PDA

View Full Version : One Pocket

Perk
11-26-2002, 08:35 AM
<--getting ready to "really" learn one pocket. I have played it very little before, and suddenly it is appealing to me. Couple questions.

1.) Is it better to play one-pocket on 7' or 9' tables? I have a barbox at home, but a PH is minutes away. (Please dont just say 'of course the 9') Basically, can you get beneficial practise and gain by playing on a barbox?

2.) Any particular video that sticks out as a good reference for strategy/shotmaking in onepocket?

3.) Any drills that help for onepocket shots? Such as 'common' onepocket situations?

Thanks in advance for comments!

Ward
11-26-2002, 08:42 AM
Perk

Upscale One-Pocket by Jack Kohler is a good One-Pocket book and is available at Amazon

Later

Deeman
11-26-2002, 08:43 AM
One pocket is a great game but almost noone plays it anymore. The nine footer is best as you need the room to learn to "Move". It is just notn the same even on an eight footer.

Grady has some nice tapes on one pocket but they are a little shady in production values. About the only way to get really good is to play some "Players". Maybe you can start off playing a good player 9-5 or for almost no money. It would take forever to master the strategy by yourself. After that, practice banks, banks and more banks. You will need to learn to kill the cue ball from every position and think both offence on most shots. Learning the value of spin off a cushion is important as well, especially in banks. If your straight pool skills are suspect, don't even start this until you improve there.

Good luck!

Dee

Perk
11-26-2002, 08:45 AM
what is playing 9-5 mean in onepocket?

Deeman
11-26-2002, 08:53 AM
You have to make 5 balls before the better player makes 9. I used to play Cripple Jack (Hunter) this way when I was 12 or 13 years old. Over the years, it reversed and I gave him 9-5. You can, of course, start anywhere, 8-6, 10, 4, etc.

Make sure it's a better player as, particularily in one pocket, playing a weaker player teaches you nothing but bad habits. The best thing you can learn is patience. However, no matter how you think you are, this will be a long and hard earned lesson. It is the best game, if you have the will to stick it out.

Dee

Perk
11-26-2002, 08:57 AM
thanks for the info...i will try that...only prob is that the really good players around here are so focused on 9ball..so i was hopin to get a jump on them with 1pocket.. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif Then ask them for a game!

Mike H
11-26-2002, 08:58 AM
I'd recommend really learning one-pocket on a 9-footer, preferably one with tighter pockets. This will not only give you the room to move, you'll also learn why you MUST learn to hit most shots in this game with pocket speed. It'll also help you learn how to use the points of the pockets to clear a ball from your opponent's pocket a little better than you could learn to on a barbox. As far as videos, I like Grady's video from Accu-Stats (The Finishing Touch), and also, Bert Kinister has 4 or 5 good one pocket videos (BertKinister.com). Also, get out there and play better players for a buck or two a game. Watch what they're doing, and if they don't mind you doing it, ask questions. 75% of one-pocket is shooting the correct shot. As far as "common" situations go, there aren't many in one-pocket, except returning your opponent's break (which may vary from opponent to opponent), so I would spend some time practicing banks and playing a little bank pool. It'll improve the offensive side of your 1-p game immensely.

Regards,
Mike

Ward
11-26-2002, 09:35 AM
I don't know where you are but there are a lot of One-Pocket games in the DFW area. I was at Billy Wiers place a couple of Saturdays back and there were six 9ft. tables going and all were One-Pocket games. It is really played a lot in this area.

Troy
11-26-2002, 09:44 AM
Play on a 9' table if at all possible. Smaller tables become too crowded and banks are different.

Willie Jopling has a new video on 1-P that gives numerous outs from the break. I think it is aimed at an intermediate player.

Upscale One Pocket is a good book. Available on Amazon for under $20.

Practicing alone can be tough. I suggest breaking and then practice the return shot. Also you can practice taking just defensive shots and banking to your pocket.

More and more players are playing 1-Pocket and it's the game most often played for big money. For a while the game seemed to be dead but it's on the rise again. It's a great game for improving your strategy skill as well as defense and cue ball control.

Have fun..... /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif 1-Pocket is the Ultimate Pocket Billiard Game.

Troy

Popcorn
11-26-2002, 09:54 AM
You learn one pocket by playing and watching knowledgeable players. You can't really learn it on your own, it has to be passed on to you from other players. Accu-stat videos are a very good source of info. And the commentary is very informative.

Deeman
11-26-2002, 10:39 AM
I just mmoved to the York, Pennsylvania area from Memphis. I have lived in Detroit, South Carolina, Arkansas, Memphis, Sedlaia, MO. all in the last few years but find very little one pocket. I would love to come to the DFW area and may on business next year. I am sure there are some one pocket guys in this area but have not gotten out that much since getting here.

Dee

Tom_In_Cincy
11-26-2002, 05:28 PM
One Pocket is a popular game in Indiana, Ohio and Kentucky.
For some reason, the game of Banks is also very popular.

I have been playing this game for more than 20 years.. its a great game for exercising almost everything you know about the game of pool. Banks, cue ball control, table management, combos, strategy and pocketing under pressure.

Nine foot tables are the normal size for this game.

If you get a chance to go to the Derby City Classic in Louisville KY. in Jan of 2003, there will be some of the best one pocket players in the world there. Accustats video tapes a lot of these matches for your viewing pleasure.

PQQLK9
11-26-2002, 07:29 PM
http://www.billiardsdigest.com/ccboard/showflat.php?Cat=&Board=ccbboard&Number=36551&Foru m=ccbboard&Words=one%20pocket&Match=Entire%20Phras e&Searchpage=3&Limit=25&Old=6months&Main=36156&Sea rch=true#Post36551

Scott Lee
11-26-2002, 08:29 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Mike H:</font><hr> 75% of one-pocket is shooting the correct shot.

Mike <hr /></blockquote>

Mike...IMO, 75% of the game is knowing WHETHER to shoot at a ball or play safe...which certainly could be construed as "shooting the right shot". However, there are far more safties in 1-pocket than runouts. The key is knowing whether to shoot at a ball, even if you HAVE a shot, when the "better" move is to play safe.

Scott Lee

dddd
11-26-2002, 10:17 PM
small table does not play one pocket well. size and length are important considerations in the game. small table would not return your practice investment when moving to larger equipment.
dont confuse playing bank pool with shooting bank shots in one pocket, different shots and the safes are not the same

if your a good player to begin with and feel the urge, practice banking balls, playing pocket speed, and controling the q-ball.
there should be no need to play for the cash unless you just angry at your money at least until you understand the concepts.
many players will only play what i have heard called
"duck, duck" where they only shoot balls away and duck behind a ball or rest on the end rail, every time without ever playing to put a ball into play. this just lengthens the game and in my opinion does nothing to help you with the game. put a ball in play for yourself whenever possible
try those shots dont be passive and "duck, duck".
the game is much more offensive that one would believe. now offensive in this case can mean just putting balls in play for yourself, not trying to make the ball

11-26-2002, 10:38 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Perk:</font><hr> &lt;--getting ready to "really" learn one pocket. I have played it very little before, and suddenly it is appealing to me. Couple questions.

1.) Is it better to play one-pocket on 7' or 9' tables? I have a barbox at home, but a PH is minutes away. (Please dont just say 'of course the 9') Basically, can you get beneficial practise and gain by playing on a barbox?

9' vs little table ? the little one is just going to be too crowded to do the banks you need to do in 1-p. there's a million of those little cross corner from the first diamond shots and you need to get good at using c.b. action to work 'em. that constitutes a high precentage of the run-opening shots in the first third of the game.

weight is everything in 1-p so you might think about getting out there and playing the good guys but get elephant weight. play cheap and they'll carry you forever. remember, the weight is subject to renegotiation after 2 losses or so. also, until you actually get the game down, learn to safe his tail off. you'll be amazed how those little safes benefit you in 8 &amp;9 ball and you really do get better at those with practice.

dan

11-26-2002, 11:18 PM
Hey Deeman have u been going to Ivory Billiards in York for Sunday 9 ball? If so mention to players that u are interested in one pkt and u should obtain some info. Take care! Fred

Perk
11-27-2002, 07:05 AM
Thanks a ton for all the advice regarding one pocket. I think i will stick to the PH's 9' tables for the one pocket practise, and focus on banks and running racks on my BB.

Thanks for that link to the other 1P archive. Well, would like to say off to practise..but its off to work..:)

Deeman
11-27-2002, 07:23 AM
Fred,

No, I have not been here long enough to find a place to play. However, thanks to you, I can find the place and play. Many thanks. Anyone I should look out for?

Dee

Popcorn
11-27-2002, 09:06 AM
This may be a matter of semantics, but not shooting at your hole does not necessarily mean you played a safety. One pocket is an aggressive game even if you don't go to your hole. I don't like the term defense, it has little place in top flight one pocket. To me defense means just surviving. Playing, to just survive another inning, even if successful, is a bad mind set. The smallest thing may improve your chances of winning a game. moving a ball so it now banks to your hole, or moving a ball to block a bank lane to your opponents hole, all work in concert to your goal of winning. Many times what the player did, is not apparent to the spectator or even other player till you later see the result. I have played a lot of those survival players who think just not selling out is a good shot. They don't realize they are selling out a little at a time. They spend most of the game with their backs against the wall depending on a mistake to score. That just is not how the game is played. Like I said, I know this is a little semantics but I wanted to throw it in. It is my theory of play anyway.

Mike H
11-27-2002, 11:00 AM
Agreed. I think we mean the same thing, we just phrased it a bit differently. Since one-pocket is a game comprised of creating, maintaining, and taking advantage of a strong position, I would say 75% of the game is knowing when to shoot, duck, or maneuver balls in such a way that it improves your position or deteriorates your opponent's position.
Regards,
Mike

Tom_In_Cincy
11-27-2002, 04:28 PM
Popcorn,
I don't think its a mater of samantics. Its the difference in positive and negative table management.

All of you examples are good table management. These are offensive shots.

Shooting a safe by leaving your opponent down table with no shot, is defence. Shooting a safe and leaving the cue ball down table, while positioning a ball for a combo or bank into your pocket is an offensive move that leaves your opponent in a defensive position.

Good observation.. and I like the way you think...

Scott Lee
11-29-2002, 01:51 PM
Popcorn...I agree with you. What I really meant was not trying to pocket a ball, vs playing defensively OR putting more balls into play (as you described)! Most beginning one-pocket players go for WAY too many shots, regardless of the potential outcome if they miss. Good players LEAVE these "gopher" shots to tempt the lesser skilled players to "go for it"! It works both ways! I agree with you that top-flight players will opt to "put a ball into play" by moving it to a better table position, more often, then just "playing safe"!

Scott Lee