PDA

View Full Version : More newbie questions....cues

Allan
11-24-2002, 12:20 PM
The Mrs. and I have been looking into cues...I think we will end up purschasing Lucasi's. Any thoughts?

Also, is it really so bad to be breaking with your playing cue? and what is the difference between a regular playing cue and a break cue? What is a jump/break cue?

Also what is the reason for multiple shafts?

Thanks for the patience,

Allan

Troy
11-24-2002, 06:25 PM
IMO Lucasi cues are OK for an import. The main problem with breaking with your playing cue is the wear & tear on the tip. Most players with a break cue have a harder tip with a flatter shape. A Jump/Break cue usually has a harder, flatter tip and also has another joint in the butt to make a shorter Jump stick. The main purpose of multiple shafts is to have a spare in case of tip problems.

Troy
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Allan:</font><hr> The Mrs. and I have been looking into cues...I think we will end up purschasing Lucasi's. Any thoughts?

Also, is it really so bad to be breaking with your playing cue? and what is the difference between a regular playing cue and a break cue? What is a jump/break cue?

Also what is the reason for multiple shafts?

Thanks for the patience,

Allan <hr /></blockquote>

Wally_in_Cincy
11-25-2002, 11:34 AM
I would consider Viking or McDermott also. They're well-made, reasonably priced, American made cues.

bluewolf
11-25-2002, 06:44 PM
I am getting the basic predator out of poolndarts.com for $276. Then later when I am better, if I am still sold on predator, I can get a fancy one or a custom cue.

Also I am getting the predator bk for christmas, because breaking is one of my worse things and I need any edge I can get &lt;G&gt;.

blu

Sid_Vicious
11-25-2002, 08:49 PM
Lucasi is nicely priced considering the hit they have in them, plus they ain't bad to look at. I'd say go for it. As far as breaking, there's two camps on this subject. I personally have a sneaky pete which breaks great and that is my break cue. I will occasionally break with my play cue, but mostly less than optimum hammer. I look at it this way...people change oil nowadays at 3K miles, which in my mind is a waste of dino considering the clean fuels we now burn. Point is that consumers become hooked on theories, and if there's a scant chance that breaking with my play cues is bad, then better to in the "oil changed @ 3K camp." Neither one is a written thing from the manufacturer, it's your choice.

I'll say this in closing, if you want into the cue owning business with as little investment and as much "hit" and quality in as cue, try the Cuetec line. Those things are super for the cost, won't warp and will make a fine break cue once you decide to get fancy stuff(if you don't decide to keep the Cuetec instead)....sid