PDA

View Full Version : Dear Abby:

rackmup
11-21-2002, 11:29 PM
Dear Abby,

I was playing 'Captain's One-Pocket' tonight with my friends and I was the Captain so I am playing against both of my friends. One of my one-pocket friends is really good but the other one, well...let's just he's not so good.
This is where the problem starts. When it's my not-so-good friend's turn to shoot, he takes forever. He asks his partner for advice, where to hit the ball, what english to use, etc. Sometimes he takes almost 5 minutes for each shot and I find myself losing interest in the game.
I had my fill of it tonight so I engaged in some friendly woofing, just to keep myself somewhat awake.
My not-so-good friend said I was "mean". I explained that it's just my way of getting into his head and again, he called me "mean".

Abby, am I mean? How can I be more friendly while maintaining my sharp tongue and competitive spirit?

Regards,

Meanie Ken

Voodoo Daddy
11-22-2002, 02:17 AM
Your mean Ken...ruthless, onery {sp}, callus and a down right skaliwag /ccboard/images/graemlins/shocked.gif...HAHAHAHAHAHA!! Its part of Captians to help the lesser player and he is thankful for it. I for one torture /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif my friends playing Captians verbally...but thats just me

Chris Cass
11-22-2002, 02:32 AM
Don't tell me you gave eg8r another hard time? You really should have let him help OPC out, before you dog the kid. LOL

Regards,

C.C.~~wondering if Ken go his $10. back yet from Ed. I think Ed framed it. hahahhahaha /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

eg8r
11-22-2002, 07:13 AM
When you say [ QUOTE ]
My not-so-good friend <hr /></blockquote>are you still talking about the quality of this persons play or your relationship with this person????

eg8r

eg8r
11-22-2002, 07:18 AM
No Ken has not won any money back. We played 1p because Ken was still a little sore about the other night. It came out in his attitude. I thought I would give him a chance since he was sick and maybe a little grumpy. Well I was wrong, he was downright hateful. lol

For the record: Les and Ed 1 vs Ken 1, Ken and Ed 1 vs Les 0, Ken and Les 0 vs Ed 1. I seemed to have a pretty good night, being on the winning team in 3 out of 4 occasions. One problem with my game is failing to get all the open balls in my pocket. If I make one or two and then need to do a little extra to the cb to get to the next ob I miss (and usually sell out the other ob).

eg8r &lt;~~~Still working on my game

eg8r
11-22-2002, 07:19 AM
You must have had a talk with Ken before our match. lol

eg8r &lt;~~~Man is Ken grumpy

11-22-2002, 09:31 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote rackmup:</font><hr> Dear Abby,

I was playing 'Captain's One-Pocket' tonight with my friends and I was the Captain so I am playing against both of my friends. One of my one-pocket friends is really good but the other one, well...let's just he's not so good.
This is where the problem starts. When it's my not-so-good friend's turn to shoot, he takes forever. He asks his partner for advice, where to hit the ball, what english to use, etc. Sometimes he takes almost 5 minutes for each shot and I find myself losing interest in the game.
I had my fill of it tonight so I engaged in some friendly woofing, just to keep myself somewhat awake.
My not-so-good friend said I was "mean". I explained that it's just my way of getting into his head and again, he called me "mean".

Abby, am I mean? How can I be more friendly while maintaing my sharp tongue and competitive spirit?

Regards,

Meanie Ken <hr /></blockquote>

Dear Meanie Ken,

Your friend should realize that it is almost rude and disturbing to take 5 minutes before each shot, just so that he can miss it anyways. If he wants to play pool, he should do so enough that he can figure out for himself what shots to shoot.. perhaps he could pick up some books.. but for now, 1-pocket is more of a game reserved for either two good players, or two not-so-good players.. and if I found myself in the middle of a good player game, and I was NOT playing so good, I'd gladly oust myself in favor or watching and learning.

-not quite Abigail Van Buren. (sp?)

stickman
11-22-2002, 09:55 AM
Ken, I suggest that you take a more direct approach, and talk to you friend. Explain to him that his indecision and delays are as much a sharking maneuver to you as your woofing is to him. Also explain to him that you're paying table time while he stands around scratching his head. If that doesn't work, show him what mean is, and crack him over the head with the big end of your stick. HeHeHe http://smilies.networkessence.net/s/contrib/blackeye/lol.gif J/K

rackmup
11-22-2002, 10:02 AM
I certainly consider this person to be a very good friend.

Regards,

Meanie Ken

rackmup
11-22-2002, 10:27 AM
Dear Abby,

While I can find myself in agreement with a teammate helping the lesser-skilled player, there should be limitations.

Example:

Not-so-good-friend @ 8:30PM
"Les, should I take the six or safety off the two and leave the cueball in his pocket?"

Les @ 8:30PM
"Play the safety."

This would take about 2-5 seconds and would be acceptable.

This is what I face, however:

Not-so-good-friend @ 8:30PM
"Les, should I take the six or safety off the two and leave the cueball in his pocket?"

Les @ 8:30PM
"Play the safety."

Not-so-good-friend @ 8:31PM
"I don't understand, could you please explain in greater detail?"

Les @ 8:31PM
"Sure...no problem. As I have illustrated here on the dry-erase board, if you just nudge the edge of the two-ball, it should glance off the ball, striking the end rail first, then caroming off the eleven-ball, eventually striking the long rail and rolling slowly to the edge of his pocket. Here...look at this graph paper that I have illustrated the shot on. You see? This is a much better shot that the one you were thinking of taking."

Not-so-good-friend @ 8:32PM
"Really? I still have my doubts."

Les @ 8:32PM
"Okay, look at this. I have entered the two different shots on my 'Grady Mathews Shot Global Positioning Unit' and it clearly shows...excuse me, Clinton (pool room owner), could you dim the lights over our table so the display on my GPS unit shows up better? Great. Thanks. Anyway, as you can see, the balls will do everything I say they will."

Not-so-good-player @ 8:34PM
"I hate to be such a party-pooper but I still don't see how I am to execute this shot in the manner that you have outlined."

Les @ 8:35PM
"This should make it easier...while the lights are dim, watch this video on the monitor. The shot you are pondering is very similar to the one Hall faced against Strickland in this match...Look! See what Hall did? That is what I want you to do. Look how great it worked! Let's watch the rest of the video."

Not-so-good-friend @ 9:05PM
"Wow! That video really opened my eyes. Where did you get it?

Les @ 9:10PM
"I actually received it as a gift. I have an extra copy if you want it. We can run to my place and pick it up if you wish."

Not-so-good-friend @ 9:11PM
"Wow Really? Man, you are swell!

Les @ 9:12PM
"Let's go get it."

Not-so-good-friend @ 9:12PM
"Great!"

This is clearly an abusive use of time between shots. I just believe that after any man has reached a certain age, he should be able to make basic decisions by himself and not at the expense of others.

Abby, am I wrong?

Regards,

Mean Ken In Texas

Chris Cass
11-22-2002, 11:01 AM
Hi Ed,

The whole thing about 1 hole is the stroke. It must be smooth and also it's constant. The best thing to remember is being on the right side of the ball. You don't have to make all your balls. Just get them to or in the vacinity of your pocket.

Some quick help. If your up a couple balls? Push the pack up table and on your side of the table. Don't take any chances on a possible sell out unless, you feel you can get out. When banking a ball straight back the length of the table. Make sure the speed of the ob is such that if you do miss? It'll land on the back rail. The side rail short will give your opponent a cross corner bank for sure.

Another is watch OPC. Watch his stroke and shot selection. His speed and ask a question if you need to.

Regards,

C.C.

eg8r
11-22-2002, 12:57 PM
Oh alright, now we can move on with the rest of the help.

eg8r

rackmup
11-23-2002, 10:54 AM
Dear Abby,

I want to thank you for your advice. Last night, I played eg8r some 9-ball, and 10-ball and for the most part, beat him easily. It seems he was confused and puzzled by my good sportsmanship! I did manage a few good one-liners but I was prompted by a friend of his (a rather attractive, tall young lady) who had a sharp tongue like mine. If it had not been for her, I would have scored 100% on the 'Best Behavior Report Card'.

I'll be beating him again today. I'm sooo excited!

Soaring in Texas,

Ken the Meanie