PDA

View Full Version : Pros Using McDermott?

03-08-2002, 02:13 PM
McDermott cues seem to have a good reputation but I am not aware of any pros who endorse their cues. Does anyone know any?

Jay M
03-08-2002, 05:47 PM
Reason #1 - McDermott doesn't sponsor any pro players and won't any longer according to my sources

Reason #2 - When all is said and done, a McDermott is still a production cue. Most pros have cues made to their personal specs and McDermott doesn't do that (to my knowledge).

BTW, I believe I was the only one shooting a McDermott at the US Open and that was because my meucci's (which I've used for 8 years) were stolen.

Jay M

03-08-2002, 07:56 PM
I've used a McDermott for 15 years. I ordered it with a shaft that 2" longer than standard. Because they considered a custom cue, they engraved my name in the butt. I thought it was a nice touch, it'll be tough for someone to steal it. Jim R.

03-09-2002, 12:51 AM
Corey Duel uses Mcdermott I believe but I guarantee you it's not one like you buy off the shelf.

Shawn

03-09-2002, 01:12 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: Shawn:</font><hr> Corey Duel uses Mcdermott I believe but I guarantee you it's not one like you buy off the shelf.

Shawn <hr></blockquote>

Nope, Viking (not a production line cue).

03-09-2002, 02:46 AM
Viking, I knew that I dont know what I was thinking.

Wally_in_Cincy
03-09-2002, 11:55 AM
MrDermott sponsored Jeanette Lee and her husband George Breedlove until a couple years ago. They quit sponsoring pros because they did not think they were getting a good return on their investment. They decided to put that money into other types of marketing. Larry Johns from McDermott posted that info here awhile back.

I've played with a McD with a SS joint for 3 years and I love it. For the money it's a fine cue.

Q-guy
03-09-2002, 12:23 PM
I few of the pros have used McDermott's over the years. David Howard played with one for years before he got paid by Meucci. So did Mike Massy. I was a McDermott dealer for a long time and had no hesitation recommending their cues. The designs and craftsmanship was tops. Then something changed. They dropped some of the most popular models and began making a million different cues. Most ugly as hell. I also saw what in my opinion was a drop in quality. They would not be my first recommendation any more.

TomBrooklyn
03-09-2002, 12:55 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: Wally_in_Cincy:</font><hr> McDermott...quit sponsoring pros because they did not think they were getting a good return on their investment.<hr></blockquote>I wonder how much it costs a cue company to sponser a pro?

Q-guy
03-09-2002, 01:05 PM
I don't think it is the sponsorship to tournaments so much, as it is the players want salaries. I think the companies feel they can put the money to better use. I bet they can sponsor a small tour for what they would have to spend on one player and get a lot more positive exposure. How many times does the words Joss tour get mentioned on this board alone.

cuechick
03-09-2002, 01:32 PM
As I recall, when Mc D sponsored Jeanette it was touted as the first 6 figure deal in pool. I think it is unfortante that they no longer sponser players. I feel this sport and it's industry leaders need to support each other in order for the growth to continue. The Jeanette deal recieved a lot of publicity and I thought made Pool sound like a serious contender as a 'real' sport. Mc D only hurt themselves by changing this important PR tact. Unfortantly many in this sport are too short sighted...McD chose the road of '1 hand clapping' and may now wonder what happened!

A lot of pros play with factory cues from their sponsors, Allisons C-tec's only modification is it's slightly shorter...As too how much it cost, I am sure that varies from pro to pro....some probaly just get free cues up to others getting touring expenses and entry fees paid and the lucky few may even get an annual income.

03-09-2002, 03:09 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: JimR123:</font><hr> they engraved my name in the butt. I thought it was a nice touch, it'll be tough for someone to steal it. Jim R. <hr></blockquote>

maybe 22 or so years ago a wife bought me a mac, with my name on the butt. the thing came with 2 shafts; an 11 and a 13. the 11mm warped almost as soon as i got it. the 13 took a little longer. fortunately, the fibers in the 13 are so shot that you can straighten it out by bending it and it'll keep any shape you want. i could probably get it to do a good 's'. the cue is beautiful but i never once did a stroke with it that felt good. i've tried every tip you can think of and after a few strokes i put it back in the case. the thing has not been out of the house in many years. i've thought about putting a predator shaft on it but probably it'll just sit next to the rambow in the corner with the cobwebs.

dan

03-10-2002, 04:33 PM
I believe Jeanette Lee was the last; they dropped her because they determined she had insufficient visibility outside the pool universe to be a meaningful endorser for them. My buddy Bill Smith, probably the second-best 3-C player in the US (behind Sang Lee) when he's on, used a McDermott for years and set most of the old ABA records with it, including his personal long run of an ungodly 24. GF

Wally_in_Cincy
03-11-2002, 11:47 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote: Q-guy:</font><hr> I don't think it is the sponsorship to tournaments so much, as it is the players want salaries. I think the companies feel they can put the money to better use. I bet they can sponsor a small tour for what they would have to spend on one player and get a lot more positive exposure. How many times does the words Joss tour get mentioned on this board alone. <hr></blockquote>

A couple years ago I was bitching about McDermott dropping Jeanette Lee and I got this email from Larry Johns at McDermott. He makes his point very well:
------------------------------------------------

Wallace-
I appreciate your support of our fine cues and the Employees who build them.
regarding Jeanette we sponsored her for three years and our sales did not
increase at the end of our three year contract she wanted a substantial
increase which we could not cost or performance justify. To sign Jeanette is
just the beginning then add expenses and production costs to build
commercials around her and on and on, before you know it your entire
marketing budget is tied up in one player and you are building her
personality and not the brand name of your own Company. We surveyed 700
players and 100 dealers regarding how we should build sales and what factors
entered into a players buying decision. Guess what we found out? Pro
endorsements were rated dead last by a wide margin as the least effective
way to promote the sale of our products. this same lesson is being learned
in golf. Pro endorsements are effective for new companies for a while but
not established ones, in golf they are reducing pro endorsements as in the
sneaker business as credibility is lost as people are paid to push product
for the MONEY not because they believe in the product as evidenced by Earl
Strickland who often tells people the cue he plays with handicaps him but he
still wins because of his skill. We listened to our audience and decided to
reinvest in our dealers with promotions and put more value into the cue with
exotic woods, stainless joints, more inlays and hold or even lower the price
and keep the money in the industry where it can be reinvested . Thank youfor
your interest.

-----------------------------------------------

So if J Lee was gettin' 6 figures and wanted a raise I can see why they dropped her. McD isn't a big enough company to throw that kind of money around.

Wally in the Natti