PDA

View Full Version : What Kind of Player are you ?

bigbro6060
11-23-2002, 12:18 PM
We all like to think we can do it all but in reality that's not usually the case

Most players fall into some kind of category

You have the Shotmakers, you have the position players (can be broken down into tip position and speed position players), you have the cautious safety players and the tactical players

then you have the hit and hope players /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Chris Cass
11-23-2002, 12:29 PM
Well Bro,

I'm a cheese riding, ball banging, $hit racking, player sharking, loud mouth, that couldn't run out with BIH on the 8. So, I guess I'm a professional Slop Artist. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Regards,

C.C.~~will show Kato too /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Wally_in_Cincy
11-23-2002, 12:52 PM
Shotmaker I guess because I still have difficulty getting consistent shape. Some of that is due to constantly playing on vastly varying types of tables.

Tom_in_Cincy says I am an "aggressive" 14.1 player, i.e. pocketing balls up-table rather than playing safe.

Ludba
11-23-2002, 03:18 PM
Used to be more on the safety side, now I'm totally tactical. Working on becoming a shotmaker.

Tom_In_Cincy
11-23-2002, 05:14 PM
CC likes to tell some whoppers too..
My report on this guy, is, if he had the legs of a 25 year old.. he'd be giving Corey a hard time..

Tom_In_Cincy
11-23-2002, 05:21 PM
Wally,

My comment about you being 'aggressive' was not as critical as you might think. You are very good at making these shots and being able to be confident at the table is in itself an 'aggressive' aspect. Shooting the ball from the rack with the cue ball between the rack and the end rail, and making them consistantly, is a great confidence booster.

Shoot making and table management are two of the 3 critical needs of 14.1... the other is position.. and you are getting much better at that.

Always a pleasure playing Wally

Popcorn
11-23-2002, 05:57 PM
When I was younger I played too safe. I have always been a very good position player and never what I would call a great shot maker but more often then not, make them when they come up. My game changed when they began playing one foul and I also learned that to beat good players you have to make things happen. I played in a lot of tournaments and would rarely beat a top player. I did not know how easy I was making it for them. Once I became more aggressive, I found if the balls roll right and I play good, I could beat a Miz or a Buddy Hall. I guess I would say, I play smart and aggressive. I am always dangerous, or so I have been told.

11-23-2002, 06:07 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote bigbro6060:</font><hr> We all like to think we can do it all but in reality that's not usually the case

You have the Shotmakers, you have the position players (can be broken down into tip position and speed position players), you have the cautious safety players and the tactical players

then you have the hit and hope players /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif <hr /></blockquote>

Uh.. I'm a shotmaker/position player.. but mostly I go for position. I can make some pretty cool shots, but I'd rather not, and just make the dull, boring, easy, almost-strait-in shots all night.

I'm the player that walks into the tournament and everyone goes "Aw crap.." /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

J/k..

bluewolf
11-23-2002, 06:17 PM
This is a ditto for me. I started out decent at safety and easy position. my offensive play was not as good as my defensive, so am trying to get a more balanced game. I am working on the shotmaking and do ok (not 100% by far) on the easy to medium cuts and straighs. Have about 2 banks in my arsenal and can get in very easy combos. Havent tried jumps and have tried caroms and masses a couple of times. Really putting off all that and serious banking til I get better at cuts. I am constanly working on improving my stroke, follow through and aim.

thaz all folks.

blu

stickman
11-23-2002, 06:28 PM
I'm a position player. Heck, I'll get position even when I miss the shot. Sad but true. /ccboard/images/graemlins/crazy.gif When I'm making shots, I'm pretty good. /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif Probably my planning is lacking. Often making the shot is easy, but making the shot and getting position is tuff. If I planned better, I probably wouldn't get in this situation as often. I'm real agressive, and seldom play safeties. (only if I have no shot) I think I can make almost any shot. I miss mostly when I'm not concentrating or trying to do too much with the cueball.

Popcorn
11-23-2002, 06:54 PM
A while back I made a comment to you about safeties and I would like to clarify something. I sort of said that too safe is not good, but in some cases it can be. With you for example, knowing how to play safe can be a secret weapon. The players you are playing with probably make a lot of mistakes and you can wait and capitalize on them. So in this case conservative play can give you good results, there is little need to take chances, they may just sell out to you. I switch what I do based on the player sometimes. If I am playing a weak player and giving weight. I play conservative. There is no need to take chances, they make a million mistakes. If I am playing an equal player I play aggressive. They don't make many mistakes and I need to make things happen to win. You may say, why don't you just play your best on the weaker player, wouldn't you win? Probably, but surprisingly it is easier the other way. I just did not want to give you bad advice, playing safely in your league may be a good tactic for winning.

Voodoo Daddy
11-23-2002, 07:22 PM
I just heard about the $h!t racking...you mean there is more to your game than that? I would say of my own game that I am a mixed bag of reckless abandonment, creativity and the ability to make something very hard look very hard!!

bluewolf
11-23-2002, 07:28 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Popcorn:</font><hr> A while back I made a comment to you about safeties and I would like to clarify something. I sort of said that too safe is not good, but in some cases it can be. With you for example, knowing how to play safe can be a secret weapon. The players you are playing with probably make a lot of mistakes and you can wait and capitalize on them. So in this case conservative play can give you good results, there is little need to take chances, they may just sell out to you. I switch what I do based on the player sometimes. If I am playing a weak player and giving weight. I play conservative. There is no need to take chances, they make a million mistakes. If I am playing an equal player I play aggressive. They don't make many mistakes and I need to make things happen to win. You may say, why don't you just play your best on the weaker player, wouldn't you win? Probably, but surprisingly it is easier the other way. I just did not want to give you bad advice, playing safely in your league may be a good tactic for winning. <hr /></blockquote>

thanks. i think my safety game was way ahead of my ball pocketing and i wanted to be more balanced.i can always play safe on a low percentage shot but needed to learn to sink balls in the hole &lt;G&gt;

blu

Chris Cass
11-23-2002, 10:10 PM
Well Voodoo,

I heard you put a 6 pack on Kato recently and therefore I think your not exactly putting your cards on the table. I think if you did then it would be Aces Full. I also have 3 of my angels coming down to do some detective work. Your the subject. Hodda ya like it????? /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Regards,

C.C.~~ knock, knock /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Voodoo Daddy
11-23-2002, 10:16 PM
Three angels {lord knows your not refering to the three stooges from the Tri-State area...Moe Larry and Curly}? Who are you, Shemp? 6 Pack of what? Icehouse maybe....Last time I ran a six pack I was on a 5 day binge...HAHAHAHA. Cant wait it get slug racked by the Corn King but remember, your always subject to the water bottle so govern yourself accordingly. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Chris Cass
11-23-2002, 10:38 PM
You know that water bottle puts the fear of God in me. OK, maybe it was 5 racks.

Regards,

C.C.~~knows he's got a bath coming...... /ccboard/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

Tom_In_Cincy
11-23-2002, 10:49 PM
I can see the future... Derby City Classic.. Jan.. Voodoo and CC matching up.. firing bullets... trash talking.. and Kato popping corn.. and me.. laughing my A$$ off

Chris Cass
11-23-2002, 11:28 PM
Hi Tom,

Actually, I think if anything Voodoo and I will team up. Kato will be our runner and you'll be laughing your a$$ off still. HAHHAHHAHHA Just picking on Kato. Someones got to keep the women off Voodoo. We've got some action to get into. LOL

Regards,

C.C.~~owes Tom the first drink of the Derby. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

cueball1950
11-24-2002, 12:25 AM
good question. in my younger days i would play offense all the time. try to make everything all the time. but in my later years i play alot of defense. i will try to run the rack if possible. otherwise i play hide the white ball....lol....................................... .mike

TonyM
11-24-2002, 12:55 AM
I'd say I was a position player, that is slowly trying to become a better shot maker.

Tony
-damn slowly....

dddd
11-24-2002, 11:43 PM
sneak in quiet get the spot
win
leave

na not really

i play most games, so what ever the table or my opponent gives me to look at
i dont think if makes any difference to my play
i play to win. whatever that is is what i will do,
run out if its there,
play safe if it whats available
bank if needed.

dddd

Fred Agnir
11-25-2002, 08:57 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote bigbro6060:</font><hr> We all like to think we can do it all but in reality that's not usually the case

then you have the hit and hope players /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif <hr /></blockquote>
I just play. Players who can't make two balls in a row think I'm a shotmaker. Players who rarely play a safety call me a safety player. Players who can't swing two rails call me a position player. Players who can really play this game call me "rackboy."

Fred

rackmup
11-25-2002, 09:20 AM
[ QUOTE ]
What Kind of Player are you ?<hr /></blockquote>

Ask OnePocketChamp and he'll say I am:

"He's a decent player but that whining..."

Ask eg8r and he'll say I am:

"Mean. Plain old hateful and mean. I hate him."

Ask Ward and he'll say I am:

"Nothing but a gentleman around the table. I've never heard him say a cross word or 'woof' at anyone. If I had a son, I would want him to be like Ken. I did know a woman in Arizona once...He might be my son."

Ask Sid_Vicious and he will say I am:

"He's kinda different. He doesn't drink tequila so I think the 'jury might still be out' on him..."

Ask Spiderman and he will say I am:

"Short. Very Short. I think he's only like 5'10"...5'11"

Ask Scott Lee and he will say I am:

"The purest stroke I have ever seen. Fundamentally perfect. Flawless in his execution and his ability to read a runout pattern off the break is amazing. We played and I rarely got up from my seat."

Ask Kato and he will say I am:

"No idea about the guy's skills but he buys a mean tip-shaper."

Ask Chris Cass and he will say I am:

"Playing ability? Dunno. I do know the guy sent me a book that puts me to sleep and some slug token that won't work in any soda machine."

Ask SPetty and she will say I am:

"One word: SEXY."

What would I say? Shoot...I'm simply too humble to describe my game.

Regards,

Ken (blushing)

eg8r
11-25-2002, 12:34 PM
I am a weekend banger. Ask rackmup, OnePocketChamp, and the new guy at Billy Weir (the one from across the pond that plays 14.1, I believe his name is Richard). They all beat up on little ole me. /ccboard/images/graemlins/frown.gif

eg8r

Ralph S.
11-25-2002, 12:55 PM
Well, C.C., Tom and Voodoo, I really wish I could toss my hat in the ring so to speak and shake things up a little more, but its just this damned job thing in my way LOL. Straight up though, I really would like to meet you all soon and just shoot around for the hell of it.
Ralph S.

SPetty
11-25-2002, 01:22 PM
Really, Ken, it's time to wean off the Nyquil... /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Jimmy Mendoza
11-25-2002, 02:44 PM
[ QUOTE ]

What Kind of Player are you?
<hr /></blockquote>

A has-been before I ever was one /ccboard/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

11-25-2002, 04:31 PM
I guess from the choices you gave, I'd say I'm a shot maker, I have to be because my position play stinks! /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif
I actually like to think I'm pretty well rounded in my game, though I can be aggressive. I'll try shots that others won't, such as caroms or masses, but that might be because I look for the angles and such, and have some confidence that I can make them. Another thing that seems to draw attention is that I can shoot left handed; certainly not as well as right handed, but well enough to get out of a jam. I often wonder why more people don't work on shooting with their off hand. I'll see people stretching across a table, or going for the mechanical bridge for a relatively easy shot, when all one would have to do is shoot with the other hand.
I can have a problem with being streaky, but recently my biggest problem has simply been making poor choices. Just silly, not-thinking type mistakes.

Rod
11-25-2002, 04:55 PM
Agressive, sometimes overly so, my fault. More of a position player, I have to be as I don't see long distance shots all that well.

11-26-2002, 01:40 PM
I thought I used to be a shotmaker, but after seeing all the good local players that don't seem to miss much, I'm gonna try to really improve on my reckless position play. I figure it can't get any worse!!

dave
11-26-2002, 02:12 PM

All of the above but not all at once. I am usually the one that is most inappropriate for the situation. /ccboard/images/graemlins/crazy.gif

LC3
11-26-2002, 05:15 PM
I'm a shotmaker, although position (tip more than speed control) is catching up. I'm focusing almost exclusively on 14.1 these days, so I expect by tactical play to come up too. But I think shotmaking will always be my strong point, because I was making shots since I was a little kid.

Tom_In_Cincy
11-26-2002, 06:00 PM
Ralph,
Your turn will come.. and it will be all in fun.. too..
CCB members are everywhere.

Even in Cincy