PDA

View Full Version : predator cues

bluewolf
11-24-2002, 10:42 AM
i went to poolndart.com and looked at them.

they have spw would is wood wood joint just plain no wrap
they have spj metal joint plain no wrap, both have 314 shaft

next is the 3k series. they are probably better but they all have that linen wrap stuff which i dont like the way it feels.

i just like feeling the cue or maybe leather.

any ideas. the sp series is like 276 mueller cost while the 3k starts at 420 mueller cost. h*ll i just want something that shoots decent, has a relatively stiff shaft and is unlikely to warp. any words of wisdom here?

i am already getting the pred bk for christmas. just want a new cue now.

blu

Ward
11-25-2002, 07:38 AM
BW

I have the Predator SPW and I like it. I have Predator shafts fitted to my custom cue by Wood Woodworth and I like them very much... Predators are not for everybody and they take sometime to adjust but they are all I use...

Later

Mike H
11-26-2002, 09:05 AM
I've shot with Predators for a few years now, and I can say if you want something with a stiff shaft, they are the way to go. And although I don't like the feel of Irish linen, their pressed version feels great. After playing with that, I can't stand holding a leather wrap in my hand. I'd also recommend getting rid of the LePro tip immediately and getting a quality layered tip, like a Talisman, Moori, or Instroke.

Regards,
Mike

Sid_Vicious
11-26-2002, 09:39 AM
Spiderman seems to think that the Predator shaft is not a stiff shaft, but agrees that the deflection IS the key ingredient. I too thought the predator was stiff but the guy did flex the shaft and convince me that the Predator really isn't super stiff by any means.

As far as a tip replacemnt, the single layer water buffalo tips would be fine on that shaft. Nothing against the layered tips you mentioned, still I've come to realize that you really don't need more than the cost(less than a buck)of the WB, and they hit really good, better than some layered tips...sid~~~won't say which

11-26-2002, 09:39 AM
The 3k line has a sneaky pete just like you are looking at for $276 at this url.

http://www.billiardwarehouse.com/cues/predator/predator_spwu.htm

bluewolf
11-26-2002, 05:02 PM
thanks. i like the 3k2 actually the best. was just wobbling back and forth over the money.but it is still less than $500. not much for a decent cue imo. and yeah i would probably get a talisman on it. ww thinks the moori is better, but i cannot really see the difference, except price.

blu

Perk
11-26-2002, 08:07 PM
I have posted many times over the Predator cues....you will enjoy the cues you are talking about...i had the sneaky pete with the joint..and loved the cue. I had the 2k2 and loved it (bought it for the look)....the 3k2 looks really good too with the gray look...I would lay odds that it shoots well also...Good luck with your choice!

Cueless Joey
11-26-2002, 09:30 PM
I'd get the shaft and get the butt made. /ccboard/images/graemlins/smirk.gif
I don't like straight taper skinny cues.
Then again, Preds are ok.

BLACKHEART
11-26-2002, 09:36 PM
BLUEWOLF, E-MAIL ME. I might have a deal you can't refuse...JER

11-26-2002, 10:50 PM
well, i've pretty much explained my feelings here before but....

the pred. basic spw is probably the best shooting cue made at any cost period. i guess you could beat the price by just buying the shaft and putting it on a budweiser cue but why bother. they're not really charging much for the butt after you back out the shaft cost so, what the heck. besides, i actually like the fact that the butt has no wrap and is cut a bit small. it just feels like a precision tool in my hand. i think they now have an spw with a quick-lock joint but i don't know anything about those.

dan...i've got 3 spw cues so far. all i shoot with. period.

bluewolf
11-27-2002, 05:09 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote houstondan:</font><hr> well, i've pretty much explained my feelings here before but....

the pred. basic spw is probably the best shooting cue made at any cost period. i guess you could beat the price by just buying the shaft and putting it on a budweiser cue but why bother. they're not really charging much for the butt after you back out the shaft cost so, what the heck. besides, i actually like the fact that the butt has no wrap and is cut a bit small. it just feels like a precision tool in my hand. i think they now have an spw with a quick-lock joint but i don't know anything about those.

dan...i've got 3 spw cues so far. all i shoot with. period.

<hr /></blockquote>

wow dan. coming from someone i know to be a good shooter, i will strongly consider that. also i like a cue that is smooth or if there is any feel, the texture is cut into the wood. just not a irish lenin fan. also like a butt that is not so fat, the ones i have seen around the ph are too fat for me. the sceptre cues were thinner and i liked them but now the shafts are warping to one degree or another, that is why i was looking at predator. thanks.

blu

bluewolf
11-27-2002, 05:13 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote BLACKHEART:</font><hr> BLUEWOLF, E-MAIL ME. I might have a deal you can't refuse...JER <hr /></blockquote>

i emailed you jer. this sounds interesting.

Laura

BLACKHEART
11-27-2002, 08:51 AM
BLUEWOLF, I hope these arn't the American Qs you said warped, because THEY ARE MADE IN TAIWAN...JER

SteveFromNY
11-27-2002, 11:56 AM
i have the predator bk and my break has gotten tremendously better since using it! i also use the 314 on my viking and i have to say I seriously felt the difference the first time i played with it. I'm also looking at buying a spare 314.

bluewolf
11-27-2002, 01:10 PM
do you mean the sceptre cues are made in taiwan? ww said they were made in some state like iowa. if you say taiwan, then maYBE they are using wood imported from there or they must be lying.....should have known something was up...they are alfully spiffy looking for the price

bw

11-27-2002, 06:00 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote bluewolf:</font><hr> do you mean the sceptre cues are made in taiwan? ww said they were made in some state like iowa. if you say taiwan, then maYBE they are using wood imported from there or they must be lying.....should have known something was up...they are alfully spiffy looking for the price

bw <hr /></blockquote>

Who told you Sceptres are good cues? I guess you found out the hard way. Sorry.

bluewolf
11-27-2002, 06:32 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote A.L.F:</font><hr> <blockquote><font class="small">Quote bluewolf:</font><hr> do you mean the sceptre cues are made in taiwan? ww said they were made in some state like iowa. if you say taiwan, then maYBE they are using wood imported from there or they must be lying.....should have known something was up...they are alfully spiffy looking for the price

bw <hr /></blockquote>

Who told you Sceptres are good cues? I guess you found out the hard way. Sorry.
<hr /></blockquote>

when i got married 3 years ago i was given one and that was when i learned the stroke etc and played apa for the first time. i did not learn about different cues until i got on ccb on a regular basis this last summer. i am still learning about the different ones, including who makes good custom cues.

the cue i got then had this knobs on the butt. i did not know how to hold a cue really so i learned by which knob to hold. this seems silly i know but i had not touched a cue basically in 30 years and back then was never told how to hold one just shot in a bar on barboxes. so as a rank beginner, the knobs helped me. now they annoy me and i just want a plain good stick that shoots solid and isnt likely to warp.

that is why i was looking into getting a predator. ww was selling sceptres at that time and thought they were good for the price but has also become disillusioned with them and is saying 'predator, predator,predator'

anyway i am getting a predator bk and a regular good cue.

Laura