PDA

View Full Version : Article on choking in golf magazine..

11-22-2002, 09:50 AM
I was working last night, and on my break, read an article in our magazine section, in a golf magazine, about choking. It was very good, and helped give me some ideas on how to keep my confidence up during a tightspot in a match or tournament.

It talked about the fight or flight syndrome that everyone has, and how it relates to us when we see an obstacle in our path to success.. in golf, it would be a water hazzard or sand pit.. in pool it could be anything.. our opponent, the score, the layout..

anyways.. if you can find it, it's definatly worth reading.. and you can't miss it on the cover.. giant letters, and I think bright orange background.

Perk
11-22-2002, 09:53 AM
Golfers Digest? /ccboard/images/graemlins/confused.gif

Sid_Vicious
11-22-2002, 01:05 PM
http://www.robertlinville.com/teaching/tobin/tobin_mar02.pdf

Found this just now with a word seach. May not be the one you read, but I can associate with the theories, and am considering new practice methods...sid

AustinFilAm
11-22-2002, 02:13 PM
Sid,
Great article!. That explains why Efren doesn't choke under pressure or around big crowds. When they shoot pool in the P.I., others gather around the table cheering or critiquing his shot. I think it's called "Ethnic group sharking practices". /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Angelo

wolfdancer
11-22-2002, 10:19 PM
Golf Magazine, Dec 2002 issue, and the (cover) background is green, but the article background color is Orange, as you remembered. Saw an entire team suffer "esophageal constriction" the other nite while blowing a big lead, and finally losing the match. As the other team pulled closer, they began making missing shots and making poor decisions...well, been there, done that... Good article though, and maybe someone will quote from the mag, on how to deal with choking

wolfdancer
11-22-2002, 10:26 PM
Sid, good article; thanks for the link