PDA

View Full Version : How do you weigh a cue?

SPetty
11-27-2002, 11:40 AM
Is there a "best" way to weigh my cue? If I had a scale and balanced the cue on its butt to weigh it, would that be accurate, or would the cue balancing against my hand take some of the weight off the scale? What kind of scale? Where do I get one?

I've been playing with a pretty light cue, and recently got another cue that is reported to be 19.5 ounces. It seems heavier, and much more butt heavy. I removed its weight bolt, but now it seems to be a little light. I think I'd like to make the new cue a little heavier than the old cue, but not a lot heavier. In order to do that, I'd have to have some idea of how light the old cue is, and how much to cut off the weight bolt of the new cue...

Bottom line: How do I weigh the cues?

Popcorn
11-27-2002, 11:52 AM
It is best to weight a cue on a scale that can read in grams, it is more accurate. Just remember to use the conversion of 28.35 and not just 28. On a cue of 20 ounces it will be off by 1/4 of an ounce if you don't.

Rod
11-27-2002, 11:53 AM
Hi there SPetty,

I think the most simple way for you is take it to the post office. Most have a weight scale in the lobby where you mail letters etc. Take the cue apart, Lay the cue down on the scale. Take the bolt and weigh it separate. I've used this method when I didn't have a scale. It is accurate so that's not a problem. If they don't have a separate scale take it to the counter, might get a strange look but who cares. Just make up a story, LOL you should be good at that. /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Rich R.
11-27-2002, 01:03 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote SPetty:</font><hr>
I've been playing with a pretty light cue, and recently got another cue that is reported to be 19.5 ounces. It seems heavier, and much more butt heavy. I removed its weight bolt, but now it seems to be a little light. I think I'd like to make the new cue a little heavier than the old cue, but not a lot heavier. In order to do that, I'd have to have some idea of how light the old cue is, and how much to cut off the weight bolt of the new cue...<hr /></blockquote>
SPetty, I'm far from an expert in this stuff, but I think you will find that two cues that weigh the same, will feel totally different, in the shooting position, based on how they are balanced.
I am currently playing with a cue that is roughly 19.5 oz. A friend, not used to a well balanced cue, tried hitting some balls with it and thought it was extremely light, around 15 oz. He could not believe the true weight.
IMHO, the perceived weight is much more important than the actual weight. I like a very evenly balanced, not butt heavy cues. However, it is a matter of personal taste.
Just thought I would try to confuse your buying decision even more. /ccboard/images/graemlins/confused.gif

Chris Cass
11-27-2002, 07:05 PM
Hi SPetty,

This is easy. First buy a surf board. Then take it to the beach in Fla. Buy another 19.5 oz cue. While standing on the surf board balance the two holding one in each hand. If you tip over it's heavier. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Hey, it works for Kato.

Regards,

C.C.~~ /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Rod
11-27-2002, 07:56 PM
HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA !!!!!

Hey Chris, you forgot one thing, remind her to take the tequila out of one hand!!LOL /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

SPetty
11-27-2002, 08:30 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Rod:</font><hr> Hey Chris, you forgot one thing, remind her to take the tequila out of one hand!! <hr /></blockquote>You guys are just SOOOOO funny... /ccboard/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

We don't have a scale in the lobby of the local post office. I'm not sure I have the *guts* to take it in and just ask them to weigh my cues. But thanks for the suggestions! Maybe I should try an office supply store for a postal scale, eh? Does anyone know if they work on things that weigh more than a few ounces? Is there another type of scale that would be better than a postal scale?

Vicki
11-27-2002, 09:25 PM
SPetty,

My boyfriend is a cuemaker. He weighs his cues WITH the shaft. He weighs the shafts in grams and matches equal weight shafts to the cues (they come with 2 shafts) so that the weight of the cue is not affected by which shaft you use. He ordered his scale from www.discountscales.com. (http://www.discountscales.com.) They are expensive - I think he spent a couple hundred for it.

Vicki

Rod
11-27-2002, 09:27 PM
SPetty,
I wouldn't buy one to use once or twice. A postal scale to two pounds might work, never tried. How about going to or calling the local Pro shop? They may even have a shorter bolt. Gun/shell reloaders have gram/grain scales, those are very accurate. I'd just buy a book of stamps and say hey will you weigh this for me? Give them your best smile. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif Hope you don't get one of those disgruntled ones. Not to mention it is busy season at the local PO. Well on second thought, never mind. Is your bolt/screw threaded for a screw to hold on the rubber bumper? If not you can buy 2 or three different lengths at the local hardware store. Probably a 3/8 x 16. Just some options.
The very last thing I can think of is bring it up here and I'll meet you at the airport. We will go to my local PO, the one with the scale in the lobby, and weigh everything. Following that Clicks is just across the road for a few games and yes your shots, Coors here. We'll have to wing it from there. Sounds like fun huh? /ccboard/images/graemlins/blush.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Vicki
11-27-2002, 09:33 PM
Oh Oh I got it!!!!! Try one of those postal stores like Mailboxes Etc or Parcel Post. Maybe they have one. You're less likely to have someone call in the ATF in a place like that anyway. I can just see some freaky postal employee pushing the silent alarm when you pull a pool cue from the case in line at the post office... lol!

Vicki

Chris Cass
11-28-2002, 12:34 AM
Hi SPetty,

Seriously, just take it to the post office and have them weigh it on their digital scale. They're exact and just tell them your thinking of mailing it and wanted to know the weight. I have done it before and nothing seemed out of the ordinary.

Now, I do have another way too. That's if you don't mind duct tape? /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Regards,

C.C.~~likes Susan.....

bell
11-28-2002, 04:46 PM
Why is tip width generally measured in millimiters (metric) and cue weight measured in ounces?

Fred Agnir
11-29-2002, 09:08 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote SPetty:</font><hr> Is there a "best" way to weigh my cue? If I had a scale and balanced the cue on its butt to weigh it, would that be accurate, or would the cue balancing against my hand take some of the weight off the scale? <hr /></blockquote>

Your hand will take some of the weight off.

If your scale measures in ounces, or measures pounds and two decimal points, then put the whole stick together and place it on the scale. If it wants to roll off, place something (like an eraser) on the scale to prevent it from rolling off. Don't forget to weigh (the eraser) afterwards to find out how much weight you have to subtract.

You know where the balance point of your cue is, so make sure that it (the balance point) is in the center of your scale.

Fred

curt
11-30-2002, 08:18 PM
I have always used the meat scale at my local deli or convenience store, WAWA, 7-11 etc. I beleive these scales are supposed to be very accurate.

Ward
12-01-2002, 08:17 AM
SPetty

Why not use the liquor scale at Clicks

Later
Ward