PDA

View Full Version : What Are The Best Western Movies Of All Time?

TomBrooklyn
11-27-2002, 09:37 PM
My picks:

The Outlaw Jossie Wales.

Josey Wales, distraught over the murder his family and soldiering squad, tries to warn Lone Watie to stay away from him: ..."Whenever I get to liking some one they ain't around for long."

Lone Watie ... "I noticed when you get to disliking someone they ain't around for long neither."

Pale Rider

Young Megan, having buried her slaughtered dog, tearfully begs the Lord to protect her and her mother. She reads from the Bible: So I saw, and behold, a pale horse. It's riders name was Death, and Hell followed with him.

Just then she looks up and in the distance sees a man dressed as a preacher, riding towards them on a white horse.

PQQLK9
11-27-2002, 09:55 PM
Blazing Saddles /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Rod
11-27-2002, 10:04 PM
Well Tom you got my vote on the first one and Pale Rider was good to. There is more just can't think of them right now.

Leviathan
11-27-2002, 10:40 PM
Once Upon a Time in the West

...honorable mention: One-Eyed Jacks, A Fistful of Dollars

...best Western novels: Valdez Is Coming, The Bounty Hunters, Hombre--all by Elmore Leonard

...favorite line from TV Western (Maverick?): "Ugh. Whiteman talk much, say little."

--I. Perfidio--

Cueless Joey
11-27-2002, 11:09 PM
I loved the spaghetti ones.
The Good the Bad The Ugly, Fistful of Dollars, For A Few Dollars More.
My Name is Nobody (Henry Fonda and Terrence Hill).
But, the best was Once Upon A Time in the West ( Bronson, Claudia Cardenali=hot chick, Jason Robards and Henry Fonda the villain supreme. The music in this movie is so POWERFUL.

Vapros
11-27-2002, 11:48 PM
The very best ones are gettin' pretty old. ElDorado, Shane, The War Wagon, High Noon and The Gunfighter.

WaltVA
11-28-2002, 12:10 AM
Of the oldies, "Shane",followed by "High Noon", "Rio Bravo","The Magnificent Seven" and the Eastwood "spaghettis"

More recently, "Tombstone" was memorable, especially for Val Kilmer's Doc Holliday role. "I'm your huckleberry."

Walt in VA

Chris Cass
11-28-2002, 12:19 AM
Hi Tom,

I love them all. You have some excellent picks also. My favorites have to be The Good, The Bad and The Ugly, The Magnificent Seven, I think Little Big Man? With Dustin Hoffman is a good movie for laughs...

Regards,

C.C.~~The Duke is my favorite too.

Alfie
11-28-2002, 04:41 AM
"High Noon" (1952)
"A Man Called Horse" (1970)
"Little Big Man" (1970)
"McCabe & Mrs. Miller" (1971)
"Zachariah" (1971) the first electric western
"Jeremiah Johnson" (1972)
"Heartland" (1980)
"Zorro, the Gay Blade" (1981)
"Lust in the Dust" (1985)
"A River Runs Through It" (1992) kind of a western :-)
"The Last of the Mohicans" (1992) an eastern western

CarolNYC
11-28-2002, 05:13 AM
"The Good,the Bad and the UGLY"-Hang'em High-and anyother Clint Eastwood western-also,"Shenandoah"!
Carol~wanted 10 sons but is blessed with 3 daughters!:)

silverbullet
11-28-2002, 06:15 AM
You have my vote on the ones that clint starred in, but I like the good the bad and the ugly the best.

Laura

Voodoo Daddy
11-28-2002, 07:26 AM
The best western, without question, the undisputed KING of westerns is "Who killed Liberty Valance" Every star in Hollywood at the time was in it, just fantastic!! Anything Clint gets the nod for runner-up especially Unforgiven...but thats just me!!

stickman
11-28-2002, 07:42 AM
Shane was the first to come to my mind, followed by all the Clint Eastwood westerns.

Midnight Cowboy? HeHeHeHeHe, I'm not sure it could really be called a western.

MikeM
11-28-2002, 09:12 AM
IMO all the best westerns were in B&W. My favorite western actor is Robert Mitchum. His best movie, again IMO, was Blood on the Moon. Also Rachel and the Stranger and of course El Dorado.

MM

TomBrooklyn
11-28-2002, 09:55 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote MikeM:</font><hr>Blood on the Moon. <hr /></blockquote> http://www.readthewest.com/chipcarlson.htm ??
http://us.imdb.com/Plot?0040175 ?
http://www.ifilm.com/ifilm/product/film_info/0%2C3699%2C2311565%2C00.html Yes.

Took me a while to find this. Looks good. Made in 1948. Will probably be hard to find on VHS. That book from the first link looks good, too.

TomBrooklyn
11-28-2002, 10:09 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Cueless Joey:</font><hr> I loved the spaghetti ones.<hr /></blockquote>There was a Spagetti Western themed bar and restaurant I used to eat at on Reade Street or was it Duane Street, just west of Broadway in downtown Manhatten.

Anyone from NY ever eat there? What was the name of that place? I think it was 'Spagetti Something'. The calamari was pretty good for an inexpensive light meal. And they put an interesting sour dough bread on the table that looked like an Italian loaf but skinnier.

TomBrooklyn
11-28-2002, 10:16 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Alfie:</font><hr>"Zorro, the Gay Blade" (1981)<hr /></blockquote>Put this one in The Best Comedy catagory too. But that is the subject of another thread.

I like all the Zorro movies, a couple of them were very good.

Mr Ingrate
11-28-2002, 12:49 PM
I can't believe no one mentioned the very best western of all time, The Wild Bunch. (http://www.filmsite.org/wildb.html) Click on the link for a comprehensive review.

Cueless Joey
11-28-2002, 01:30 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Mr Ingrate:</font><hr> I can't believe no one mentioned the very best western of all time, The Wild Bunch. (http://www.filmsite.org/wildb.html) Click on the link for a comprehensive review. <hr /></blockquote>
Or any of Sam Peckinpah's great work.http://www.sampeckinpah.com/
http://www.geocities.com/Hollywood/Academy/1912/

9 Ball Girl
11-28-2002, 03:00 PM
Hey Tom, I occasionally go to "Spaghetti Western" for lunch when I go to work. It's located on Reade Street between Broadway and Church.

Tom_In_Cincy
11-28-2002, 03:40 PM
Red River (for that matter.. any John Wayne movie) The Shootist was a good one too.

Clint's "The Outlaw Joesy Wales" is a great one.. but his other are good too.. Especially "The Unforgiven"
Fist full of dollars
Hang em high
Good the bad and the Ugly

"Silverado" is one of my top 5 favorites.

I use to live for Saturday mornings to watch Roy Rogers and his cutie wife Dale Evens, the serial TV shows. and reruns of the Roy Rogers and Gene Autry movies.

Any movie about the Gunfight at the OK coral. "MY Darling Clemintine" the movie original is great.

"Once upon a time in the west" one of the best spegitti westerns ever made.

I guess I just gave you my top 20 list in no particular order.

Mr Ingrate
11-28-2002, 07:57 PM
Now, if we're talking about comedy westerns then I would go with Cat Ballou (http://www.ravecentral.com/catballou.html) as number one and the James Coburn (RIP) movie, Waterhole No. 3 (http://www.blockbuster.com/bb/movie/details/0,7286,VID-V++++53579,00.html) as my second choice.

Tom_In_Cincy
11-28-2002, 08:10 PM
the scene in Cat Ballou with the horse leaning up against the wall with his legs crossed is halarious

And, the infamous line in Waterhole #3 of being "Attacked with a friendly weapon" is wonderful

Mr Ingrate
11-28-2002, 08:18 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Tom_In_Cincy:</font><hr> the scene in Cat Ballou with the horse leaning up against the wall with his legs crossed is halarious

And, the infamous line in Waterhole #3 of being "Attacked with a friendly weapon" is wonderful <hr /></blockquote>

That scene was hilarious, but the one that really slayed me, was when Cat Ballou's father Franky is laid out in his coffin with candles burning on top and the drunken gunfighter (Lee Marvin) comes in, sings "happy birthday dear Franky", and then blows out the candles.

Tom_In_Cincy
11-28-2002, 08:21 PM
Oh My God,
I forgot about that.. I thought I had hurt a stomache muscle laughing so hard when he started singing.. Great scene

TomBrooklyn
11-28-2002, 08:31 PM
It might be hard to find some of these movies to rent now. I tried Blockbuster.com which tracks every store and they didn't have:

Who Killed Liberty Vance.
Once Upon a Time in the West

They have Blood On The Moon, but not in the store closest to me.

Shucks, pardner.

Tom_In_Cincy
11-28-2002, 09:11 PM
Tom

I believe it was "The Man who shot Liberty Valence"

Karatemom
11-28-2002, 11:02 PM
Any of Clint Eastwood's or John Wayne's movies would get my vote, however, I like Unforgiven (Eastwood), and The Shootist (Wayne), the best.

Heide ~ they're all good

9 Ball Girl
11-28-2002, 11:37 PM
Hi Tom. You might want to check here for some of these flicks, www.moviesunlimited.com. (http://www.moviesunlimited.com.) I've been getting videos/dvds from them for a couple of years now and they're pretty trustworthy. I checked and they have Once Upon A Time In The West.

As far as my favorites are concerned, it would have to be The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly. As far as comedy is concerned, I would have to say Blazing Saddles.

Barbara
11-29-2002, 10:05 AM
There's a "Clint Eastwood Marathon" going on TBS today!!

Barbara~~~baking goodies today... /ccboard/images/graemlins/cool.gif

wolfdancer
11-29-2002, 08:20 PM
While watching Cat Ballou for the first time; I also got stoned for the first time. All of a sudden, it wasn't a movie; it was actually happening. I thought it was the greatest movie ever, until I saw it sober.
There is no mention on this thread, of what has to really be the "Best Western" ever..no other movie comes close in size.. "The Terror of Tiny Town" all the actors were midgets, or dwarfs, and the horses were ponies.Even Ed Wood never made a movie, that could compare....

Wally_in_Cincy
12-02-2002, 07:44 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote WaltVA:</font><hr>
More recently, "Tombstone" was memorable, especially for Val Kilmer's Doc Holliday role. "I'm your huckleberry."
<hr /></blockquote>

Val Kilmer should have gotten an Oscar for that...seriously. Anybody who hasn't seen Tombstone go get it.

My girlfriend's favorite line is where the actress sees Kurt Russell and asks Billy Zane "What's that?"

Billy Zane says "That's a cowboy"

Then she says "I want one" /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Wally_in_Cincy
12-02-2002, 07:48 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote TomBrooklyn:</font><hr> The Outlaw Jossie Wales.

<hr /></blockquote>

The bounty hunter in the bar: "Hey a feller's gotta make a livin' "

Josey: "Dyin' ain't much of a livin' boy" /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Fred Agnir
12-02-2002, 11:59 AM
Do Oklahoma, Urban Cowboy, or Back to the Future II count?

Fred &lt;~~~ Unforgiven, Magnificent 7, and the Long Riders

Fred Agnir
12-02-2002, 12:00 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Tom_In_Cincy:</font><hr> Tom

I believe it was "The Man who shot Liberty Valence" <hr /></blockquote>
And I believe it was Jimmy Stewart.

HTH,

F

Mr Ingrate
12-02-2002, 12:39 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Fred Agnir:</font><hr> <blockquote><font class="small">Quote Tom_In_Cincy:</font><hr> Tom

HTH,

F <hr /></blockquote>

But it was really John Wayne who shot Liberty (Lee Marvin) Valance.

Fred Agnir
12-02-2002, 02:16 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Mr Ingrate:</font><hr> <blockquote><font class="small">Quote Fred Agnir:</font><hr> <blockquote><font class="small">Quote Tom_In_Cincy:</font><hr> Tom

HTH,

F <hr /></blockquote>

But it was really John Wayne who shot Liberty (Lee Marvin) Valance. <hr /></blockquote>

Sshhhh... the townsfolk don't know that.

Fred

James B
12-02-2002, 08:40 PM
F Troop

Wally_in_Cincy
12-03-2002, 07:30 AM
Django

Spaghetti western starring Franco Nero.
Bustamante's nickname came from this movie. They called him Django cause he was a cocky kid like the movie character.

Should this be in "pool-related"?

here's a pic.......

http://www.postermaniacs.com/originals/onesheets/django_rr_spain.jpg

OnePocketChamp
12-05-2002, 05:45 PM
My top three picks are: Shane, The Searchers and The Magnificant Seven and I loved Lonesome Dove because it was a great book.

TomBrooklyn
12-25-2002, 07:05 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Tom_In_Cincy:</font><hr>(for that matter.. any John Wayne movie) <hr /></blockquote>How about Rio Lobo and Big Jake, Tom? They got panned by the Cinebooks. (www.tvguide.com and click on the movie)

Cable channel TBS Superstation has a John Wayne Marathon today.

I'm going to tape Quiet Man, Rio Bravo, McClintuck, Hondo, and Chisum. I'm going to skip Rio Lobo and Big Jake based on the Cinebooks reviews.

Tom_In_Cincy
12-25-2002, 10:39 AM
Tom.,

any John Wayne western movie is a good movie.. all the great directors, background scenes, supporting actors (except for Patrick Wayne) are worth the effort to watch...