PDA

View Full Version : George Charles Sutton

11-23-2002, 10:01 AM
I am looking for information on George Charles Sutton, who was world champ in the lat e 1800's or early 1900's

Scott Lee
11-23-2002, 11:58 AM
George Sutton, or "Handless George", as he was known, was an expert player who through some quirk of fate, lost both of his arms up past the elbow. He was able to hold the cue with his armpit, and somehow stroke through the CB. A few years ago, I ran into his grandson up at Chris' Billiards in Chicago. He had his grandfather's ORIGINAL cue, and a picture of his grandfather holding the cue. Mike Shamos (the Billiard Archives), or Tom Shaw (P&B editor/Legends of the Road series) may be able to tell you more.

Scott Lee

Chris Cass
11-23-2002, 12:02 PM
Hi Scott,

That is totally amazing. It just goes to show people how much some love this game.

Regards,

C.C.

Ken
11-24-2002, 07:36 PM
Scott, I would describe George's condition as having lost both his arms "down" past his elbows as he certainly appears to have elbows. His forearms appear to be about 4 inches long and he uses them to grip and stroke the cue. He can also write and light and smoke a cigar.

I have some old movie footage dated 1924 showing him shooting and doing the other things. This is on a tape that was made available to CCBers by a fellow poster back in the good old days.
Ken

Scott Lee
11-25-2002, 12:41 AM
Ken...Thanks for the info. I have only seen a couple of pictures of George, and missed that he had elbows. Did he grip the cue by cupping in the bend of his elbow? I always thought he had the cue in his armpit, which would sure make shooting smoothly difficult! LOL I'm bummed that I missed the chance to see that tape!

Scott

Ken
11-25-2002, 08:29 AM
Scott, He uses his armpit only to move the cue around on occasion. Most of the shots are using both forearms to hold the cue and stroking through a bridge. Massé shots are done by resting the cue on his shoulder and stroking with the forearms. He actually seems to be at a bit of an advantage on those shots being able to control very fine movements of the cue. Sometimes he places the cue in one elbow and strokes with the other forearm.

My 1968 BCA Rule Book has his middle initial as "B." so I don't know if "Charles" is wrong or the BCA is wrong.
Ken

Fred Agnir
11-25-2002, 09:05 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Ken:</font><hr>
My 1968 BCA Rule Book has his middle initial as "B." so I don't know if "Charles" is wrong or the BCA is wrong.
Ken <hr /></blockquote>
If memory serves, and lately it just sleeps, there were two George Suttons that were proficient in some form of billiards. One was Handless George Sutton. The other had hands (Handsome /ccboard/images/graemlins/wink.gif ). Maybe George Charles Sutton is the other. Maybe he's neither.

Fred &lt;~~~ hands up in the air

Harold Acosta
11-30-2002, 09:40 PM
From the BCA Website:

Many handicapped people have played the game of pool, but the story of “Handless George” Sutton is truly one of inspiration. Born in 1870, Sutton lost both hands in a sawmill accident at the tender age of eight. Despite his handicap (and long before the days of advanced prosthetics), he studied medicine and graduated from the University of Milwaukee. During his college years, he took up the game of billiards. He became so proficient, he set an 18.2 Balkline world record with a run of 799, in 1921. He took his playing skills on the road, touring the country and amazing audiences for nearly 35 years. He left an everlasting legacy – the resolve of the human spirit – upon his death, in 1938.

[b]<font color="blue">Billiard is a passionate sport for the mind and soul!</font color>
http://www.thebilliardstour.com/images/starscrash.gif