PDA

View Full Version : Giving the layout the attention it deserves

Duke Mantee
11-27-2002, 06:06 PM
Two or three times recently I've pocketed a ball, put the cue ball where I wanted it to go, and found myself snookered behind a ball I'd overlooked as a hazard. Very, very stupid. No one else makes these blunders, fortunately...

I've got to remember to give the layout the attention it deserves on every shot--the "other balls" are always important.

D.M.

11-27-2002, 06:23 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Duke Mantee:</font><hr> Two or three times recently I've pocketed a ball, put the cue ball where I wanted it to go, and found myself snookered behind a ball I'd overlooked as a hazard. Very, very stupid. No one else makes these blunders, fortunately...

I've got to remember to give the layout the attention it deserves on every shot--the "other balls" are always important.

D.M. <hr /></blockquote>

I hear ya. I think if you quit playing for a few days after a month or two of hardcore practice, you'll find yourself taking better patterns. I've noticed my play has really began to suck lately because I'm overconfident or I'm trying to do things that are low percentage because I have so much faith in my speed control.

I'm writing this for myself more than anything, but go through the rack with as much insurance as possible.. play position for 3 or 4 balls in 8-ball, or go for the most open area in 9-ball.

Chris Cass
11-28-2002, 12:41 AM
Hi Duke,

I agree with you totally. I think it's a total lack of respect for the game to do that. The shot isn't over once the ball sinks. The shot has to be played with every possibility in mind and guarentee yourself the outcome within 5% of error. I'm talking about never taking anything for granted. I'm a firm believer in Murphys Law. If you let whitey go, it should be gin. BTW, when you get done kicking yourself, I'm sure you'll be better for it.

Regards,

C.C.