PDA

View Full Version : Need suggestions for a 14.1 book

LC3
11-25-2002, 10:16 AM
I'd like to get a good book on 14.1 and am thinking of either Capelle's Play Your Best Straight Pool or Cranfield and Moy's The Straight Pool Bible. Which did you think is better?

I also want a one-pocket book. From what I see, Koehler's Upscale One-Pocket is the one to get. Any other suggestions?

Wally_in_Cincy
11-25-2002, 11:18 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote LC3:</font><hr> I'd like to get a good book on 14.1 and am thinking of either Capelle's Play Your Best Straight Pool or Cranfield and Moy's The Straight Pool Bible. Which did you think is better?

I also want a one-pocket book. From what I see, Koehler's Upscale One-Pocket is the one to get. Any other suggestions? <hr /></blockquote>

Get both. They're both good but different.

The Straight Pool Bible is short and an easy read and chock full of valuable info. It's a must-read IMO.

Cappelle's book is much more comprehensive. It's like a reference book with different sections devoted to different aspects of 14.1. I've had it for a year and I don't think I've read all the sections yet. The safety chapter alone is worth the price of the book. Plus if you look in the acknowledgements you'll see the name of my friend John Grace /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif (grand master of Cincinnati Straight Pool League)

There's one more too. "Advanced Pool" by George Fels is a most excellent book if you play straight pool.

Jim Rempe's video "How to Run a Hundred Balls" is excellent too.

socrates
11-25-2002, 12:34 PM
In addition to the books mentioned by Wally I might also suggest.

The 99 critical shots in pool by Ray Martin and also the original version of advanced pool by George Fels under the title Mastering Pool.

Two other straight pool instructional videos available from accustats are How to run a rack in straight pool with Jim Rempe and Key shots and break balls with Grady Mattews.

If you can still find Mike Sigels Perfect Straight Pool it is very good also.

Hope that helps.

Steve

Wally_in_Cincy
11-25-2002, 01:06 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote socrates:</font><hr> In addition to the books mentioned by Wally I might also suggest.

The 99 critical shots in pool by Ray Martin and also the original version of advanced pool by George Fels under the title Mastering Pool.

Two other straight pool instructional videos available from accustats are How to run a rack in straight pool with Jim Rempe and Key shots and break balls with Grady Mattews.

If you can still find Mike Sigels Perfect Straight Pool it is very good also.

Hope that helps.

Steve <hr /></blockquote>

That reminds me, I have an Accu-stats match between Jim Rempe and Ginky(?) that is "player-reviewed" by Rempe from 2000 U.S. Open 14.1 championship.

And the Sigel tape is really good, like you said, if you can find it.

CarolNYC
11-26-2002, 06:12 AM
Yep,Yep,Yep Wally,
Thats everything in a nutshell-have each one!
Way to go!
Carol:)-also,just watching!:)

CarolNYC
11-26-2002, 06:15 AM
Oh my Goodness Wally,
That is not the brutal one with Rempe 150
George (negative)11 or 12?
Carol

Wally_in_Cincy
11-26-2002, 07:50 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote CarolNYC:</font><hr> Oh my Goodness Wally,
That is not the brutal one with Rempe 150
George (negative)11 or 12?
Carol <hr /></blockquote>

Yep. George looked like a lost pup. Rempe the wily veteran took him to school. I assume George has learned better strategy since then.

Rich R.
11-26-2002, 08:54 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Wally_in_Cincy:</font><hr> George looked like a lost pup. Rempe the wily veteran took him to school. I assume George has learned better strategy since then. <hr /></blockquote>
I hope Rempe had the class to send Ginky a free tape. /ccboard/images/graemlins/smirk.gif There is a truck load of valuable information in Rempe's comments.