PDA

View Full Version : Lost the race by a NOSE

11-26-2002, 10:55 AM
A friend & i drove over 300 miles to enter a tournament we had been hearing a lot of good things about. competition good but not overly strong. entry was $50, $1500 add on, race to 7 double elimination w/calcutta. won my 1st 2 sets then had to play the local hero, lost 7 to 5, he wasn't that strong. my buddy went undefeated into the finals even beating the local hero 7-3. me and the local hero played for 3rd. i won the 1st 3 games when this hero excused himself to go to the restroom. when he came back he was super focused with eyes like BB's, the powder on his hands did not match the powder on his nose. in the next 7 games he ran 5 racks and 2 9's on the break, i lost 7-3. next this hero played my undefeated buddy for 1st. the final score was 7-1 & 7-2 with the beady eyed hero taking it all. in his 14 wins he had 9 runs. many comments were made about the level of play seen but the one that stands out was " that guy usually don't play that well but if he gets on his stuff he can't be beat". (nose candy)
it was a sad ride home WHAT WOULD YOU DO?

9 Ball Girl
11-26-2002, 11:13 AM
Maybe there is something to it. Mmmm. I've been to plenty of tournaments where I've seen some of the players step out of a smoking allowed pool room for a "cigarette". And they win! /ccboard/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

stickman
11-26-2002, 11:53 AM
Ask him where you can get some of that stuff. NOT! /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

If he stays on the stuff long enough, he'll self destruct over time.

I had a boss on coke. I knew it was only a matter of time before it got the best of him. This stuff messes with your mind. I left this job, before it all collapsed. He had one of the biggest businesses in town, and lost it all. He's in all sorts of trouble for various reasons of lack of judgement. (missing inventory, floor planned, without money to pay for it, collecting child support from employees without paying it, collecting insurance from employees without paying it, just to name a few) He spent business money like water to support a rich lifestyle. He had two houses, one was a business expense, a motor yacth that was a business expense, several cars, and any number of other fivolous business expenses. I felt bad for all his employees.

rackmup
11-26-2002, 12:15 PM
When you face an opponent that excuses himself to 'powder his nose', fight back by retreating to the bathroom between games or even during a game or prior to his breaks. Read a book while you're in there. Count the grout lines. See if there are really 500 sheets to every roll.

Slow his pace down. He'll get angry, frustrated and rushed. That blow up his nose will start to work against him. Trust me. I've seen this very strategy work.

Regards,

Ken

11-26-2002, 01:29 PM
I agree with previous comments on controlling the tempo of the match. SLOW things down and watch your opponent get fidgety(made up word?). Its true they may get in dead stroke but once they're out of it they become headcases, usually. Be happy knowing you're not the one who needs chemicals to try to boost your game. I may be desperate to improve, but not that desperate!

Tom_In_Cincy
11-26-2002, 02:55 PM
There is nothing you can do to that person that they can't do worse. That stuff will eventually tear him and his game up.

2nd and 3rd are two very respectful finishes.. Good playing