PDA

View Full Version : L/R Brain, Drop & Shoot, Closed Eyes

Sid_Vicious
11-23-2002, 11:04 AM
A thread is already in progress on visualiztion and the left brain and right brain, plus the thinking after down subject is rolled into it. I'd like to propose that for those who think after down on a shot, to try two methods. Intead of sawing wood with the flurry of pre strokes, simply see your shot standing up and immediately come down with the cue in line at the CB, stroke only the one time. That shot went well didn't it? This isn't meant to be a method to adopt but yet an indicator that your body already has the shot made within it's own memories. My point is that you'll see that the shot goes very well without the time to allow questions to enter. This should establish the fact that thinking after down on the shot is a negative thing to do, that's all I'm trying to say. Now I don't expect anybody to think this is rocket science, I was informed about this long ago by better players @$100 an hour and I adopted their opinions(well most of the time, the cheeze still kills me.) Lastly for a test of what some will call the extreme. Try lining up on a trouble shot, ready for that final stroke and then just before the stroke close your eyes and then shoot the shot. Betcha' you just made that shot, but if not try it again and this time take it serious. Doubters seldom succeed...sid

Scott Lee
11-23-2002, 11:53 AM
sid...I think shooting shots with your eyes closed is an excellent way to tell how straight your swing is! I demonstrate this all the time! Terrific practice technique.

Scott

Chris Cass
11-23-2002, 11:59 AM
Hi Sid,

The close your eyes shot after lining up, is a drill I give the first time students, to know what stroking through the ball feels like. I set up two pieces of chalk, one on the head string and another on the next diamond down, from the head string.

I line up balls along the head string from side rail to side rail leaving an inch inbetween them. Then, I have them line up on the shot and look down while shooting them into the corner pocket. After, they're able to do this. I have them follow-through with their cue stick till they can make the cue stop at the chalk, a full diamond down, and their cue tip is on the cloth.

Once they accomplish this. I have them feel the feeling of the stroke in their mind. Then, tell them that's the feel of stroking through the ball and should to obtain, this feel with their eyes open.

Now, they won't follow-through that far normally but the stroke and their fear of going through the cb is noted. IMO It's the first thing I will do with someone that's learning this game.

I also have another one where, they pull their pants down to their knees and run around the pool table, while holding their cue stick above their head. This is done with their eyes open though. I tell them this is what it feels like to shoot a dumb shot. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif Karatemom, didn't go for this one. I guess some students will only go so far, for their instructor.

Regards,

C.C.~~hope BW reads this...