PDA

View Full Version : Choking up on the cue = good results

11-28-2002, 05:24 AM
Ok, a while ago, either Tom or Wally from Cincy said that a person told them that holding farther back on the cue would make you better in the long run.. but I've always believed in holding the cue up a little more... about 3 - 4 inches from the end of it.. but I tried holding back farther to see what would happen.. for about 2 months probably.. and I've been playing like crap.

I'm 6'2" tall, and alot of people my height constantly hold the cue at the very end.. with only average results. I've attributed alot of my winning percentage to my rule of choking up on the cuestick. It seems to lessen the amount of deflection in the cue, as well as it's more comfortable and easier to hold that way.

The other thing.. my speed control is almost perfect now that I've gone back to choking up on the cue. For a while, it was hard to even get the cueball to the middle of the table.. and I kept overshooting my position. When I choke up, I use less of a backswing, and therefore it's easy to hit a medium or soft speed accuratly.

Does anyone here conciously remind themselves to hold the cue at a certain spot, or to "choke up" on it? I'm just wondering if I'm the only one that notices such great results from a very, very small change.

/ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

silverbullet
11-28-2002, 05:55 AM
I can only parrot what scott and randy have taught me. With the elbow in a non drop position and the arm directly under the elbow or just slight forward is where a person should hold the cue. They said if using a short bridge, the hand moves up on the cue. If using a long bridge, it moves back.

This is not what I have figured out on my own. It is what two master BCA instructors have told me. I try very hard to do what they tell me.

From observation, it seems that taller players would have their hand further back. Just a question. When you choke up on the cue, do you feel all scrunched up?

Laura

stickman
11-28-2002, 08:27 AM
I'm 6'6" tall. My normal grip on my 58" cue is behind the wrap, with a usual 6" to 8" bridge length. On some touch shots, and also some shots requiring extreme acuracy, I choke up by shortening my bridge length and moving my hand up on the wrap. If I have a shot where there is just a ball's width area to squeeze the ball through, I'll often have approximately a 2" bridge. Yes, I feel I'm more accurate, but I don't shoot this way as a rule. It would be very difficult to shoot with much power with this bridge length, without poking.

11-28-2002, 08:49 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote stickman:</font><hr> I'm 6'6" tall. My normal grip on my 58" cue is behind the wrap, with a usual 6" to 8" bridge length. On some touch shots, and also some shots requiring extreme acuracy, I choke up by shortening my bridge length and moving my hand up on the wrap. If I have a shot where there is just a ball's width area to squeeze the ball through, I'll often have approximately a 2" bridge. Yes, I feel I'm more accurate, but I don't shoot this way as a rule. It would be very difficult to shoot with much power with this bridge length, without poking. <hr /></blockquote>

Yep, I just try to keep somewhere in the middle on 80% of my shots. You can't really make a generalized rule about pool.. there isn't a set standard that you can shoot every shot by.. but for the most part, I try to make sure that my right (swinging) arm is either strait down or forward a little bit upon contact with the cueball.

I think lately I've had it back a hair.. and wierd stuff happens if you do that.. including alot of misses.. however, sometimes (maybe 1 time in 3 games) you'll have a shot that almost requires you to use a real long bridge and grip the end of the cue.. usually off the rail shots when the cueball is 6 - 8" off the rail. Not enough room to put your hand down comfortably.

11-28-2002, 08:55 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote silverbullet:</font><hr> I can only parrot what scott and randy have taught me. With the elbow in a non drop position and the arm directly under the elbow or just slight forward is where a person should hold the cue. They said if using a short bridge, the hand moves up on the cue. If using a long bridge, it moves back.

This is not what I have figured out on my own. It is what two master BCA instructors have told me. I try very hard to do what they tell me.

From observation, it seems that taller players would have their hand further back. Just a question. When you choke up on the cue, do you feel all scrunched up?

Laura <hr /></blockquote>

No, I keep my bridge hand strait, maybe ever so slightly bent.. but barely.. sometimes I think it's locked though, and just use a shorter bridge, while holding up farther on the butt end of the cue. I think your instructors are smart. /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Sometimes I put a sticker (on a cue that doesn't have a wrap on it) where my "sweet spot" on the stick is.. like I said, about 3 - 4" from the end of my cue to my pinky.

I always try to follow Robery Byrnes' advice on such things, and he says the same thing.. choke up for accuracy.. however, I tried to do something different and it didn't work. /ccboard/images/graemlins/mad.gif

Chris Cass
11-28-2002, 09:45 AM
Hi Kid,

What you are doing essentially is changing the balance point. Now, I'm 5'6 1/2 + 6mm tall. LOL I shoot with a 58 1/2" cue. I've always suggested anyone over 6' tall should have a longer shaft made for the cue. 2" difference is enough. Then, they can hold the cue to their best advantage, balanced.

Like everyone will tell ya, the grip hand travels up and down the cue depending upon the shot. True... On most shots as mentioned, my elbow is always at 90 and my grip will have my pinky just touching just outside the wrap. This isn't the true balance point of the cue but, it's where I feel balanced. JAT A lot has to do with the amount of cue sticking out from your bridge. I find the worse my eyes become the more cue I need to extend past the bridge hand. Also, my speed is effected by the length of bride extended.

Makes sence, the more extended the more vision and less control. The amount of follow-thru is dependant on the amount of cue extended also. Basically, I'm like one of those Army Transport Helicopters that have two propellers on top and by law they're not suppose to be able to fly but they just do. LOL /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Regards,

C.C.~~I suggest you try out a 2" longer shaft. I honestly think this would help your game. It will move the grip hand just a little forward for ya.

11-28-2002, 11:25 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote silverbullet:</font><hr> I can only parrot what scott and randy have taught me. It is what two master BCA instructors have told me.Laura <hr /></blockquote>

no offense intended but that's only one bca master.

dan

Rod
11-28-2002, 12:50 PM
Seattle-kid, there is nothing wrong with your approach. There is not one way or place to hold the cue. As Chris mentioned you might be better off with a longer shaft, it will move your back hand forward.

I've had a saying for years, Long to Long and Short to Short. Which simply means both hands move in unison from your standard position. If you had a little nip draw stroke, you would have a short bridge but you wouldn't hold the end of the handle. The back hand moves up on the handle equal distance. That's done to compliment the shot at hand. Of course there are small variances but you get the idea. By all means use all of the cue and like you mentioned a shorter bridge will help accuracy. I really think some people are under the assumption that farther back is more power. After a point that's not true and accuracy goes out the window. The arguement would be they see Earl etc play this way. Well were not Earl and don't put in near the hours to perfect it. Watch the Pro's you will see them move around on the cue. You'll see even more in a 1P match.

11-28-2002, 04:45 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Chris Cass:</font><hr> Hi Kid,

What you are doing essentially is changing the balance point. Now, I'm 5'6 1/2 + 6mm tall. LOL I shoot with a 58 1/2" cue. I've always suggested anyone over 6' tall should have a longer shaft made for the cue. 2" difference is enough. Then, they can hold the cue to their best advantage, balanced.

Like everyone will tell ya, the grip hand travels up and down the cue depending upon the shot. True... On most shots as mentioned, my elbow is always at 90 and my grip will have my pinky just touching just outside the wrap. This isn't the true balance point of the cue but, it's where I feel balanced. JAT A lot has to do with the amount of cue sticking out from your bridge. I find the worse my eyes become the more cue I need to extend past the bridge hand. Also, my speed is effected by the length of bride extended.

Makes sence, the more extended the more vision and less control. The amount of follow-thru is dependant on the amount of cue extended also. Basically, I'm like one of those Army Transport Helicopters that have two propellers on top and by law they're not suppose to be able to fly but they just do. LOL /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Regards,

C.C.~~I suggest you try out a 2" longer shaft. I honestly think this would help your game. It will move the grip hand just a little forward for ya. <hr /></blockquote>

Hi, Chris! I hope things are well with you today.

Anyways, I actually do have a 60" cue and also a 59" cue that I play with *sometimes* but I've found that they longer shaft seems to miscue alot more on hard draw shots. I more oftenly shoot the cueball across the room than I do with a 58" cue.

However, I do like the feel of it other than that.. it does feel more balanced and I feel I have a little more room to play with and grip with. I should go have the tip replaced on it and see if that makes a difference.

11-28-2002, 04:56 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Rod:</font><hr> Seattle-kid, there is nothing wrong with your approach. There is not one way or place to hold the cue. As Chris mentioned you might be better off with a longer shaft, it will move your back hand forward.

I've had a saying for years, Long to Long and Short to Short. Which simply means both hands move in unison from your standard position. If you had a little nip draw stroke, you would have a short bridge but you wouldn't hold the end of the handle. The back hand moves up on the handle equal distance. That's done to compliment the shot at hand. Of course there are small variances but you get the idea. By all means use all of the cue and like you mentioned a shorter bridge will help accuracy. I really think some people are under the assumption that farther back is more power. After a point that's not true and accuracy goes out the window. The arguement would be they see Earl etc play this way. Well were not Earl and don't put in near the hours to perfect it. Watch the Pro's you will see them move around on the cue. You'll see even more in a 1P match. <hr /></blockquote>

Hi Rod! Happy thanksgiving!

Yeah, I was wondering if I was the only one that "conciously" tried to keep a shorter bridge for accuracy. I like your rule of short to short, long to long.

I was playing straight pool last night and was running 25 or 30 balls pretty easily, compared to the last couple months when I was gripping more back on the cue, it took me all day to get in a run over 20. It could be the tightness of my pockets also.. need to be alot more accurate.. but if I transfer that to a regular table I'd probably do even a little better.

I think the point is here, that a person who is 5'6" tall isn't going to be better in "the long run" by gripping the end of the cue, as was discussed in an earlier thread a couple months ago or so. If they do, then they've put in alot of practice if they are good at it.

bigbro6060
11-28-2002, 05:38 PM
I simply grip the cue at the point which is going to ensure that my cueing arm is totally perpendicular at impact of the cueball. When doing my technique work, i use a mirror and just check whilst feathering the cue

Longer bridge = further back on the cue, shorter bridge for short touch shots = 'choking' up on the cue but i try never to break the rule of having the lower arm of my cueing arm perpendicular at impact

Rod
11-28-2002, 08:46 PM
Happy TDay SK. I'm not what I would call very concious of bridge length. I've played making adjustments in bridge and handle lengths for so long it just happens. If it calls for short I adjust. My standard length is abt 8". I'm 5'7+ and for me to hold near the end of the handle would be a disaster wating to happen. The only time I get near the end is when I have to reach. I do a lot of that at my height.
Your going about it the right way, believe me the woods are filled with long bridges, missed balls and miscues.

Scott Lee
11-28-2002, 09:50 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote houstondan:</font><hr>

dan <hr /></blockquote>

dan...Technically you are correct...for the moment! I expect to finish my master certification this spring! LOL

Scott

stickman
11-28-2002, 09:52 PM
I have been thinking that I want to get a 60" cue for my next cue. I've been told that after I shoot with one, I'll never use a standard length cue again. While I was at a tourney in KC, a cue repair person and I was talking about it, and he told me that a custom 60" cue would be an inch longer butt and an inch longer shaft. He thought this was preferable to having an extra shaft made two inches longer. Opinions?

11-28-2002, 11:28 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote stickman:</font><hr> I have been thinking that I want to get a 60" cue for my next cue. I've been told that after I shoot with one, I'll never use a standard length cue again. While I was at a tourney in KC, a cue repair person and I was talking about it, and he told me that a custom 60" cue would be an inch longer butt and an inch longer shaft. He thought this was preferable to having an extra shaft made two inches longer. Opinions? <hr /></blockquote>

I have one that is just like that.. the butt end is 1" longer, and the shaft is 1" longer to make it so A) it's even and B) it'll still fit in your case.

I love playing with it, untill either A) I have to hit a hard draw or follow shot.. I think the longer shaft bends a little more and causes miscues a little easier.. and/or B) I'm in a place that already has limited room to shoot.

You'd be surprised at how much 2" is when you are playing a tournament and have people on the table next to you. You start wondering if you should have a red flag stapled to the end of it to warn people of it's length. /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

But other than that, you being taller than myself, you would probably greatly benefit from a 60" cue. Whether it is custom, or you find one that someone has, I don't know if it makes a difference.. but it would make things easier for you, especially if you do have to reach a little bit.

11-28-2002, 11:34 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Rod:</font><hr> Happy TDay SK. I'm not what I would call very concious of bridge length. I've played making adjustments in bridge and handle lengths for so long it just happens. If it calls for short I adjust. My standard length is abt 8". I'm 5'7+ and for me to hold near the end of the handle would be a disaster wating to happen. The only time I get near the end is when I have to reach. I do a lot of that at my height.
Your going about it the right way, believe me the woods are filled with long bridges, missed balls and miscues. <hr /></blockquote>

that makes sense. For some reason I just thought I'd try something different, and it didn't work very good.

Anyhow, I think that a shorter bridge actually causes less deflection also. I notice that I can literally SLAM an "almost stait in" shot using massive english to force follow down to the end rail and back to the middle of the table ALOT more consistently when I shorten the bridge to about 4-6" rather than the usual 7 or 8". I know this shot doesn't come up much, but if it does, I try to be as accurate as I can.

11-29-2002, 12:13 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Scott Lee:</font><hr> <blockquote><font class="small">Quote houstondan:</font><hr>

dan <hr /></blockquote>

dan...Technically you are correct...for the moment! I expect to finish my master certification this spring! LOL

Scott <hr /></blockquote>

well, congratulations in advance, scott. are they going to be ok with you roaming into other master's turf or will you finally come off the road??

dan...stop by again sometime, there's probably more steak (etc) around here someplace.

EZMark
11-29-2002, 01:19 AM
You can ask Scott Lee I play jam up one pocket, I am 5 foot 7, my cue is 56 inches with 4inch extension built in by Nat Green. I also do a lot of teaching, I believe the hand should be directly under the elbow my normal bridge is 10",if I have a finess shot I shorten the bridge the back hand also moves up. That is what I believe. Thnx EZMark

silverbullet
11-29-2002, 07:42 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote houstondan:</font><hr> <blockquote><font class="small">Quote silverbullet:</font><hr> I can only parrot what scott and randy have taught me. It is what two master BCA instructors have told me.Laura <hr /></blockquote>

dan <hr /></blockquote>

which one? scott and randy i thought both said they were. am i mistaken or misheard?

Laura

Scott Lee
11-29-2002, 11:56 AM
dan...There is NO "protected turf" for ANY BCA instructor. We are ALL "freelance", so to speak. If I felt like it, I could open a pool school in Dallas. I wouldn't, as Randy fills the bill quite nicely there...but he takes his school on the road too! I am a "traveling school"...have cue will travel, as it were! Yes, I definitely plan to stop into Houston next time. Wanted to this last time, but had to get to LA for a gig.

Scott

Scott Lee
11-29-2002, 12:09 PM
Yep...it's true...Mark doesn't play one-hole TOO bad! LOL He told me next time he'll play me 8-2!...right Mark? LMAO

Scott

11-29-2002, 06:25 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Scott Lee:</font><hr> dan...There is NO "protected turf" for ANY BCA instructor. We are ALL "freelance", so to speak. If I felt like it, I could open a pool school in Dallas. I wouldn't, as Randy fills the bill quite nicely there...but he takes his school on the road too! I am a "traveling school"...have cue will travel, as it were! Yes, I definitely plan to stop into Houston next time. Wanted to this last time, but had to get to LA for a gig.

Scott <hr /></blockquote>

Scott.. when, if ever, will you be in the Seattle area?

Scott Lee
11-29-2002, 10:17 PM
S.K...Rustle up a half dozen lessons for me, and I'll come over there sometime next month. I will be back in MT by the end of next week! Other than that, it would likely be not until next summer!

Scott Lee

11-30-2002, 04:47 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Scott Lee:</font><hr> S.K...Rustle up a half dozen lessons for me, and I'll come over there sometime next month. I will be back in MT by the end of next week! Other than that, it would likely be not until next summer!

Scott Lee <hr /></blockquote>

Ok, I'll try. What do you charge per lesson? If I get my sisters pool team together to pitch in, plus myself and maybe some people from my team here, and my team in bremerton, we could probably get some kinda thing going.. I'm not going to say it's for SURE, but I'll try.

Can you do group sessions? Or do you like one on one teaching better? Or maybe do a group thing, and work with each person individually? I know I myself would pay a couple hundred bucks to learn something new..

Gayle in MD
11-30-2002, 05:21 AM
Hi all, reading this thread made me wonder once again whether I should have a custom cue made. I am five foot three, and when I compare the cue lenghts and heigths mentioned here to my height, it sure sounds like it would be a good idea, my cue being fifty-eight and a half. One thing is for sure, Scott had me move back hand up so that it was perpendicular, and it helped my game tremendously. Now, if I could just get over my tendency to lose it in league play, and shoot as well as I can shoot when I am shooting for fun! Oh well, that's another thread, LOL. How long should my cue be if I am five foot three?? /ccboard/images/graemlins/confused.gifThinking of having Santa bring me a new one.
Gayle in Md.

Alfie
11-30-2002, 06:25 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Gayle in MD:</font><hr> How long should my cue be if I am five foot three?? <hr /></blockquote> three questions
How far from the tip is you bridge?
How far from the tip is the front of your grip when your forearm hangs straight down?
How far from the tip is the sticks balance point?

Gayle in MD
11-30-2002, 07:31 AM
Hi Alfie, thanks for responding. I try to keep my bridge length in the five to six inch range from the OB, which once extended with the follow through is in the ten to twelve inch range. The balance point (where it will balance itself on two fingers) seems to be at thirty eight inch mark, my back hand is forty four to forty six inches away from the tip, depending on the shot. Think I need a shorter stick? /ccboard/images/graemlins/confused.gif
Gayle in Md.

Sid_Vicious
11-30-2002, 08:36 AM
Not meaning to discount anybody's 1-pocket game, still I must say that in the pokey stroke used in 1-pocket is unique and much different to the most, if not all other pocket billiard games. I've seen super one pocket players come to a league match after playing 1-pocket and be absolutely horrible, losing to B- players, and several losses! So, when you start comparing fundamentals about cuemanship, I truly feel that 1-pocket is the wrong one to benchmark from...sid~~~contends that 1-hole is a stroke stiffler for other pocket billiard games, especially 9-ball

Chris Cass
11-30-2002, 09:05 AM
Hi Gayle,

Jimmy Reid has a formula for this but I don't think it's all that necessary. I think a 57" cue would be ok. However, I think Jimmy would say, if your 5'1" and under you'd need a 54" cue, weighing 17 oz. Now, 5'4" to 5'7" is a 56" cue and 17.5 oz. in weight.

Regards,

C.C.~~5'6" and my cue is 58 1/2" and weighs 19.75 oz. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Alfie
11-30-2002, 09:19 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Gayle in MD:</font><hr> I try to keep my bridge length in the five to six inch range from the OB <hr /></blockquote> That's fine.

<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Gayle in MD:</font><hr> The balance point (where it will balance itself on two fingers) seems to be at thirty eight inch mark, my back hand is forty four to forty six inches away from the tip, depending on the shot. <hr /></blockquote> Your back hand is 6-8 inches behind the balance point, that's fine, and it will be even further back if you use a longer bridge. IMO, that is sufficient to maintain control of the front of the cue when using an open bridge. That means the cue is not too long.

<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Gayle in MD:</font><hr>Think I need a shorter stick? <hr /></blockquote> Being 5'3", you might need that length to reach some shots.

Alfie's assessment- your current stick's length is hunky-dory. Are you satisfied with it?

Scott Lee
11-30-2002, 08:35 PM
S.K....I do both one-on-one, and group lessons. Doesn't matter to me. Generally, a group will require more time, so that everyone gets some individual attention, as well as the benefit of the group instruction. Please email me with your phone number, and we can discuss details.

Scott Lee

Gayle in MD
12-01-2002, 12:03 PM
Thanks Chris and Alfie, I think it is OK. although when I read about others whose height is so much taller than I, I always wonder how my stick could be the right length. Maybe I am just looking for that magic bullet, LOL. Thanks for responding though!
Gayle in Md. /ccboard/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Chris Cass
12-01-2002, 12:14 PM
Hi Gayle,

Your quite welcome. My son is about 4 ft. he's 10. Yesterday, he played in a handicap tourney. He played a match with a 7 and he's a 4. He broke and ran the entire rack after potting only one ball on the break. His safety play was great and he beat the guy 4-4.

He shoots with a 58" cue, and his hip isn't up to the rail yet. You'll be just fine. The magic bullet is really no secret. It's all the stroke. It must be straight and totally, consistant. Get mirror, a camcorder and make it perfect. Burn it in without doing anything else for a mth or so then, do your drills. You'll see the difference. The problem is that most might burn in the inconsistancy. That's where Scott and others might help. JAT

Regards,

C.C.

silverbullet
12-01-2002, 06:08 PM
well, scott, i certainly see no conflict. you and randy fill different needs and compliment each other well,imo.

Laura

silverbullet
12-01-2002, 06:15 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Gayle in MD:</font><hr> Hi all, reading this thread made me wonder once again whether I should have a custom cue made. I am five foot three, and when I compare the cue lenghts and heigths mentioned here to my height, it sure sounds like it would be a good idea, my cue being fifty-eight and a half. One thing is for sure, Scott had me move back hand up so that it was perpendicular, and it helped my game tremendously. Now, if I could just get over my tendency to lose it in league play, and shoot as well as I can shoot when I am shooting for fun! Oh well, that's another thread, LOL. How long should my cue be if I am five foot three?? /ccboard/images/graemlins/confused.gifThinking of having Santa bring me a new one.
Gayle in Md. <hr /></blockquote>

IMO, a longer cue would not help unless you are cofortable using a longer bridge. I am 5'6 and like about a 10-12" bridge for most shots, 6-8 for certain ones like cb near the rail.

Laura

silverbullet
12-01-2002, 06:23 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Chris Cass:</font><hr> Hi Gayle,

Jimmy Reid has a formula for this but I don't think it's all that necessary. I think a 57" cue would be ok. However, I think Jimmy would say, if your 5'1" and under you'd need a 54" cue, weighing 17 oz. Now, 5'4" to 5'7" is a 56" cue and 17.5 oz. in weight.

Regards,

C.C.~~5'6" and my cue is 58 1/2" and weighs 19.75 oz. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif <hr /></blockquote>

5'6' Like a 19oz just fine. have tried, 17-20. 20 is a little heavy, 17 too light. like 18 ok or 19. not real picky as long as the cue is balanced well etc...i like a standard length cue just fine or an inch longer but also like a long bridge for now.

Laura

TomBrooklyn
12-01-2002, 06:31 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Sid_Vicious:</font><hr> the pokey stroke used in 1-pocket is unique and much different to the most, if not all other pocket billiard games. <hr /></blockquote>I have only seen 1P played once around here, and that was a game I started and the first time I played it. I wasn't aware that the one pocket stroke was 'pokey'. Why should that be?

Scott Lee
12-01-2002, 08:52 PM
Tom...I have to disagree with sid on this one. IMO, if someone actually "knows" what a stroke is, and has perfected that to the point where it is basically automatic, they will use that "stroke" for any and all pool games, regardless of what game is being played. Just as a stroke is a stroke...a poke is a poke! Pokes are NO GOOD! LOL JMO

Scott Lee

12-02-2002, 04:23 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Scott Lee:</font><hr> Tom...I have to disagree with sid on this one. IMO, if someone actually "knows" what a stroke is, and has perfected that to the point where it is basically automatic, they will use that "stroke" for any and all pool games, regardless of what game is being played. Just as a stroke is a stroke...a poke is a poke! Pokes are NO GOOD! LOL JMO

I think so also. Even if you are just nudging the cueball up against some balls, ever so softly, it should be a stroke.. complete with a small follow through, staying down on the shot, and everything. A poke is simply that: you POKE at the cueball, not through the cueball, and your tip doesn't go ALONG with the cueball, it goes AT the cueball. I've seen some wonderful players playing one-p, and even their super soft hits are elegant.

silverbullet
12-02-2002, 06:23 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Seattle-kid:</font><hr> <blockquote><font class="small">Quote Scott Lee:</font><hr> Tom...I have to disagree with sid on this one. IMO, if someone actually "knows" what a stroke is, and has perfected that to the point where it is basically automatic, they will use that "stroke" for any and all pool games, regardless of what game is being played. Just as a stroke is a stroke...a poke is a poke! Pokes are NO GOOD! LOL JMO

I think so also. Even if you are just nudging the cueball up against some balls, ever so softly, it should be a stroke.. complete with a small follow through, staying down on the shot, and everything. A poke is simply that: you POKE at the cueball, not through the cueball, and your tip doesn't go ALONG with the cueball, it goes AT the cueball. I've seen some wonderful players playing one-p, and even their super soft hits are elegant. <hr /></blockquote>

I dont think I poke, unless it is when I am trying to get the cb to go 2 inches for super finess. Randy g can make it go one inch so he is bettern me. LOL

Laura

#### leonard
12-02-2002, 06:50 AM
Here is my take on the cue and grip. In golf you have 14 clubs and a putter and in pool you have a cue that has to do all that the 15 clubs in golf do. Power shots need length and finesse shots need shorter strokes and touch. Touch needs plenty of practice so get to work.####

#### leonard
12-02-2002, 10:37 AM
Gayle women can get away with wearing high heel boots that add a couple of inches in height. Joe Canton my mentor was 5ft2 and would wear shoes with a 2 inch rubber sole. The trouble with that is they didn't go well with Tuxedos.####

Barbara
12-02-2002, 03:34 PM
Chris,

You're all right playing with a 58 1/2" cue?? I play with a 59 1/2" cue and I was thinking today that if I were to get another cue I might make it 59", maybe 58".

Barbara~~~and it would be a lot like the 8-pointer she saw today... /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

EZMark
12-02-2002, 10:49 PM
SCOTT YOU GOT YOUR GAME 8 TO 2. YOU PLAY ONE HANDED, LEFT HANDED, AND SHOOT BETWEEN YOUR LEGS AND I GET THE BREAK EZMark /ccboard/images/graemlins/mad.gif

Chris Cass
12-02-2002, 11:12 PM
Hi Scott,

There's a lot of players that describe a one pocket stroke this way or describes the play as pokey. Basically after playing this game for about a yr. I guess? I describe the stroke as being a lag stroke. IMO

I for one am not good with words. Although, I can be creative and make up my own, once in awhile. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Regards,

C.C.

Chris Cass
12-02-2002, 11:15 PM
BW,

I'd be willing to bet RandyG. and Scott can nudge a ball less then 1/8th without a poke but a stroke. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Regards,

C.C.~~me too... /ccboard/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Chris Cass
12-02-2002, 11:25 PM
Hi Barbara,

Yep, 58 1/2" cue and 19 3/4 oz. is what I've been playing with for 13 yrs. Before that it was a 58" cue 19 1/2 oz. 8 yrs. Before that, it was 58" and 19 oz. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif I've grown. HAHHAHAHAHA 8 points won't make you play better but it will bring out your looks. /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif There's nothing prettier than points. The kind that are sharp. That's old school....

Regards,

C.C.~~Barbara, you flatter any cue. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Scott Lee
12-03-2002, 01:46 AM
Mark...LOL! Make it RIGHT-handed, and I get to stand on a stepstool, and ya got a game! LMAO See ya in the spring!
Now wouldn't that make for a SILLY video?

Scott

Scott Lee
12-03-2002, 01:52 AM
Chris...A lag is a soft stroke. Slow backswing, slow forward swing...but with a normal backswing and normal followthrough. When you "poke" the CB, generally the tip stops at impact, with little or no followthrough... definitely a no no in my book! I KNOW you know what a stroke is...I have seen it firsthand!...and brother it is SWEET! LOL

Scott

#### leonard
12-03-2002, 07:49 AM
Scott here is a no follow thru shot that comes up playing safety in straight pool but probably has value in any refereed game of pool. This shot was played by Andrew Ponzi in a tournament. His cueball was within a 1/2 of the objet ball he was going to play safe off. If he followed thru he would foul the cueball on the follow thru. He measured the back of the rail to the cueball by putting the tip next to the cueball and putting his stroking hand on the side of the rail the he hit the cueball and his hand stopped at the rail and no foul, of course the old tables had T rails which made this shot easy/ It would be much harder with the curved GC rails. ####

Wally_in_Cincy
12-03-2002, 09:31 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Seattle-kid:</font><hr>

Ok, a while ago, either Tom or Wally from Cincy said that a person told them that holding farther back on the cue would make you better in the long run..
<hr /></blockquote>

Just to clarify, that advice never came from me. I would not be presumptuous enough to tell anyone that. Plus I think it's bad advice.

SK, I know it was just a memory lapse (I have a lot of those /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif ), I just wanted to set the record straight.

P.S. I doubt very much Tom would offer that advice either but I'll let him speak for himself.

Scott Lee
12-07-2002, 02:27 AM
Dick...Willie Jopling showed me that shot many years ago!
Like you said, it is a specialty shot. MOST shots will utilize a followthrough of some degree.

Scott