PDA

View Full Version : Long Session

11-25-2002, 08:16 AM
I met a fellow player at the local pool room at noon on Saturday to play some 100 bean race to nine sets. It's a pretty close match and neither of us could put the other guy away. anyway, when I finally started to pull away a little the room manager called last call, it was 12:45 that night. A Twelve and a half hour non stop pool session. Has anyone else ever played that long with out taking a break?

Scott Lee
11-26-2002, 01:08 AM
In 30+ years of play?...MANY times! Longest I ever played was 30 hrs straight, with NO breaks except for the bathroom.
That was a long time ago, and I have no desire to repeat it!
These days, though, it is normal for me to play 5-6 hours without even thinking about it! I believe there are MANY here that do the same thing!

Scott Lee

Cueless Joey
11-26-2002, 01:22 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Scott Lee:</font><hr> In 30+ years of play?...MANY times! Longest I ever played was 30 hrs straight, with NO breaks except for the bathroom.

Scott Lee <hr /></blockquote>
Lemme guess, One Pocket!
5 hour sessions are the norm nowadays.
30 hours? You probably got out of bed the day after and felt like you went 15 rounds against Tyson.

dave
11-26-2002, 10:56 AM
Back in the 80's out West, the roughnecks would come to town from the oil fields on the weekends with their pockets full. I'd start at noon and go til 2 in the morning. One of the things I learned back then is that a short race, like you see in most tournaments, means nothing when it comes to learning a players true speed. The long sessions were the true test.

Mike H
11-26-2002, 11:10 AM
About 8 or 9 months ago, I went at it with a road player for the better part of 40 hours, only breaking for the bathroom and vending machine to get more sugar and caffeine. I went home, laid on my couch, woke up about a day later, then went right back to the same room to see if he wanted to play more.

Sid_Vicious
11-26-2002, 11:27 AM
It's nuthin' to hit the hall at 12-1PM on Saturday, play til 10PM non stop, and numerous times shut the place down at 2am, having to be run off trying to finish one more set. If there wasn't a job to have to go to, I'd imagine playing pool 12 hours, for several days a week, would be regular...sid

11-26-2002, 01:34 PM
The 18 hour session I had with a sparring partner was the longest and most fun/grueling I've ever had. I encountered several slumps where I knew I'd have to dig myself out. After shooting for what seems like days, you can become extremely comfortable around the table.

11-26-2002, 01:38 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Cueless Joey:</font><hr> <blockquote><font class="small">Quote Scott Lee:</font><hr> In 30+ years of play?...MANY times! Longest I ever played was 30 hrs straight, with NO breaks except for the bathroom.

Scott Lee <hr /></blockquote>

well, let's see...on a typical friday, i'll start shooting as soon as someone shows up here. maybe 3 or 4pm. then we shoot till maybe 9pm. by then there are 5 or 6 of us and we're grilling something on the bbq. after dinner it's poker till maybe 1am then back on the table till somewhere between 4 and 8am. saturday or sunday it's not unusual to run from early afternoon till 3 or 4 am.

playing a lot of 1-p lately, it's pretty easy to burn a couple of hours in what seems like 20 minutes.

dan
<hr /></blockquote>

Rod
11-26-2002, 02:07 PM
When I was younger, that helps you know. Playing all night into the next day was not uncommon. I don't remember the longest session but sleep comes easy aftewards!

Tom_In_Cincy
11-26-2002, 02:30 PM
Back in my much younger days.. we would start on Friday nite after work and play until Sunday afternoon.. This would be either a ring game, with players poping in and out, or just plan playing until you or your opponents quits.

12 and 20 hour sessions were very common.

Now, there are only two pool halls in town that are open 24 hours. Most are 2pm until 1am, or noon til midnite.

I have recently played from 2 pm until 2 am with only bathroom breaks.

11-26-2002, 02:36 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Rod:</font><hr> When I was younger, that helps you know. Playing all night into the next day was not uncommon. I don't remember the longest session but sleep comes easy aftewards! <hr /></blockquote>

it was a while back but i remember someone posting that they knew they were in trouble when the other guy showed up with an extra pair of sox.

dan

Jim Walker
11-26-2002, 02:58 PM
I played in a tournament the other day which lasted 7 hours. That's too long for me. I'm 62 and not in good physical shape. I lost in the winners finals and again after that. I was just making poor decisions at that time. Do you think getting into better physical conditioning would help?
/ccboard/images/graemlins/confused.gif

Scott Lee
11-26-2002, 08:34 PM
Joey...Yep..sure did! LOL...but the best part was that when I DID go home to bed, it was WITH the cheese! LOL

Scott