PDA

View Full Version : elk master??!!?

11-26-2002, 11:08 PM
yep, elk master. i'm coming out of the closet.

i've put a genuine elk master tip on one of my playing cues and after several hours of shooting....i like it.

for those of you who may not know, elk master is the tip you shoot with on the house cues at the local pool room. nobody and i mean absolutely nobody puts one of those on a serious cue. do they?????

i know i have heard stories about mosconi cutting the tips off house cues to use later but were those elk masters??

now, i have some credentials here, as a tip person. i was among the first to discover talisman and have been playing with them for several years but their "soft" is just too hard for my taste, especially lately. tony has told me in the past that all his really good players are hard-tip people. so i asked my cue dr. to prescribe the softest she had.

yes, she thinks i'm crazy too.

but it works and i'm not completely sure why. it sorta feels like i've got that extra nano-second the tip is on the ball to complete the action. especially on those little "swipe" type shots.

anyway, i know that most-all you good players use hard tips but has anyone else gone soft or am i the only one?????

dan...dan's gone soft? yea, put out a press release on that one.

Rod
11-27-2002, 12:01 AM
Dan,
We used LePro on our house cues. At any rate there both inexpensive. Nope I ain't gonna use one but then I'm not you. I wouldn't mind them so much but they take to long to break in. Actually my choice would be Blue Diamond for that type of tip. I played with them for years until I had more choices.

11-27-2002, 12:40 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Rod:</font><hr> Dan,
We used LePro on our house cues. At any rate there both inexpensive. Nope I ain't gonna use one but then I'm not you. I wouldn't mind them so much but they take to long to break in. Actually my choice would be Blue Diamond for that type of tip. I played with them for years until I had more choices. <hr /></blockquote>

i guess you guys were upscale cause i remember the le pros being the step up from elk master-type tips. i had no real problem with the french tips but that they became dimes too fast and finished very hard and slippery.

blue diamond, huh? i'll keep that in mind if i decide to stay with these tips. i think the key is going to be to only play the tip, when it counts, in the middle of it's (brief) life.

dan

smfsrca
11-27-2002, 01:50 AM
I think Elk Master is a fine tip and it's certainly not grossly expensive. The only problems I ever really had with Elk Master is they don't last very long and they require 2 or 3 trimmings do to mushrooming. The one thing I rarely ever did with them is miscue. They hold chalk real well.
I tried most of the really expensive tips at least once but always went back to the Elk Master.
Right now, however, I use the Le Pro. A little harder and doesn't need as much breaking in.
I think the Triangle is also a good tip.
Once all these various tips are on, broken in and you are used to them I don't see much difference in how they affect your game.

Lets see
Moori - $25.00
Elk Master, LePro, Traingle - Buck and a half.
Oh! Now I see the difference. I got more money to gamble when I use LePro.

Steve

Cueless Joey
11-27-2002, 02:26 AM
I know one really good road player who soaks his elk master for 24 hrs on MILK then puts it in a vice for a few hrs then gets it installed.

bluewolf
11-27-2002, 05:23 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote houstondan:</font><hr> yep, elk master. i'm coming out of the closet.

i've put a genuine elk master tip on one of my playing cues and after several hours of shooting....i like it.

for those of you who may not know, elk master is the tip you shoot with on the house cues at the local pool room. nobody and i mean absolutely nobody puts one of those on a serious cue. do they?????

i know i have heard stories about mosconi cutting the tips off house cues to use later but were those elk masters??

now, i have some credentials here, as a tip person. i was among the first to discover talisman and have been playing with them for several years but their "soft" is just too hard for my taste, especially lately. but has anyone else gone soft or am i the only one?????

dan...dan's gone soft? yea, put out a press release on that one. <hr /></blockquote>

i like em soft. i have talisman soft on my cues but they are like the moori med. ww and i checked them both out. so if there are softer cues out there with some quallity i want to hear about it and where to get them.

thanks dan

blu

Eric.
11-27-2002, 10:19 AM
I think the Filipinos made the Elk more popular. I remember people soaking the tips and pressing in a vice, although this makes the tip harder (defeating what you want). Personally, I like a med to mh tip (Triangle or Talisman WB). I usually trim the tip down to a little more than 1/8" and never had problems with mushrooming or the "hit" changing over time.
I've never liked a soft tip because I always felt it may put a little unwanted English on the ball at an inopportune time.

Eric &gt;just another opinion

Tom_In_Cincy
11-27-2002, 04:57 PM
HDJ,
I use to keep an Elk Master on one of my spare shafts. Just for playing Banks. Its a 12.75 mm tip.. and a stiff shaft. I always play banks better if I am using this tip. I use a little side english almost everytime when I bank.