37 AM
Hi Wendy,

I might just try them out again. I have the soft ones and disposible. Thanks for the thought. Oh, I see you cleverly mentioned the corn thing. HAHAHAHA Good job....

Regards,

C.C.~~who said blondes were dumb? /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif