PDA

View Full Version : What is your average score in the Q-skill test?

11-20-2002, 04:03 AM
I don't know fargo, but I've heard it's very simmilar to Equal offense..

The way I play, I shoot only 1 set of 10 racks and determine my score from 0 - 200. My variance isn't bad, here is an average session for me:

12 - 10 - 20 - 16 - 18 - 14 - 10 - 12 - 18 - 20

so my score this session would be: 150

So if 75 is average and 200 is pro, I would probably be an A or B player, depending on where I was playing.

I'm just curious as to anyone elses' scores.

If you've never tried it, I suggest going tommorow or sometime this week to a pool hall or bar with free pool, with a sheet of paper and play 10 racks.. see how you do.

I'm also doing this on a table with extremely small pockets (4-1/8" at the end of the pocket, 4-5/8 at the opening) They're shimmed really wierd, so they rattle alot if you hit too hard! /ccboard/images/graemlins/frown.gif

TonyM
11-20-2002, 03:00 PM
How do you get a 20 in equal offense?

I've always used 1 point per ball, for a 15 point maximum per inning?

How are you scoring it?

Tony
-there's another way to score it?

SpiderMan
11-20-2002, 05:12 PM
That's a very exceptional set of scores for a non-expert Fargo player!!!! Most "A" (or below) players I know will almost always have one or two very low scores (zero through five) in any given ten-rack game. Your "average" game doesn't show anything below 10!!!

I played Fargo with pro Dick Lane (we alternate innings) a few months ago, even he had a six in his game.

The "low inning" happens, for example, when you try to break out a trouble cluster with your initial ball-in-hand and rattle the shot. You swear you never take a Mulligan?

BTW, if it's the same Fargo game I play, the range of possible scores is 0-300. Of course, no human alive could score a 300. Maybe that leaves Patrick. We should ask him to try some virtual Fargo and report back.

SpiderMan (average 130 on nine-foots and 160 on eights)

11-20-2002, 05:50 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote TonyM:</font><hr> How do you get a 20 in equal offense?

How are you scoring it?

Tony
-there's another way to score it? <hr /></blockquote>

Yes, the way it's scored is you get 10 points for the first 10 balls, and the last 5 balls you have to run in numberical order for a score of 2 points each, making the rack worth 20.

11-20-2002, 05:56 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote SpiderMan:</font><hr> That's a very exceptional set of scores for a non-expert Fargo player!!!! Most "A" (or below) players I know will almost always have one or two very low scores (zero through five) in any given ten-rack game. Your "average" game doesn't show anything below 10!!!

I played Fargo with pro Dick Lane (we alternate innings) a few months ago, even he had a six in his game.

The "low inning" happens, for example, when you try to break out a trouble cluster with your initial ball-in-hand and rattle the shot. You swear you never take a Mulligan?

BTW, if it's the same Fargo game I play, the range of possible scores is 0-300. Of course, no human alive could score a 300. Maybe that leaves Patrick. We should ask him to try some virtual Fargo and report back.

SpiderMan (average 130 on nine-foots and 160 on eights) <hr /></blockquote>

I attribute my score to having a really good break, and I can get the cueball to stop in the middle of the table, and all the balls spread (with very few clusters) alot of the time.. however, like I said, that is like an average rack.. I do have below average racks that consist of a 3 or 4. /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif No mulligans. If you don't get mulligans at a tournament, I don't get 'em playing in practice either. /ccboard/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

11-20-2002, 05:59 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Seattle-kid:</font><hr> <blockquote><font class="small">Quote TonyM:</font><hr> How do you get a 20 in equal offense?

How are you scoring it?

Tony

Yes, the way it's scored is you get 10 points for the first 10 balls, and the last 5 balls you have to run in numberical order for a score of 2 points each, making the rack worth 20. <hr /></blockquote>

Oh, and I'm actually playing by the Q-skill rules also.. not the actual equal offense or fargo rules.. but I don't remember if the rules are different as far as scoring.

Popcorn
11-20-2002, 06:07 PM
I don't think so. I believe you can choose to go it order at any time. That makes a rack score of 30 posable if you run the whole rack in order. Once you switch, that is it for the rest of the rack. I may begin going in order with 10 or 12 balls on the table if I like the way they look.

smfsrca
11-20-2002, 06:30 PM
Tony
Equal Offense is played the same a 14.1 so when you've completed a 14 ball run you rerack and contunue shooting to a maximum of 20 points.
http://www.tourboard.com/ieo/about/ieofaq.htm

Steve

Rod
11-20-2002, 08:58 PM
Spidey,
As you know I played that game a lot earlier in the year. I still do but not often. Playing with another person can effect your score, I know my score would drop somewhat. I like getting very warmed up then play 3 or 4 racks before I keep score. The break is critical IMO, too hard then your spotting balls, not good. In a few sessions I had one 30 rack and several low to high twentys. There was usually a rack maybe two where I didn't run the balls. I'll turn to rotation ASAP even if I know I may not run the rack. Starting early is double points so even if you leave 2 or 3 balls it still can be a higher score. Playing one point per ball and switching over at the end may be a lower score. It just depends on the rack. I have had to run most off breaking out balls or clusters then switch as late as 4 balls, it can happen.

Alfie
11-20-2002, 09:36 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote SpiderMan:</font><hr> average 130 on nine-foots and 160 on eights <hr /></blockquote> Interesting, Spidey. How do you do on seven footers with an equal sized cueball?

TonyM
11-21-2002, 12:37 AM
Thanks! Jeez, I can't believe I didn't know that!
I've always just played it to 15 points per rack!

Tony
-no wonder my scores aren't as high as some others!

TonyM
11-21-2002, 12:38 AM
Aren't you confusing Q skill with equal offense?

Tony
-no rotation in equal offense

TonyM
11-21-2002, 12:40 AM
That's the Fargo rules. I thought we were talking about equal offense?

Tony
-o.k., it's official, I'm confused....

TonyM
11-21-2002, 12:42 AM
"Oh, and I'm actually playing by the Q-skill rules also.."

Oh man! You guys are really confusing me!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I thought we were talking about equal offense?

And yes they are scored differently. There is no rotation in equal offense, so no 2 points per ball.

So you cannot compare scores from the two games.

Tony
-I give up...someone tell me what game we are talking about??????

smfsrca
11-21-2002, 01:31 AM
Save TonyM's sanity.
There may be a little confusion here.
Fargo, Equal Offense and Q-Skill are 3 similar but different games.
Fargo http://www.playpool.com/rsbasp/fargo/#rules
- Shoot any ball for 1 point per ball, change to rotation at anytime for remainder of rack for 2 points per ball.
Q-Skill http://www.nmt.edu/~billiard/qskills_scorecard.html
- Shoot any ball for first 10 balls for 1 point per ball. Switch to rotation for last 5 ball and 2 points per ball
Equal Offense http://www.tourboard.com/ieo/about/ieofaq.htm
- Shoot 14.1 for a maximum of 20. Always 1 point per ball.
Good Luck Tony

Steve

Paul_Mon
11-21-2002, 05:50 AM
I played Fargo a couple of times and scored in the low 120's. My pattern of play was to shoot about 10 balls random and the balance in rotation. I also played all of my games on a 9' table. Ed Mercier (sp) at Playpool.com runs tournaments and keeps the scores of each. He has a rating system based on points scored.

Paul Mon

11-21-2002, 07:44 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote TonyM:</font><hr> Aren't you confusing Q skill with equal offense?

Tony
-no rotation in equal offense <hr /></blockquote>

Yes I am.

Ok, sorry for confusion, I'm talking strictly Q-skill test here. I think that the Q-skill test is a good way to test ones overall performance at pool. I've never played fargo or Equal offense, so I didn't know the scoring system was different.. I just remember everyone saying all those games are very simmilar.

Anyways, the Q-skill test is an open break with the option of ball in hand or putting the cueball on the footspot after the break for a loss of 1 point, and you run 10 balls for 1 point each, and the next 5 in rotation for 2 points a piece, for a total of 20 max. points per rack.

Geez.. I need to drink more coffee...
sorry.

Karatemom
11-21-2002, 07:59 AM
I have not played Fargo yet, but my previous QSkill test score was 576, which I believe is rated an intermediate player. The only "tests" that I have done lately are Target Pool courses. I haven't figured up an average because they are scored per course, not all-around.

Heide

SpiderMan
11-21-2002, 08:51 AM
I've never played Fargo on a 7' table. Around here, those are all coin-op.

Fargo scores are definitely equipment-related. My local 8-footers have fairly loose pockets, plus I am very accustomed to them because of my league play. The nines are less familiar to me, and have much tighter pockets, which affects my shotmaking percentage. Since Fargo is basically an offensive-skills test, it's very much about runout shooting.

SpiderMan

Fred Agnir
11-21-2002, 08:55 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote TonyM:</font><hr> How do you get a 20 in equal offense?

How are you scoring it?

Tony
It goes to twenty balls. You still setup and a break shot after 14 balls, and go 5 more balls after that for a maximum inning score.

Fred

SpiderMan
11-21-2002, 08:56 AM
What happens to balls made on the break in this game? Are they spotted like in Fargo?

SpiderMan

Fred Agnir
11-21-2002, 08:56 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Seattle-kid:</font><hr> [Yes, the way it's scored is you get 10 points for the first 10 balls, and the last 5 balls you have to run in numberical order for a score of 2 points each, making the rack worth 20. <hr /></blockquote>
Your playing Q-skills, not Equal Offense.

Fred

Fred Agnir
11-21-2002, 09:05 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Popcorn:</font><hr> I don't think so. I believe you can choose to go it order at any time. That makes a rack score of 30 posable if you run the whole rack in order. Once you switch, that is it for the rest of the rack. I may begin going in order with 10 or 12 balls on the table if I like the way they look. <hr /></blockquote>
That's FARGO.

Fred

Rich R.
11-21-2002, 10:57 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote SpiderMan:</font><hr> What happens to balls made on the break in this game? Are they spotted like in Fargo?

SpiderMan <hr /></blockquote>
The balls stay down, SpiderMan, and they count.
There are also penalties for scratching and a few other things. Check out all the rules.
http://www.nmt.edu/~billiard/qskills_scorecard.html

Rod
11-21-2002, 12:28 PM
Humm, the thread got started as Q-Skil, then fargo was brought up and equal offense. depends on whom your talking to I guess. LOL

SpiderMan
11-21-2002, 12:38 PM
I se why the disparity in scores in this discussion, we are all talking about three different games /ccboard/images/graemlins/wink.gif

SpiderMan

Terry
11-21-2002, 01:24 PM
Hi Tony, I think you were playing Ball in Hand Equal Offense ( the practice game ) which goes to a max. score of 150, it was discribed in the 50th annaversary rule book ( 1998 ). The other way, whith a max. score of 200, is the actual game. The Q-skill as well as Fargo are different yet again. Terry