PDA

View Full Version : Chris Cass VS. Cancer....

Chris Cass
11-26-2002, 12:32 AM
Hello My Friends,

I wasn't going to post this because I tend to keep everything inside. I let a few dear friends know what's going on. Some have told other friends that, I just didn't want to burden with this kind of thing. They didn't do wrong but had to vent, this unpleasent news. It turns out I have more friends here than anywhere else. Sounds lame? Well, I don't think so.

I had been having problems for the last 3 mths. Not being able to eat and hold down my food. I thought Gee, what a good way to lose some pounds? Well, Heide told me to go to the Dr. so, I did. After they shoved a hose down my throat, found a tumor, took a biopsy they found out it was malignant. So, Esophageal Cancer was the term used.

I had an Ultrasound test(another tube shoved down my throat. That particular Dr. gave me hope), today the Xrays and CT Scan(bummer, had to drink 15 oz's of nasty Barrium, not to mention 3 trys for the IV in one arm and finally went in the other). Tomorrow is the P.E.T. test (positron emission tomography scan, a nuclear sugar test). Chemo and Radiation is something I regret, but will have to deal with.

Anyway, I was feeling kind of bad for not telling the rest of my close friends, not wanting to burden them with this knowledge. A rock and a hard space, till today. Today, at the ph I told who, I thought was a friend and he turns to another with a loud voice and says, "Hey Tommy, Chris is dead, he's got cancer". I was floored and felt humiliated as others looked. Some don't talk to me and others whisper and point.

I don't know yet if the cancer has invaded anywhere else in my body till, I see the oncologist, after he reads the test results. I did freak out at first and was like silly putty for 3 days in which my dear friends Voodoo, Kato, and Tom from Cinci held my sanity togather. Fran and Carol gave me their support and offered anything. Along with Scott Lee, Rod and Ken(thanks for the book, cross and the support). I didn't tell anyone else and couldn't get in touch with RIP as I eraced his # accidentally from memory.

First, I want you all to know I'm a proud man. I don't want or need pity. I know there's a lot of people who care for me here. Also, I would like to apologize for not saying anything.

I'm a pool player. Nothing more and nothing less. I don't give up in a match and refuse to accept a loss till I get beat. Cancer as far as I'm concerned, gets the 7 ball. I'm not going to give in and shed one more tear for Heide and Christ(my son). I am going to beat this, if it takes everything in my arsenal. If it does take my life then so be it. I wanted all of you to know I never met the most wonderful bunch of people in my life. God bless all of you. You people are the greatest most kind I've ever met. Thank you all for being my friends.

Your Friend,

Chris Cass~~ /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

rackmup
11-26-2002, 01:01 AM
Brother Chris,

You are not in this battle alone. You know who you have the support of. You know who your friends are and what they can and will so willingly do to help you through this.

Read the book when you feel so inclined. Have your wife read it as well. Seek the answers in it, pray for them and know that God is there for you.

I am too my Brother. Stay strong, stay positive and ask for what you need. You know already that you are in my prayers. If we can get the whole bunch of CCB'ers to add you to theirs, well...forget giving this opponent the seven...

...You'll be able to give it the breaks and the five out.

In prayer for my friend Chris, Heide and Christ,

Ken

Vicki
11-26-2002, 01:50 AM
Chris,

I know we don't know each other but I always enjoy reading your posts (and Heide's). You both seem like such nice people. I don't even know how to say how sorry I am to hear about your cancer. I am sorry that the people in your pool room were not supportive. I have been there and it was our friends in the pool room that got us through it. I will pray for you and Heide and Christ, that you are strengthened by this experience, that your love for each other grows stronger, and mostly, that you recover completely and quickly.

Vicki

Cueless Joey
11-26-2002, 02:23 AM
CC, my mother beat uterus cancer yrs ago (thank the Lord).
You will too.

Voodoo Daddy
11-26-2002, 04:09 AM
Chris...you know when you touched the hearts of people when someone you dont even know calls me at 3AM to tell me she read you are havin' a setback, it obviously shook her. This good soul{Vicki /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif}along with countless others are right with ya bro. I'm askin' all my people to put the good energy's to prayer for this man. We will beat this Chris...I do mean we!!

CarolNYC
11-26-2002, 04:34 AM
Well, as strong as I thought I was, I have to say, after reading this, Im literally crying-your gonna beat it-Ive been there and I beat it and so will you! There is a God and your here for a reason and I love you very much!
Carol

bluewolf
11-26-2002, 04:40 AM
Chris,

I am sorry that you are having to deal with this. All the tests and waiting for the results is nerve wracking.

I have been friends with people (including My mother) who had cancer. Most people deal well with the treatments and it sounds like you have caught it early so feel that you will too.

I will keep you on my prayer list that you get answers soon and that the treatments work well for you. You have always been real nice to me and i look up to your pool playing ability. I just know you can beat this. You have so many people in your corner.

blu

Rich R.
11-26-2002, 05:22 AM
Chris, I mean no offense, but your "friends" at the PH are idiots. This is the 21th century and modern medicine can do many things that it could not do, just a couple of years ago. Find the best doctors in your area and have faith. I know you can kick this thing right in the A$$.
Take care. We are all behind you on this.

Kato
11-26-2002, 07:12 AM
Sorry Chris, you're wrong. You're much more than a pool player. Just ask your Heide, Christ, and your friends. I'm with ya, 100%.

Kato

11-26-2002, 08:04 AM
We've never met, but I know a class act when I see one. It's obvious from your words and the number of friends you have that you're one of the good guys.
The important thing is to not let it get you down. It sounds like you've caught it pretty early so keep up the good attitude. Remember, it CAN be beat!
Good luck!
Chris

stickman
11-26-2002, 10:18 AM
Chris, You have many friends all over the country, as well as out of country. You are loved and have all our prayers. Stay strong, this too will pass.

eg8r
11-26-2002, 10:36 AM
Hello Chris,

I just wanted to let you know that you and your family are in our prayers. I know you will make it through this okay.

We are going through this ourselves. Last week my mother was diagnosed with thyroid cancer. She has survived two other types of cancer (breast and ovarian) so she was not really surprised by this, but we were all floored.

eg8r

Fran Crimi
11-26-2002, 11:56 AM
Hey Chris, that guy who said "Chris is dead"....I think he just bought himself about 50 years of bad Karma. Geez!

You're going to come across that a lot...those strange looks from people, people whispering and some even outright avoiding you. When we hear of someone who has a life-threatening illness, it makes us think of our own mortality and how vulnerable we really are. I think that many people can't handle those thoughts, and that's what you see in their reactions to you. It's not about you at all. It's all about them.

I think you've got a great attitude going into this thing. You're going to give yourself every chance possible to beat it, then, whatever will be, will be.

Personally, I think you're gonna win. I know that you know you've got a major cheering section over here in NYC (and all around the country). Besides, my instincts about this are that you're going to be OK...and my instincts haven't failed me yet. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Fran

Wally_in_Cincy
11-26-2002, 12:45 PM
Howdy Chris,

I, for one, am glad you shared this. You now have about 78 more people praying you. Well, 79 now /ccboard/images/graemlins/wink.gif.

Stay tuff brother. You'll be OK.

Wally~~> praying for Chris.

dave
11-26-2002, 01:02 PM
My thoughts are with you Chris. We'll be here to surround you with laughter and positive support.

rackmup
11-26-2002, 01:05 PM
To my friend Chris:

The Attitude of Perseverance
"Never Give Up"

"As for me, I am already being poured out as a libation, and the time of my departure has come. I have fought the good fight, I have finished the race, I have kept the faith. From now on there is reserved for me the crown of righteousness, which the Lord, the righteous judge, will give me on that day, and not only to me but also to all who have longed for his appearing."

-2 Timothy 4:6-8

It was the summer of 1968, and the world had "Olympic Fever." World-class athletes from almost every nation had gathered in Mexico City for the Olympic games. Thousands of eager spectators were on hand, and millions more all around the globe were huddled in front of their television sets to take in the action and to experience the spectacle of the games.

One of the most moving moments in the history of the Olympics came on the day of the marathon. A large number of well-trained runners from most every continent gathered at the starting line. The gun sounded, and the 26-mile race was underway. It wound through the streets of Mexico City and concluded in the Olympic stadium. The stadium was filled to capacity, and millions more watched by television as the race was finished and the awards ceremony began.

The bronze medal was presented, followed by the silver, and finally the gold medal was draped around the neck of the winner. He stood there proudly, eyes glistening, as the national anthem of his country was played and the flag of his country was raised.

When the awards ceremony was over, people turned their attention to other events. Some time later there was a murmer in the crowd as the people in the stands realized that the marathon was not over. A runner was still on the course. The other marathoners had finished over an hour ago. But here came this young man from the African nation of Tanzania, limping his way agonizingly toward the finish line. He was in great pain. You could see it in his face and in the awkward way he was forcing himself to keep on running.

He had been injured in a fall early in the race. Now his knees were bleeding, his leg muscles were cramping, and dehydration was setting in; yet he kept on running. He would not stop. He would not quit. Finally, painfully, he crossed the finish line and fell to the ground.

A television reporter later told of the story of the runner's injury and his determination to run thorugh the
pain. Then the reporter said to him, "You were injured early. You were hurting badly. You knew you could not win the race. Why didn't you just give up? Why didn't you stop? Why didn't you just Quit?"

He answered, "My country did not send me five thousand miles to START the marathon. They sent me here to FINISH the marathon."

There is a great lesson in this story from Olympic history: Perseverance is so crucial. Determination is so essential. It is so important to finish what we start. It's not enough to make a good beginning. It's not enough to run well for part of the way. We must finish what we start. We must see it through, or it is of no avail.

Remember this? A few weeks before he died, Jim Valvano, or "Jimmy V" as he was known to sports fans, was honored on national television, and to that last viewing audience, he said this:

"Today, I fight a different battle. You see, I have trouble walking and I have trouble standing for long a period of time. Cancer has taken away a lot of my physical abilities. Cancer is attacking and destroying my body. But what cancer cannot touch is my mind, my heart and my soul. I have faith in God...and hope that things might get better for me. But even if they don't I promise you this. I will never ever give up. I will never ever quit. And if cancer gets me...then I'll just try my best to go to heaven and I'll try to be the best coach they've ever seen up there. (Then, pointing to his 1983 Championship team, he said,) I learned a great lesson from these guys; they amazed me! They did things I wasn't sure they could do because they absolutely refused to give up! That was the theme of our championship season: "NEVER EVER GIVE UP!" That's the lesson I learned from them and that's the message I leave with you: "Never give up. Never ever give up!"

That's precisely what Paul is saying in his second letter to Timothy: never give up; see it through; finish the race.

And that is what we are saying to you Chris: Don't give up. Place this obstacle in the hands of God. Call on your friends when you need them and I say to his friends; do not wait for his call to you, yet call or write to him and let him know of your love and your faith in him finishing this race and emerging the victor.

Heal with God's speed young man.

Your friend,

Ken

SPetty
11-26-2002, 01:08 PM
Hi Chris,

I know it was hard for you to tell us this, but you won't regret it. We'll be here for you when you need us, and even when you don't. If you guys need anything, just ask - I'll bet we can come up with it. There are a lot of us here who have gone through similar trials, and a lot of us here know people who have gone through something similar. You're not alone through this, Chris. Just holler if you need anything. Send my best to Heide and Christ.

-- SPetty

socrates
11-26-2002, 01:19 PM
If anyone can take this thing on and take it off its you.

You and your family are in my thoughts and prayers.

9 Ball Girl
11-26-2002, 01:45 PM
Chris -

I've known about your "pest" (that's what I call it) since the day I posted "The Battle of The Casses". I will not reveal my source but I have been keeping you and your family in my prayers since that night. I'm not really good at stuff like this and I never know what to say in situations like this so this is straight from my heart. You know we all love you and we know you can fight the "pest". I'm pulling for you and Heide and Christ and you guys are all in my prayers. It's like I told another friend of mine, you've just gotta keep on keeping on and I know you can do it.

Those a$$holes from your poolroom, send them over to NY. I know some people here who can take care of 'em. /ccboard/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Tom_In_Cincy
11-26-2002, 03:15 PM
Chris,

See, I told you that you were in very good company here on CCB.. I am sure that with all the power your friends here can generate.. you will beat this trial.

You are the strong, you are loved and you do love. This is a very strong position for anyone to be in.. I am a little jealous, but proud thay you would include me in your list of friends.

You are 'the man', the father, husband and friend to all of us.. and remember, you are a pool player too, you have a lot of power 'in you' and surrounding you.

WesK
11-26-2002, 04:05 PM
I know that you don't know me, but I feel that I know something you through your posts.

MikeM is a good friend of mine and I know he thinks very highly of you which is good enough for me.

I wish you all the best and will keep you and yours in my prayers.

If there is anything that I can do please PM me.

wes

Barbara
11-26-2002, 04:42 PM
Chris,

You don't know how much this really saddens me to hear this.

But then an image of you from Las Vegas comes to mind. We were sweating Fred Agnir's match and his opponent did something that was almost like a sharking thing. Fred didn't get annoyed by it one bit but you started muttering, "Want a piece of me, c'mon, I'll play ya a couple sets." or something to that effect. That just made me think of you as that dog that attaches itself to an ankle and doesn't let go!!

I know you have the fight for this. And I'll be sweating your match.

Barbara

Eric.
11-26-2002, 05:04 PM
Holy cow, Chris! My first trip over to the "dark side" of this board and what jumps out at me!

Listen, I'm not gonna ramble on and on. I'm gonna cut to the chase- People can and do beat Cancer all the time. My personal belief is that along with medical care, if you have the will and the fortitude to survive, that is the key. Don't ever doubt.

On another note, swallow your pride and call your friends whenever/where ever you need to(Voodoo has my # if you need). Like everyone else, anything I can do to help...

Eric >try a Holistic diet?

MikeM
11-26-2002, 05:18 PM
Chris,

I know you'll beat this, even givin' up the 7! You're a lucky man to have Heide and Christ and all of your friends (and I count myself as one) pulling for you.

If there's ever ANYTHING I can do for you, don't hesitate to ask.

Mike

Stretch
11-26-2002, 06:41 PM
Dear Chris

Thankyou for shareing this. I love you man, and your in my prayers. Just know that your not alone ok? Well, judging by the overwhelming response and outpouring of well wishes you must see just how important you are to all of us. I for one will say a special prayer for your speedy recovery.

I see a man and his family standing up in the face of danger. As he looks back, his many friends are steping up to stand by them. Now thier is a crowd. Suddenly danger dosn't like the odds anymore and backs down. We are strong together. Feel the strength of us all for it is real and it is there for you always. St

PQQLK9
11-26-2002, 07:09 PM
Hey Chris....Jeez I'm gone for a day and come back to bad news from the cornfields...Hey Chris you WILL beat this thing because you are a WINNER!
Just know that I am on the bandwagon with all your brother and sister CCB'ers and you can call on me anytime for anything. Hang tough buddy ....
(your dawg...nick)

Mr Ingrate
11-26-2002, 07:36 PM
Chris,

I found out I had colon cancer in July of 2001. I was fully awake for the sigmoidoscopy since you donít get drugs for this procedure. I saw the large tumor (size of a snooker ball) on the screen and immediately knew I was in trouble. My first thought was, OK, how do we treat this. I assumed it was cancer and was prepared to do whatever it took to get rid of it. I was pretty unemotional through it all, being quite pragmatic (some would say dull) by nature. Perhaps the four angioplasty/stent procedures previously had something to do with that. The thought that I would die from this never entered my head.

My wife was devastated, at first, and then started planning how I was going to receive the medical attention that I needed. The thought that I could die was the first thing that entered her head. The second was that she wasnít going to let it happen. I had the bowel resection in August 2001 and shortly thereafter an angioplasty to open up a stent. The chemotherapy that followed was no picnic either. However, I was considered cured.

July of 2002 the tumor was back at the same place. My immediate reaction was how soon can I get this cut out and will I have to have a colostomy? I didnít want a bag. The thought that I could die still hadnít surfaced as an option to me. My wife was devastated, at first, and then started planning how I was going to receive the medical attention I needed.

The last few years have been much harder on my wife than me, even though Iím the one with the health problems.

My point: Medical science has a solution. Believe that and simply refuse to occupy your time with negative, unproductive thought. Your loved ones, on the other hand, will be making a concerted effort to be supportive and upbeat at all times. It will be very draining on them. Make sure you cut them some slack.

Of course I had a second operation. My wife found a colo-rectal surgeon who was able to reconnect me (although he removed the rectum, rectum Ė damned near killed him) Ö once again I dodged the bag. The operation was considered a resounding success and I am considered cancer free. December 9th I go for another sigmoidoscopy to see how the results of my surgery look. If I remain cancer free in the next year, my prognosis looks good. I suppose that after all I've been through I now consider it could kill me, but I doubt it.

There are lots of procedures for cancer. The number of people who are now cancer free (sometimes after many treatments) is amazing.

Let me know about your course of treatment. If you want to chat call me at (250) 382-0223. Anytime.

P.S. Iím an old dude, 60 in October, and right now feel great.

P.P.S. I wrote about my chemo (http://www3.telus.net/syrja/chemo.html) experience last year, click if you want to read it.

Rip
11-26-2002, 07:41 PM
Chris, I'll add my voice to Stretch's heartfelt thoughts as I'm also privileged to stand in "your crowd" and will do so any day, all day...with only a small break once in a while to pee /ccboard/images/graemlins/wink.gif. Give Heide and the big little guy a hug for me as my thoughts and prayers are with you all. Your friend, Rip

<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Stretch:</font><hr> Dear Chris

I see a man and his family standing up in the face of danger. As he looks back, his many friends are steping up to stand by them. Now thier is a crowd. Suddenly danger dosn't like the odds anymore and backs down. We are strong together. Feel the strength of us all for it is real and it is there for you always. St

<hr /></blockquote>

Rod
11-26-2002, 08:02 PM
Hi Chris,

You know how I feel about this, I couldn't keep a dry face the other night. You sure have a lot of friends pulling for you here on CCB not to mention many others and family. Count me as another to call on during this troubled time.
Your going to beat this thing so stay tuff as I'm sure you will. Cancer has been licked before and will continue to be beaten. I think about you Heide and Christ every day as others will I'm sure. How can you go wrong with so many friends.

I guess you know who your friends are at the pool room. Not that one idiot. Don't consider all of them the same as some people just don't know what to say or how to approach another with such a problem.

On the light side, I luv ya man, just don't take my Bud Light. /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif well ok this time if you don't spill any! /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Karatemom
11-26-2002, 08:47 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Rod:</font><hr> On the light side, I luv ya man, just don't take my Bud Light. /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif well ok this time if you don't spill any! /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif
<hr /></blockquote>

Haven't you heard? He's notorious for spilling beer, especially on magic beer-sucking carpet. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Heide

Barbara
11-26-2002, 09:28 PM
So that's how you beat it!!! Hey Big Guy, I hope you come out with an A+ sigmoidoscopy!!

Although I miss your "Dick Dick, the Dick" series, I remember from whence the series started and under what circumstances it started, too. /ccboard/images/graemlins/frown.gif It was hilarious, though!!! (I've saved most of it)

I could always see the love Joanne has for you and how much she must've gone through, so give her a kiss from me and have her give you a kiss from me. It takes a lot of woman (and man) to see your spouse go up and intro themself to a total stranger at a pool tournament and give them a hug because the spouse knows the other from the CCB.

And keep in touch!!!

Barbara~~~Big Dave was the first CCB'er I looked up in Vegas /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif and two snaps!!!

Rod
11-26-2002, 11:18 PM
Hi Heide,

Yes I remembered that story from the Vegas CCB club. Well you know a person can only do so many things at one time. Evidently talking and drinking beer is one to many for CC. /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif I hope things are well with you, be tough and keep our guy in line. Those tests can be a real pain. I've had MRI's, CT scans, green dye injected in the spinal cord, Iodine in the blood stream. I was lit up like a Christmas tree! /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif You feel like a pin cushion after while but it finds the problem and a possible cure. I guess my point is, hold on the ride might be a little chopy. Wish you all the best.

Rod

Chris Cass
11-27-2002, 01:00 AM
Hello Everyone,

I'm so lucky to have you all by my side. I also want to thank all of you dearly for offering anything I want. I won't take advantage of this and ask Voodoo for the Szamboti. Knowing him as I do, he'd send the damm thing. LOL

I feel so powerful with you all behind me. It's unreal the way I feel. Almost like I've been covered with a blanket of warmth. Weird, but very calming to me.

Well, today I went for my P.E.T. scan. 2 hrs. for that puppy. 48 mins. for the scan. The machine made by Seiman (sp). I had the thought of, how I'd like to work for that company repairing this equipment. Every test so far has been done with the same companies equipment. JAT Must have been the nuclear stuff they injected. That company doesn't make pool tables. LOL

Anyway, the report comes tomorrow along with the first meeting with the oncologist. He will take the xray, CT scan and P.E.T. scan results and tell me the story. What ever it is, I will let you know what's going on.

I know you all are praying in your own way. I know your with me. I don't want to cause you more pain by these results so, they'll have to be good.

No matter, how these results turn out. I want each and everyone of you to know, I love you. I appreciate you and I loved my time here on the board. It's because of all of you. I feel home here. If it's meant for me to become a lurker forever, than so be it. I won't leave any of you.

So far Cancer has a 3-0 lead on me in this race to 7. It's my break now and Barbara knows what that means. BTW in Vegas I wanted to play the guy some sets for a hundred. LOL

Thank you all. It's never been about me though. It's about my son and Heide. My son is 10. He's a good boy. He doesn't deserve to be alone. He's so strong and loves me so much. Today, after the test when I came out. He hugged me and called me Daddy in excitement. Everyone turned, and I felt so proud and so needed. Heide, with the look I haven't seen since our first date. How, can cancer win? It can't, it won't and I will beat this.

PS: To those who emailed me with your kind words. The one who is registared and only lurks. Thank you, it meant a lot. I was taken by this.

BFF, (Best Friends Forever)

Chris~~ /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

bluewolf
11-27-2002, 07:05 AM
Chris,

Someone already pointed this out and I agree that when people have weird reactions to you, it is based on their own fears.

I had a very good friend who was diagnosed with cancer(and is now healthy). People who she thought were friends dumped her. I also observed something similar in a lady who had an ms diagnosis. Gosh, both of these just wanted friends to hear their feelings. They weren't looking for solutions, just support and feeling heard.

I have found that not only does a potentially life threatening illness bring up feelings of a person's own mortality, it also sometimes brings up unresolved grief issues that they may have.

It takes a special person to sit and listen to what you are going through and supporting your feelings and listening as long as you need to talk and as often, never growing weary, but always being there for you.

There are so many of those'fair weather' type . You know the type that are there as long as there are no problems or you are doing what they want you to do.

But, a true friend is a nugget of gold. I have heard that if we have a handful in our life, we are lucky. You, Chris,it sounds like you have many, because of the special person that you are.

thanks for sharing with us.

Laura

=k=
11-27-2002, 09:58 AM
hello chris! To me you are a winner! you really don't know how much you have helped me! anything i can do to help let me know.. you are in my prayers and also the jerk in the pool hall. to bad my personel jet(in my dreams) is getting repaired.. if you need some sunny weather (phoenix) head down.. we have lots of room.. K

11-27-2002, 06:18 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Chris Cass:</font><hr> Hello My Friends,

I wasn't going to post this because I tend to keep everything inside. I let a few dear friends know what's going on. Some have told other friends that, I just didn't want to burden with this kind of thing. They didn't do wrong but had to vent, this unpleasent news. It turns out I have more friends here than anywhere else. Sounds lame? Well, I don't think so.

I had been having problems for the last 3 mths. Not being able to eat and hold down my food. I thought Gee, what a good way to lose some pounds? Well, Heide told me to go to the Dr. so, I did. After they shoved a hose down my throat, found a tumor, took a biopsy they found out it was malignant. So, Esophageal Cancer was the term used.

I had an Ultrasound test(another tube shoved down my throat. That particular Dr. gave me hope), today the Xrays and CT Scan(bummer, had to drink 15 oz's of nasty Barrium, not to mention 3 trys for the IV in one arm and finally went in the other). Tomorrow is the P.E.T. test (positron emission tomography scan, a nuclear sugar test). Chemo and Radiation is something I regret, but will have to deal with.

Anyway, I was feeling kind of bad for not telling the rest of my close friends, not wanting to burden them with this knowledge. A rock and a hard space, till today. Today, at the ph I told who, I thought was a friend and he turns to another with a loud voice and says, "Hey Tommy, Chris is dead, he's got cancer". I was floored and felt humiliated as others looked. Some don't talk to me and others whisper and point.

I don't know yet if the cancer has invaded anywhere else in my body till, I see the oncologist, after he reads the test results. I did freak out at first and was like silly putty for 3 days in which my dear friends Voodoo, Kato, and Tom from Cinci held my sanity togather. Fran and Carol gave me their support and offered anything. Along with Scott Lee, Rod and Ken(thanks for the book, cross and the support). I didn't tell anyone else and couldn't get in touch with RIP as I eraced his # accidentally from memory.

First, I want you all to know I'm a proud man. I don't want or need pity. I know there's a lot of people who care for me here. Also, I would like to apologize for not saying anything.

I'm a pool player. Nothing more and nothing less. I don't give up in a match and refuse to accept a loss till I get beat. Cancer as far as I'm concerned, gets the 7 ball. I'm not going to give in and shed one more tear for Heide and Christ(my son). I am going to beat this, if it takes everything in my arsenal. If it does take my life then so be it. I wanted all of you to know I never met the most wonderful bunch of people in my life. God bless all of you. You people are the greatest most kind I've ever met. Thank you all for being my friends.

Your Friend,

Chris Cass~~ /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

<hr /></blockquote>

Good luck dude, I'm prayin for ya. You can't shuffle off this mortal coil untill we at least play a few racks! /ccboard/images/graemlins/shocked.gif

Chris Cass
11-27-2002, 06:36 PM
Well, took all the tests and my appointment with the oncologist has been postponed till Mon. Due to the reports running late. Monday, I'll know everything. Monday is so long away and I'm on pins and needles.

I wish everyone a Happy Thanksgiving and I have a lot to be giving thanks for. All of you for one....

My Best,

Chris

Gayle in MD
11-28-2002, 02:10 AM
Dear friend, Chris, I know that you know you've always been one of my favorite people here on the CCB. You will be in my thoughts and prayers, and I hope you will remember that I am here, day or night, call anytime, ask anything, it's yours. Someday, when we finally meet for the first time, we'll be saying, "Yeah, that was a rough time, glad it's over now, and all is well"
Love,
Gayle in Md.

cueball1950
11-28-2002, 10:53 PM
chris.... you are in my thoughts and prayers. If you need anything. Do not hesitate to let me know.......mike

Chris Cass
11-30-2002, 07:57 PM
Pooh-Bah? What is this crap. Now, I'm a Pooh-Bah too? Man, what's going on? I'm really getting up there. Wonder what's next? Fred Flinstone was a Pooh-Bah or was it Jackie Gleason?

C.C.~~ /ccboard/images/graemlins/confused.gif

cheesemouse
11-30-2002, 10:54 PM
Chris,
I just returned from 10 days away from home. I am saddened by your news. I've read all the responses to your post. You have many prayers on the wire and I just want to add my own. Hang tough buddy, you can lick this. MAY THE GODS BE WITH YOU!!!!!!

Chris Cass
12-01-2002, 02:34 AM
No Doubt Cheese,

Thanks for the luck. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif I'll be ok once I find out what's going on Mon. Can only shoot about 70% if that.

Thanks Cheese,

Chris

SpiderMan
12-04-2002, 03:34 PM
Chris,

I was gone for the holidays and just now read the NPR board. I'm totally stunned, this is something you never expect to hear about anyone you like. I know you don't need or want a bunch of mush and sympathy from me (I wouldn't either), and I'm bad at that anyway, so let me just add that I think this is too random and unfair. Sort of like a bad roll on the break, but I know you'll get back in line before the middle of the rack. And I also expect I'll see you in 'Vegas next spring, probably with a better game than you had this year. Can't wait to see you and Rod match up!

your friend,

Marty