PDA

View Full Version : Jacked-up shots

Wally_in_Cincy
11-21-2002, 09:23 AM
In the last 4 months I've probably made about 10% of "jacked-up" shots, so last night I decided to practice them....duh /ccboard/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

I found out I was not hitting the cueball on center, resulting in a noticeable masse. Concentrating on a center ball hit, and of course looking at the cueball last, helped considerably. Then Tom_in_Cincy showed me a good way to aim these. Use your cue to line up the shot from cb to ob, sighting the striking point on the cb. Then focus on that striking point without worrying about the ob. At least that's what I understood /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Agree? Disagree? Any other tips you would like to share? TIA

Perk
11-21-2002, 09:30 AM
After reading your post, I thought back to the way that I shoot jacked up shots. I shoot these in the manner that you described. I line up the aiming line to the ob, and find the desired impact spot on the cb, and I focus on that point during impact. I have a higher success rate this way than when I focus on ob like normal. Just my thoughts!

Eric.
11-21-2002, 10:13 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Wally_in_Cincy:</font><hr> In the last 4 months I've probably made about 10% of "jacked-up" shots, so last night I decided to practice them....duh /ccboard/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

I found out I was not hitting the cueball on center, resulting in a noticeable masse. Concentrating on a center ball hit, and of course looking at the cueball last, helped considerably. Then Tom_in_Cincy showed me a good way to aim these. Use your cue to line up the shot from cb to ob, sighting the striking point on the cb. Then focus on that striking point without worrying about the ob. At least that's what I understood /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Agree? Disagree? Any other tips you would like to share? TIA
<hr /></blockquote>

I usually try to do 2 things:

Try to hit the CB as close to middle(no sidespin) as possible. Pretty obvious.

I also aim the cut to the extreme side of the pocket so that if there is a little bit of spin(there usually is), even with throw, the OB still goes.

Eric

dave
11-21-2002, 11:20 AM
I believe you're doing it correctly. Every time the subject of aiming comes up there is usually the debate over watching the cueball or the object ball last. When aiming, you're really trying to establish the visual and spatial relationship between the pocket, the object ball, the cue ball, and the tip placement on the cueball ( not just the cue ball and object ball). If you've established that relationship correctly and your stroke mechanics are sound, then it really shouldn't matter which ball you look at last; you should even be able to shoot the shot with your eyes closed. In the case of the jacked up cue, accurate tip placement becomes critical to avoid the masse, so you are right to focus your attention on the cue ball during stroke execution (after you've established the relationship between those four elements). I too have found this method very helpful in improving consistency and accuracy.

Duke Mantee
11-21-2002, 08:18 PM
Dave:
You mention the importance of stroke mechanics, and I'd like to add a word on that subject. Many players have a tendency to jab at the CB with a short, tight, quick stroke when they're jacked up. I find that I stroke straighter and get better results when I remember to loosen my wrist and stroke through the ball smoothly on jacked-up shots.
D.M.

bigbro6060
11-21-2002, 09:26 PM
Guys, how do u follow through on these shots ?

i have a tendency to strike the cueball, then push the cue out in the same line as the cueball

should i be just stopping the followthrough straight after impact ?

Tom_In_Cincy
11-21-2002, 09:55 PM
Wally,
The two keys elements for a sucessful 'jacked up' shot are the aim and stroke.

You must take the right aim before you bridge and then take practice strokes, deliberate strokes.

Elevate the cue just enough to keep your cue as level as possible. Its like shooting the cue ball frozen on the end rail, down table. You need to make a full hit with a cue as level as possible.

bluewolf
11-21-2002, 10:43 PM
I just learned to shoot these shots a couple of months ago at pool school, so reading your responses gave me some ideas to try. I have been hitting the ob okay but not getting the speed I want.

blu

Chris Cass
11-21-2002, 10:44 PM
Hi Wally,

I agree. Your also basically making a jump shot. Most misses occur when not enough time is taken. These shots along with any jump or masse' shots need to be well planned and executed. More control is required and an understanding that you must stroke clean, smooth and straight.

JAT,

C.C.~~likes to hear two CCBers helping out one another.

Chris Cass
11-21-2002, 10:47 PM
Hi BW,

You have to trust your stroke and let it out. There's no way possible for you to hurt the table.

Regards,

C.C.

bluewolf
11-21-2002, 11:23 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Chris Cass:</font><hr> Hi BW,

You have to trust your stroke and let it out. There's no way possible for you to hurt the table.

Regards,

C.C. <hr /></blockquote>

thanks chris. i think you hit the nail on the head. i need to let out my stroke.

blu

stickman
11-21-2002, 11:37 PM
I agree. This is one of the few shots that I've decided that cueball last is the way to shoot. (plus some close shots) If you've initially lined up correctly and then focus on the cueball, it will fall. The hit on the cueball has to be precise when you are jacked up, as I'm sure you know. Therefore, it only makes sense to focus on the cueball last. IMO

#### leonard
11-22-2002, 07:48 AM
I always extend the point of aim to the cloth and aim to hit the x on the cloth.####

dave
11-22-2002, 08:55 AM
Duke. You and Chris both touch on something I think is significant. When people are jacked up or shooting jump shots they do tend to have a short quick jab or as Chris says, they don't let their stroke out. There is a tendency to be tentative and not follow through firmly. I think this is because people are concerned that they might damage the cloth, or their shaft, or the table and it just isn't going to happen. Use a nice firm, extended follow through as close to normal as possible. That shaft is going to flex and deflect out of the way so don't worry about it. As long as you don't scoop under the ball on a jump shot, there's little risk of hurting the cloth. On the jump shot, you can't grasp the cue; you have to let it bounce off the cueball to get out of the way. I think the quick jab you mention is because of a reluctance to let go of the stick and a fear of loss of control. JMO

SPetty
11-22-2002, 09:41 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote #### leonard:</font><hr> I always extend the point of aim to the cloth and aim to hit the x on the cloth.#### <hr /></blockquote>Now why can't I ever think to do things like that??!? Thanks, ####, great idea!