PDA

View Full Version : Is Three Cushion Billiards the Hardest game around

bigbro6060
11-26-2002, 08:58 PM
It sounds like it to me!

would really help your kicking and positioning skills though /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

is there a harder game around ?

Cueless Joey
11-26-2002, 09:25 PM
Yes
Yes
Dating Game /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

cueball1950
11-26-2002, 10:17 PM
Being an avid 3 cushion player i would have to say yes that it is a very hard game. also very frustrating with the hair misses and the kisses. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif but also once you learn it. it is also a very fun and enjoyable game

bigbro6060
11-26-2002, 11:16 PM
Can it still be played ok on a table with pockets ?

Rod
11-26-2002, 11:51 PM
big,
Not really the pockets keep getting in the way. It's played on a 10 footer also. You can practice caroms or 3C to learn c/b paths. Playing a game is not ideal unless you make up rules etc, where the balls are spotted when they go in a pocket. To much hassle.

nAz
11-27-2002, 01:45 AM
3C is tough! but Balkline is probaly the hardest then again i dont think anyone plays that anymore /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

smfsrca
11-27-2002, 02:04 AM
I think for a pool player 3-cushion is at best a novelty. The skill does not add very much to your pool game as it is so specialized. If you are going to play on a carom table then it is invaluble to learn and play straight rail. Even if you plan on becoming a 3-cushion player you should master straight rail first. Straight rail caroms are the foundation for all other carom games and also many safety shots in pool.
Steve

CarolNYC
11-27-2002, 06:13 AM
Hey there,
Although Im not an avid billiard player,I have watched and it seemed quite impressive and also helped me to see my own angles to kick at a ball-also,I think one pocket is difficult ,running 100 balls is difficult and finally, SNOOKER-my God,those round edged pockets and small balls-makes regular table look like bowling balls!
Carol~just my opinion!

Sid_Vicious
11-27-2002, 11:13 AM
I'll say up front I'm not good at 3-C, but the game is really good for "thinking" lane patterns and ball speed, plus you imagination for "ticklish hits" become keen. All in all it makes much more sense(IMPH&SO)to play this game for your pool education than 1-pocket, but let's don't get me started on 1 hole. 3-C makes you a creative player, and I find creativity the meat of why I like all pool related games(well except for 1-hole) sid

Mike H
11-28-2002, 09:49 AM
3-c is one of the toughest games there is, up there with snooker, balkline, and Yahtzee LOL

I think it's worth taking up, as you'll learn invaluable principles of position and safety play, as well as the kicking game. Also, it's good for helping to build a powerful stroke, as the balls are heavier, and you'll often encounter shots that require you to put a good stroke on it.

Regards,
Mike H

Scott Lee
11-29-2002, 01:24 PM
bigbro...IMO, the main difference between pool and 3-c is that you will likely use sidespin on EVERY shot in 3-c, and you should use it much more sparingly in pool. Personally, I love the game, and it is a joy to watch it played at world-class levels. Also, 3-c players, like poolplayers have their on and off days. Last summer in New Orleans, I watched Cuelemans and Dick Jaspers (both world champions) playing exhibition matches. The one day I was watching, Jaspers could NOT hit a billiard, and Ray was playing smooth as ever! Then Jaspers won the world tournament a couple of weeks later! LOL Go figure! I have a personal high run of 7, and have run 5 on several occasions...and I don't play very often! But to watch guys run 15 or 20 billiards (like ALL the champions are capable of) is nothing short of spectacular!

Scott Lee

smfsrca
11-29-2002, 02:07 PM
As with straight pool (14.1) high run stats are interesting and impressive but don't say much about how a person plays or must play in order to compete. I don't play 3-cushion very much but my understanding is that a players average is the measure of comparison for any given tournament. I believe that champions average between 1.5 and 2.0 (this may go as high as 3 or 4 for any given set). Top players average between 1.0 and 1.5. To be competative at a local amateur level you need to average between 0.5 and 1.0.
Does all this sound correct, or am I off base here?

For fun visit http://www.caromcafe.com/frameset.html

Scott Lee
11-29-2002, 10:29 PM
You're right on with your numbers!

Scott Lee