Do you just use an ordinary Iron ?

what heat setting ? mega low ?

cheers

PQQLK9
11-24-2002, 08:38 PM
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=1970775482

stickman
11-24-2002, 09:31 PM
I think I would be very reluctant to try this. /ccboard/images/graemlins/shocked.gif If your seams were filled with wax, I think it might be a bad idea. It's not anything that I've ever seen done. I'm curious what others may have to say about it.

Troy
11-24-2002, 09:40 PM
I think that if your pool table cloth needs ironing it has been installed [b]way[/] too loose..... /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

<blockquote><font class="small">Quote bigbro6060:</font><hr> Does anyone here do this ?

Kinda shocked me at first

cheers <hr /></blockquote>

Rod
11-24-2002, 10:16 PM
Hi Jim, I use to iron a couple of tables with slow cloth. It will speed up the bed a tad. As you mentioned though, beware of wax filled seams. Both tables were wax filled and in one small spot I melted the wax. It was near the edge so it was ok. Even a hot iron will not melt the wax if you keep moving. The difference is minimal.

stickman
11-25-2002, 07:37 AM
I knew someone would know something about this. I might have figured it would be you. LOL Thanks for the info, my curiousity was killing me on this one.

Jim~~~~~~~~starch please /ccboard/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Fred Agnir
11-25-2002, 08:23 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote bigbro6060:</font><hr> Does anyone here do this ?

Kinda shocked me at first

cheers <hr /></blockquote>
It's been done for years. The idea seems to be to re-tighten the cloth. I've only done it on plaster-filled joints, with the hopes that moisture would be pulled out of the cloth as well. It seemed to work, but I could've been just tightening the cloth rather than pulling moisture out. I have no idea whether beeswax joints would be a problem.

You might want to check out all the opinions on ironing the cloth on the RSB archives:

http://groups.google.com/groups?hl=en&amp;lr=&amp;ie=UTF-8&amp;oe=UTF-8&amp;q=iron+cloth+table+group%3Arec.sport.billiard&amp;bt nG=Google+Search

Fred

Vagabond
11-25-2002, 08:33 PM
Hello Mate,
When Al Gore could Iron the condoms,why not the pool table cloth? No worries mate
vagabond

#### leonard
11-25-2002, 09:40 PM
Willie Hoppe would have an iron with him to press the nap so the balls would roll better. He also would hit the rooms house cues to find good tips and then remove the tips for his use. That is still the best method for finding good tips but sometimes the room owners are not happy with this method of finding the right tip.####

Rod
11-25-2002, 10:01 PM
You know I always wondered about starch. It might have worked well with the old 100% wool cloths. I learned that trick from Eddie Robbin of the Winning One Pocket books. He said to use a little diluted vinegar in a spray bottle as you iron as I recall. I did add a little.

stickman
11-25-2002, 11:46 PM
Starch would probably make it faster, but I wonder if you would still be able to draw a ball. It might be too slick.

11-26-2002, 09:54 AM
I Ironed my cloth about two months after I had it installed...It does not hurt the beezwax at all...you just have to be careful not to let the iron sit in one spot and start from the break end and move in a direction toward the rack end. I got the cloth wet first with a damp rag.

I did it for the reason mentioned above. I wanted to shrink the cloth. It worked very well in my opinion...The first time or two It picked up speed and then slowed back down after about a week. After about 4-times It stayed at the speed I wanted. Now I just have to brush from time to time... BTW....clean balls will play faster also

Tom_In_Cincy
11-27-2002, 07:02 PM
Apparently this has been an accepted practice for a long time..

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&amp;item=1970775482

L.S. Dennis
01-08-2003, 12:03 AM
I've tried ironing the cloth in an attempt to "speed the table up a bit". As others have said it works a little but not enough to make the effort worth while.

A more interesting thing to try is to spray the balls with silicon spray. The ball don't come off the rails at true angles anymore but if you want your draw stroke to resemble that of Earl stickland's try it you won't be dissapointed!

01-08-2003, 02:55 PM
Ironing your cloth!? I would never do that, that's a disaster waiting to happen.
/ccboard/images/graemlins/blush.gif