PDA

View Full Version : Any FEAR while playing pool?

CarolNYC
11-21-2002, 03:16 AM
A friend and I were discussing fears,such as an opponent,hated shot or phrase-does anyone have a certain fear while playing?
Carol~Use to be afraid of the dark,ha ha ha ha

bluewolf
11-21-2002, 05:29 AM
Yeah,that my captain will call 'time out' when i am down on the ball, focussed and ready to shoot.

blu

Voodoo Daddy
11-21-2002, 07:38 AM
Fear? Be afraid of losing a loved one, be afraid of nuclear bombing, be afraid of Voodoo in a dark alley {ok, dont} but dont fear anything or anyone at the table. Fear is an ugly emotion...like hate. I fear only one thing...3 women from NY that are about to bring their onslot to Miami in 11 days or so...someone pray for me!!!

stickman
11-21-2002, 08:00 AM
Yes, I fear not performing well, not normally, but mostly in upper level playoffs. (Don't want to let the team down.) I'm working on it, but would be lying to say otherwise. I get nervous and it causes me sickness. /ccboard/images/graemlins/frown.gif (IBS)

CarolNYC
11-21-2002, 08:16 AM
Voodoo,Two are from NY-one from Pennsylvania-and the only fear you have is that your gonna be loved and hugged!:):):):)
Carol~cant wait!:):):):)

CarolNYC
11-21-2002, 08:23 AM
Oh Jim,
Yes,yes,yes,I give you an IMMENSE amount of credit for teamplaying-I feel that is the most intense pressure,dependency and "all up to you" sort of thing that could be goin on! Oh my goodness! At least when your playing solo,its your own loss, but for teammates,Oh My God,I cant!
I wish you the VERY best of luck!
Carol~will be on a team at Amsterdam in January!wish me luck!:)

rackmup
11-21-2002, 09:38 AM
[ QUOTE ]
...that my captain will call 'time out' when i am down on the ball...<hr /></blockquote>

For me, this isn't a 'fear', but it is an incredible distraction. OPC plays on an APA team with a Captain that 'overcoaches' every single one of his players, including OPC (and OPC would run circles around his game.)

Last Monday night, I joined this team as a sub. I'm down on an 8-ball safety shot and I hear "TIME OUT!" I composed myself, listened to his idea vs. my idea and went ahead and shot it my way.

League Captains need to learn to have more faith in their players, otherwise, risk having an entire basket of 'Jalapeno Death Wings with Fries' shoved down their throat to keep them quiet.

Regards,

Ken

11-21-2002, 10:12 AM
Here are two killers...The fear of winning and the fear of looking bad....I probably have the latter.

CarolNYC
11-21-2002, 10:33 AM
Aww Richard,
You have to have that "Thrill of Victory" and although Ive never seen you play,I guarantee you look great!
Carol:)

smfsrca
11-21-2002, 11:03 AM
All players must feel some form of fear at one time or other.
Anxiety over not getting the shape you wanted.
Doubt in your ability to make a particular shot.
Awe for your opponent, who you know will run out.
You also can't predict when it will creep into your game.
I've seen top players whose anxiety was so high that they simply could not pull the trigger for a straight in shot 1 diamond from the pocket.
I think my biggest problem is the ball before the money ball. I want so bad to have a gimmee on the money that I mistroke on the ball before. I've had a lot of sweet seven ball runs.

Strong mechanics, a great touch, and high confidence are the enemies of fear.

Steve

11-21-2002, 12:33 PM
I think that people who tend to be hard on themselves and expect the most may be the ones who suffer most from anxiety. I myself can have a problem with nervousness and anxiety, just kinda the way I am. I worry about ever having to take a lie detector test because I'll be found guilty whether I am or not! /ccboard/images/graemlins/blush.gif
Seriously though, I too think confidence is the best cure. In my first tournament after several years away from the game, I was literally shaking. Even though it's just a small, local tourney, I was worried that I was jumping back in too quickly and that I'd stink the joint up. Well, I didn't do all that badly after all and just barely missed the money by taking 5th place. In the next tourney, I wasn't nearly as nervous as the last, and I got into the money with 3rd place. I still made some mental flubs, but I felt a whole lot more confident overall. I think what really helped me in that tournament was consciously switching my thoughts from negative to positive. Instead of worrying about, "what if I stink," or, "am I ready?" I was thinking, "I can do this!" With the next tourney I've set my sights on 1st place. Nobody's going to stop me but me. And that guy who's kicked me out of the winners bracket two times in a row? Let me at him!
Hey, just getting pumped. /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Oops, negative to positive.

Rod
11-21-2002, 01:53 PM
Well yes Carol I do, and thanks for asking. My worst fear is if I have a pool functional brain! It might be out taking a nap somewhere. /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

bluewolf
11-21-2002, 05:09 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote rackmup:</font><hr> &lt;/font&gt;&lt;blockquote&gt;&lt;font class="small"&gt;Quote:&lt;/font&gt;&lt;hr /&gt;
...that my captain will call 'time out' when i am down on the ball...<hr /></blockquote>

For me, this isn't a 'fear', but it is an incredible distraction. OPC plays on an APA team with a Captain that 'overcoaches' every single one of his players, including OPC (and OPC would run circles around his game.)

Last Monday night, I joined this team as a sub. I'm down on an 8-ball safety shot and I hear "TIME OUT!" I composed myself, listened to his idea vs. my idea and went ahead and shot it my way.

League Captains need to learn to have more faith in their players, otherwise, risk having an entire basket of 'Jalapeno Death Wings with Fries' shoved down their throat to keep them quiet.

Regards,

Ken <hr /></blockquote>

the two guys that alternate as captains arent any better than me, really. dont know how they keep their sl. last week i was down on a shot which happened to be an easy bank. now i could see it was already in the pocket, and my coach tried to keep me from taking it.i hadnt played for a few weeks . ww is gungho on apa n stuff. i am taking a break from league next session, starting to feel these sl # dont mean too much and people i used to hold in awe dont seem so hot anymore...so am taking a break and playing local tournaments and working on my on pool stuff.

blu

stickman
11-21-2002, 05:29 PM
Good Luck to you, Carol, and NO FEAR! /ccboard/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Jim

Tom_In_Cincy
11-21-2002, 07:59 PM
Not a fear... but more of a 'dread', there are a few (only 2 or 3) players that I just don't like playing. They are not enjoyable opponents. They over analyse, take way too much time (and usally miss) or they display way too much emotion when they miss.. blaming the miss on everything but themself.

CarolNYC
11-22-2002, 05:31 AM
Hey Tom,
We have a player similar to what you are describing-she takes at least two hours just for a race to 7-unbelievable,and like you said,its a dread!Not a fear-thats when we need the shotclock in play:)
Carol

CarolNYC
11-22-2002, 05:35 AM
Ha Ha Ha Rod,
When I drove for 4 hours to a tournament-I get to the pool hall just to practice for an hour-couldnt make a shot, so described myself as "ROAD KILL!" ha ha ha-but I have learned to not oVERTHINK,ugh-and trust the shot!:)
Stay well!
Carol

CarolNYC
11-22-2002, 05:39 AM
Way to goChris,
turn that negative to a positive-you KNOW you can make a shot-somtimes when I come upon a shot I dislike but have practiced,I say"YAY,drill shot" and slam that sucker in!:)
Carol

CarolNYC
11-22-2002, 05:42 AM
Hey Steve,
How about the most easiest shot,like dead-in,where you dont take the time to stroke because you think you got it-then miss-UGHHHH-thats a killer!
Carol~will take time on EVERY dead shot!

bluewolf
11-22-2002, 05:43 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Tom_In_Cincy:</font><hr> Not a fear... but more of a 'dread', there are a few (only 2 or 3) players that I just don't like playing. They are not enjoyable opponents. They over analyse, take way too much time (and usally miss) or they display way too much emotion when they miss.. blaming the miss on everything but themself. <hr /></blockquote>

A dread is right. This is one of the reason the APA matches here go so long, no time restrictions. I have seen this particularly after they have used their allowed coaching and "lord forbid' have to think for themselves.

We have this german guy on our team and there is a language barrier with him so we have had a hard time teaching him subtle things like etiquette.

At the first of the season, I was playing this real slow player, I mean really slow, and the german guy starts yelling 'shoot, shoot!!!' Luckily ww was able to shut him up before anybody on the other team saw him. &lt;G&gt;

blu

CarolNYC
11-22-2002, 05:45 AM
Your the Best,thanks!
"NO FEAR"
Carol

11-22-2002, 08:11 AM
Boy, I hate those!
You know those mental flubs I mentioned?
Rushed an easy straight in shot and rattled it.
The hard shots are easy, it's the easy ones that are hard! /ccboard/images/graemlins/wink.gif

11-22-2002, 09:45 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote CarolNYC:</font><hr> A friend and I were discussing fears,such as an opponent,hated shot or phrase-does anyone have a certain fear while playing?
Carol~Use to be afraid of the dark,ha ha ha ha <hr /></blockquote>

I fear that someone I win in a tournament is going to swing his cue at me. One person in perticular who is a great player, and is one of the "winning circle" around here can never beat me, and it pisses him off. He's already a hot-head, and throws balls, sticks, people (just kidding about that) around the place if he loses.. the other week he bounced a ball off the table so hard it hit the roof (about 20 feet up) and he was kicked out.

I think he moved now though. (Phew..) /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Chris Cass
11-22-2002, 10:16 AM
Hi Voodoo,

I don't fear for you there. I fear for you when they all leave. I hate to see a grown man beg. "Oh, don't go ladies, Please, Please." You'll be so spoiled I guarantee it...

Regards,

C.C.~~lucky Voodoo....

Chris Cass
11-22-2002, 10:45 AM
Hi Carol,

You want to talk fear? I have a many fears. One, oh heck, I'll list them.

1) The fear I'll over emphasize of where I don't want whitey to go. I'll think, "you just can't land behind that 7 ball." If I do this sure enough, I'll land there perfectly. So I'll acknowledge it then quickly move on to where I need whitey to go.

2) The need to do good in tourney play for fear of looking too bad to my friends at the CCB. LOL True...

3) Keeping negative thoughts out of my head when down on a ball. These creep in and if I don't stand up to regroup? I'll tense up my arm and lose the fluidity of my stroke.

4) Voodoo and that Dang squirt bottle...HAHAHHA

5) Fear I'll have to play Fred Angir in Vegas. I'll have to switch the red circle for a Dynamo red dot. That rolls side ways. hahahahhahahahahha

Regards,

C.C.~~loves Carol /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Stretch
11-22-2002, 12:34 PM
Hi Toots! Long time. A little fear is a good thing. Keeps the juices flowing and the focus fixed. Actually i kinda get off on that feeling of haveing my heart in my throat and a shiver up the back. I LIVE FOR MOMENTS LIKE THAT! WAAWHOOOOOO!! lol

It's not like I'm an adrenalin junky or anything, far from it. But lets face it, where else can you feel so totaly alive and in the moment with something you love. By God it's the most fun your ever going to have with your cloths on, so revel in it! St ~~plays great when scared, plays like crap when board, but plays like a genious when feeling nothing but love~~

Ludba
11-22-2002, 04:11 PM
Sometimes when I'm down on a particularly difficult shot, I suddenly fear that I will be attacked by ravenous cannibals from Minnesota, who tie me up and make me watch myself being eaten, while everyone on my APA team points and laughs at me. That ever happen to you guys?

Oh yeah, and I'm deathly afraid of antique furniture.

ludba

Brent
11-23-2002, 01:02 AM
Hi. I got only one fear..and thats playing worse than the last time I played. Usually bad days hit me hard. After playing I still think of the stupid mistakes I made and thats really frustrating.

Brent from other end of the world

CarolNYC
11-23-2002, 02:44 AM
Hey Brent,
I know its easier said than done, but dont think of the mistakes after you've made them-block them out of your mind-the mistake is over-ya know what I mean-thinking of mistakes will make you lose focus on next match-I too, use to do that-and then some days I miss shots that I know I should've made, thats when I know Im "off", then I start playing safes!Until I get back in stroke!
Carol~forget the errors,there history,on to running and pocketing balls!:)

CarolNYC
11-23-2002, 02:54 AM
"Ravenous cannibals" ha ha ha-well,at least you werent tarred and featherd or wearing a thong-right? Could be worse-and,No, I've never been laughed at and if anyone does laugh (teammates)tell them get their a$$es up there and prove themselves on that tough shot!And point? Fuhgeddaboudit-what goes aorund will come around!
arol~would never laugh at another player!

CarolNYC
11-23-2002, 02:59 AM
Stretch,Stretch,Stretch,
Why does your "Hi Toots" sound so nice-hope things are well-I am not an adrenalin junky either,but its the thrill to just see how I can control that cueball-God, I love when a plan comes together!:)
You must be playing like a genious because you are loved and thought of,by me!:)
Carol~has your saying on my fridge!:) "To all the humble beasts there be!"

CarolNYC
11-23-2002, 03:05 AM
Hey Chris,
Yes, that speed control of just moving a little furthur and sharking yourself,God,I hate that-and I couldnt imagine yu lookingbad in front of teammates-teammates should always support eachother,win or lose,at least you tried:)-negative thoughts,think of nothing!compliments of Voodoo!)And yes, you and Fred drawingeachother in vegas will have me standing WAY IN THE CORNER! Cause I wish you both both the best!
Carol~loves Chris right back!:)

CarolNYC
11-23-2002, 03:08 AM
Well there Seattle Kid,
Guess he wasnt as great a player as he thought huh?
Way to go!"Another one bites the dust!"
Carol

CarolNYC
11-23-2002, 03:14 AM
Let them keep blaming it on everything else Tom,
They'll just keep missing and you'll just keep kicking their butts:):):)
Stay well!
Carol

CarolNYC
11-23-2002, 03:16 AM
Oh my goodness Chris, Whats even worse is miscuing BIH on the 9-ball aarrrggggh! Another donation! Never again!
Carol~will stroke and trust the shot! Also chalk,chalk,chalk!;)

Scott Lee
11-23-2002, 09:52 AM
Carol...It has been said that courage is not the absence of fear...courage is the acceptance of the existence of fear, but having the will to go on and overcome it! Sounds like a plan to me! LOL

Scott Lee

rackmup
11-23-2002, 10:25 AM
My fear, actually, my nightmare, happened while playing a few months ago, at a Click's in Dallas. As I remember, it went something like this...

It was early in the afternoon and I was about to meet my first CCB'ers. I was informed by my 'pool sources', that Sid_Vicious, Spiderman, SPetty and the infamous, Scott Lee were going to be at this particular location.

Now, just meeting one of them was terrifying enough, but all four? At the same time?! It was frightening.

I arrived at the room and picked up a tray of balls. OPC and I began playing a little one-hole on a Brunswick GC. There were other people in the place but I didn't see anyone in a Spiderman costume, nor did I see a punk-rocker that might be Sid. SPetty, well, I couldn't find him anywhere either. And Scott Lee? Oh yes...I spotted him right away.

He was in the corner, video camera taping away as he 'schooled' a lady on one of the 8'ers in the back. I have to tell you, he didn't look like he was anything special. I would be proven wrong later in the evening.

After about an hour of hitting balls with OPC, he had enough and was heading out (to one of his female conquerings, no doubt) and I was to be left alone in this room with what, for all I know, could have been a ruthless gang of muggers and thieves! But I wouldn't let the fear show through. Until it happened...

...A surly 'gentleman' approached me and boldly asked, "Are you Ken? Are you 'rackmup'?" With my voice ready to crack under the pressure of having this mountain of a man standing before me, I replied, "Who wants to know?"

"My name is Martin...'Sid_Vicious' is who you know me as." He then extended his hand in friendship. "Let me introduce you to 'Spiderman'" he suggested. I was then confronted with a man who had obviously received triple the dosage of growth hormones as a child as he stood almost eight feet tall before me! I stood on a barstool to shake his hand. His cue seemed as small as a toothpick in his hands. I was terrified. He introduced himself as 'Marty'.

I new it was only a matter of time before I was to meet 'SPetty'. I had heard stories of this guy's excessive drinking, flirtatious demeanor and brushes with the LAW. This would prove to be the most eye-opening introduction of the night.

"Susan...come on over here and meet Ken...'rackmup'...You too Scott." I couldn't believe what I was seeing! SPetty was dressed as a woman! "What kind of freak is this guy" I found myself asking. "I thought you were a...um...guy" I said to him/her/whatever as I shook 'it's' hand. "No...I'm a woman. Why did you think I was a guy?" she asked. I now realized those boobs were real and not just so much rolled up paper towels and apologized for my foolish assumptions.

Then...I was standing toe-to-toe with the one and only, Scott Lee. He extended his permanently blue chalk stained hand in friendship. He said it was a "pleasure to meet me" and suddenly, the fears subsided.

Spiderman suddenly went from Jolly-Green-Giant to a person just slightly under seven feet tall. The surly brute known as Sid_Vicious now appeared to be nothing more than a kind, pool-playing gentleman with a penchant for Miller Lites, just like me. SPetty went from visions of a guy named 'Steve' to a very wonderful woman now known to me as Susan. Scott Lee? Well...he went from a 'Pool Instructor' to what he truly is: A tequila-pounding-five-rail-kicking-machine!

We played some team nineball, had a few drinks, experimented with at least seven different brands of jump cues and carried the night late into the evening. A lot of smiles, laughs and fun was had on this once terrifying night that ended in new friendships.

Yep...them CCB'ers are some scary (but nice) folks.

Regards,

Ken (tellin' another story)

Scott Lee
11-23-2002, 11:42 AM
Ken...It never fails! You simply CRACK me up! Just curious...but do you call it "Nightmare on Skillman"? LOL

Scott

rackmup
11-23-2002, 11:59 AM
[ QUOTE ]
http://www.thenightmareroom.com/images/intro.gif

The uninformed called Click's on Skillman a "POOL ROOM"...Those who survived it, called it a <font color="red">NIGHTMARE ROOM! </font color>

Join our friendly band of pool players as they expose themselves to torments so horrendous, so ghastly, mere mortal man will never recover...

Featuring:

Scott Lee as the 'Too Friendly Instructor'. Is he teaching you or is he STEALING YOUR SOUL?

Sid_Vicious as the 'Friendly Old Guy'. Friendly? How about SCARY?

Spiderman as 'The Tall Lanky One'. Watch out for that jump cue...it is LETHAL.

SPetty as the 'Voice of Reason'. Or is it...'The Voice of Jose Cuervo'?

RackMup! as the innocent, impressionable young lad. Will he survive this night of terror?

And in a cameo role:

OnePocketChamp as 'Grandpa'. Nice Old man or 'The Brains' behind this BLOODBATH?

and...eg8r as Opie. Just a boy looking for his 'Pa'. In the end, he will KNOW..."WHO'S YOUR DADDY NOW?!"

http://www.nightmareonelmstreet.com/images/rating.gif<hr /></blockquote>

Regards,

Ken

Scott Lee
11-23-2002, 12:09 PM
LOL...just plain LOL! and then add in LMAO!

Sid_Vicious
11-23-2002, 12:12 PM
HEY I take offense at that "Old Guy" comment! I'd probably look better had I not accepted SPetty's shot offers. SHE"S the one to blame, NOT me. ;-)...sid~~~well on the other hand another shot or two wouldn't kill me now would it

Sid_Vicious
11-23-2002, 12:18 PM
I forgot to add my praise Scott,,,rackumup did justice, "da boy can promote" an event all right. Next thing we know he will have his hair all fuzzed up and we can call him "Don Rackumup King!" I don't know about you but after seeing him as he is now, this will be an improvement(a shot for that old guy label)sid~~~gonna be a hellova time though

Chris Cass
11-23-2002, 12:21 PM
Oh Ken,

Your killing me. HAHAHAHA Spiderman or Marty is one of the nicest tallest person I've ever met. My son thinks he's really cool. He's so freakin smart it's scarry. He's also a great conversationalist.

SPetty or Susan I thought also was a man through the board but quickly found out, she's all woman. Not to mention pretty hair also, the girl has heart. She, played Vegas on a broken foot. Not able to fully get down in here stance but she played anyway. Lov her too.

Scott Lee? What can I say? You gotta love this guy. He loves to teach pool. He plays great and is my friend. I wish I could have met Sid, OPC, Egr8 and especially you buddy.

Regards,

C.C.~~thinks SPetty spiked his beer in Vegas. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

CarolNYC
11-23-2002, 10:40 PM
Hey Scott,
"Here I go again,I see the vision,I keep it to myself,it is me ,who wants to be wrapped around this dream-do you have a dream you would like to be wrapped in?":)
Also,its "Not the person in the competition,but the competition in the person!"
Stay very well!
Carol~smiling!

bluewolf
11-24-2002, 05:53 AM
Scott,

Like you have said so many times, it is all in the stroke,man. When my stroke is on, I know no fear, the balls are in the pockets. When my stroke is off, I have plenty to worry about.

That is why I practice my stroke everyday. No elbow drop,stoke straight, home position, head down, and freeze tip on cloth to see if tip goes where I intended to aim.

blu