PDA

View Full Version : Fewer posts with new system?

jjinfla
11-29-2002, 07:27 AM
Do you find that you are posting less now with the sign in requirement? I know that I go to the posts first and most of the time don't post anything becasue I don't feel like going back to sign in. But most of the time I just scan the topics and don't bother to read them. It's just the same people posting the same stuff over and over. It seems that everything that can be said about pool has been said. And when new people come on they just bring up the old topics again. And every couple of weeks we get the shills for Predator looking for a free ad. Jake

Kato
11-29-2002, 07:36 AM
Jake, since registering I haven't had to sign in 1 time on either of the computers I use. I am however posting less for reasons unknown to me.

Kato

Alfie
11-29-2002, 08:07 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote jjinfla:</font><hr> It's just the same people posting the same stuff over and over. It seems that everything that can be said about pool has been said. And when new people come on they just bring up the old topics again. <hr /></blockquote> My own posting rate is less than expected due to the unforeseen problem of my getting tired of my own bullshit.

jjinfla
11-29-2002, 09:11 AM
You took the words right out of my mouth Alfie. Many times I type up an answer to a post and when I reread it I just think that nobody needs to read that BS so I just delete it. And the board is better off. Jake

stickman
11-29-2002, 09:16 AM
You might already know this, but just in case you don't, if you check the box: "remember me on each visit", and return on the same computer, you will not need to relog.

nAz
11-29-2002, 11:08 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote jjinfla:</font><hr> You took the words right out of my mouth Alfie. Many times I type up an answer to a post and when I reread it I just think that nobody needs to read that BS so I just delete it. And the board is better off. Jake <hr /></blockquote>

thats funny i have been there too.
seems to me that the anony post were more intresting lol. /ccboard/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

SPetty
11-30-2002, 11:25 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote stickman:</font><hr> if you check the box: "remember me on each visit", and return on the same computer, you will not need to relog. <hr /></blockquote>Hi Stickman,

Would you please be *real* specific with this? I've looked for this since someone mentioned it before, and it doesn't seem to be an option for me that I can find... I, too, am plagued with the hardship of having to log in all the time.

Thanks!

11-30-2002, 11:51 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote SPetty:</font><hr> <blockquote><font class="small">Quote stickman:</font><hr> if you check the box: "remember me on each visit", and return on the same computer, you will not need to relog. <hr /></blockquote>Hi Stickman,

Would you please be *real* specific with this? I've looked for this since someone mentioned it before, and it doesn't seem to be an option for me that I can find... I, too, am plagued with the hardship of having to log in all the time.

Thanks! <hr /></blockquote>

got curious and went looking for it myself.

when you log-in, on the page that has the username and password, it's a box just below the password. turns out i had not checked that myself. have now.

anyway, if you just don't use the "logout" then you acan jump to another site, do whatever, turn off the machine, reboot, whatever, and when you come back here you're still logged on and don't have to mess with it.

dan...works for me.

Nostroke
11-30-2002, 03:58 PM
I have to agree with you Jake. There are only so many things you can say about pool unless you get into minutia or "current events" Even the magazines rehash the same old stuff after a while. That more than anything else is the reason so many eventually get tired of this place IMHO. It does seem extra boring lately though.

My all time favorite rehash though is the article that appears in your local newspaper after the opening of every new pool room which invariably will start as follows

" -------- 's Pool and Billiard Club is not the dingy smoke-filled room of your father's era where unsavory characters .....blah, blah..In todays billiard centers, you're just as likely to find a couple enjoying Steak Tar Tar as ...blah blah blah"

I began reading this article in the late 60's and it probably started before then. I get a kick out of it every time and the fact that they keep writing it tells me maybe things havent really changed all that much.

Vapros
11-30-2002, 06:44 PM
I'm posting less, but I'm having no trouble with signing in. I believe interesting pool topics have been in short supply lately, and I intend to abstain when I don't really have anything to say.

Not everyone is posting less. Recently, one poster appeared so many times I made a count. 58 posts on the first screen for pool topics and 22 posts on the first screen for non-pool topics, all by this one individual. I think this has motivated me to use a little extra restraint.

jjinfla
12-01-2002, 06:23 AM
Hi Stickman,

It's amazing how one can read something and not really see what is right there in front of him. Meaning how I didn't see the "remember me" box on sign in. We only see what we want to see. Thanks, Jake /ccboard/images/graemlins/blush.gif

Ludba
12-01-2002, 01:36 PM
I've been posting more actually, though it probably has nothing to do with the change in format.

TomBrooklyn
12-01-2002, 03:25 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote jjinfla:</font><hr>It seems that everything that can be said about pool has been said.<hr /></blockquote>Well, it's like a director of the US Patents Office once said, his name escapes me now, "Everything that can possibly be invented has already been invented." The date was around 1900. t

TomBrooklyn
12-01-2002, 03:38 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote nAz:</font><hr>seems to me that the anony post were more interesting lol.<hr /></blockquote>Some of them were. This may be because sometimes some people are more willing to express sharply or controversial viewpoints if they can immunize themselves from potential dissent or criticism.

Interestingly, after IP addresses were dropped, about a third of the anonymi posts were from the regular posters who are still here. Many of their posts were worthy but remain unattributed because they were unwilling to accept credit for them up front.

Popcorn
12-01-2002, 04:44 PM
That famous quote is actually a myth, evidenced by the over three thousands patents that were applied for in 1899 alone when it is supposed to have been made. From the mid 1800s to the turn of the century so many patents were applied for and granted, it is inconceivable such a statement could ever have been made.

TomBrooklyn
12-01-2002, 07:22 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Vapros:</font><hr> Recently, one poster appeared so many times I made a count. 58 posts for pool topics and 22 posts for non-pool topics<hr /></blockquote>It was nice when we had a top ten list to immediately quantify that stuff. Unlike the recent top ten of total posts which we don't need anymore it was top ten posters as a quantity and percentage of the last 300 posts. 500 would be more appropriate now.

TomBrooklyn
12-01-2002, 07:32 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Popcorn:</font><hr> That famous quote is actually a myth, evidenced by the over three thousands patents that were applied for in 1899 alone <hr /></blockquote>Your logic is based on circumstances, Popcorn, and proves nothing about what the Director did or didn't say. I think the Director was well aware that more patents would be appled for and likely issued, but he essentially lacked the vision to comprehend that there was much of significance that wasn't already discovered.

To put this in perspective, one might considerer that prior to the industrial revolution that began in the late 1800s, science and technology had advanced at a snails pace for the previous 2000 years.

rackmup
12-01-2002, 07:44 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote So-Called "Famous Quote":</font><hr>Well, it's like a director of the US Patents Office once said, his name escapes me now, "Everything that can possibly be invented has already been invented."<hr /></blockquote>

This is not what was actually said.

My Great-Grandfather had a sister who had a nephew who knew a guy that worked at a soda fountain across from the church where the "Director" once bought an old toaster at a yard sale who actually knows someone who overheard someone talking about a guy who worked in the Patent Office mail room who knew a girl who dated the guy at the soda fountain who happened to be the best friend of a girl who was a baby sitter for the Director, heard the Director say:

"Everything that can be vented has already been vented and I have no possible idea of how to make the fart smell in the restroom go away or smell any better."

Two years later, the Director (Oswald Glade) invented the aerosol air freshener that we know today.

Funny how that worked out, huh?

Regards,

Ken (okay...I'll get off the computer)

Alfie
12-02-2002, 02:01 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote TB:</font><hr> Well, it's like a director of the US Patents Office once said, his name escapes me now, "Everything that can possibly be invented has already been invented." The date was around 1900. <hr /></blockquote>
http://www.ideafinder.com/resource/archives/wow-duell.htm

Popcorn
12-02-2002, 08:13 AM
Believe what you wish.

TomBrooklyn
12-02-2002, 09:07 AM
OK, OK, change the whole thing to: Patent Office Commissioner Henry Ellsworth reported to Congress in 1843 that "The advancement of the arts...seems to presage the arrival of that period when human improvement must end." Not very pithy and it doesn't have a ring to it, though.

Why did I bring this up in the first place? Now I can't remember. Oh yea, OK, I had to go back and look.

-T