PDA

View Full Version : Shooting into a "blind" pocket

Kato
11-29-2002, 09:17 AM
A microcosim of what happened to me last night was me missing about 10 four foot blind pocket back cuts. For some reason I miss these shots over and over and over again. Of course I realize that what I really need to do is practice this shot 1,000 times until I get it right but my word is it incredibly annoying to just drive the object ball into the rail.

Why can't I see the spot on the object ball to hit?

Kato~~~was ready to swear off pool last night until I went to the restroom and found out the Southeastern Amatuer Tour has expanded and 25 new stops were added in South Florida including twice in my home room. Time to practice.

Popcorn
11-29-2002, 09:22 AM
What is the Southeastern Amatuer Tour?

Kato
11-29-2002, 09:39 AM
The Southeastern Amatuer Tour is a tour for amatuers that was from Orlando to Georgia. I went up to Mount Dora to play at the tournament in Fat Cats and asked the people that ran the tour to look into getting them in South Florida. The tournaments are $30 to enter and tour cards cost $25 (or something like that) one time payment for the year. If you chose not to join it's $30 plus $20 non-member. If you play pro or regional tours you are not eligeable or if you play pool for a living. The only way you can play and you don't have a job is if you are a student. The tournament director is well within his rights to turn down anybody from playing. If need be he will ask you to supply a paystub to prove yourself. There will be something like 25 stops from Miami to Boyton Beach (10 or so stops within 30 minutes of home).

First place for the tournament I played in was $800 or so.

Kato

WesK
11-29-2002, 10:13 AM
First of all, I got our message. Thanks.

You mentioned that you had changed tips. I could be that you are getting a lot more english on the ball and don't realize it. This would cause you to throw balls quite a bit more. Especially on the thinner cuts.

Do you notice that your missed shots tend to go short or long or tendencies when cut left vs right?

Anyway, take care and I hope that you had a great turkey-day too.

wes

Kato
11-29-2002, 10:25 AM
Thanks Wes, I didn't notice long or short but was making tons of adjustments, I'm leaning to over cutting it because I kept complaining that I was driving it into a rail. It also seems when I change tips it takes me a while to get used to it. I'll check on that when I get home tonight. I'm probably gonna shoot that back cut for a couple of hours, various speeds and english.

Thanks for the tips again Wes. Tell Trammy the South Florida Connection says hi and tell her to call me so Voodoo and I can hook up with her.

Kato

Tom_In_Cincy
11-29-2002, 10:26 AM
RJ,
Backcuts into "blind" pockets are not that easy to begin with.
But, if you keep slamming yourself for not being able to make that shot, you never will.
I am going to suggest using the ghost ball aiming system on the backward blind pocket shots. Don't look at a spot on the OB look at a spot on the table that the CB needs to be as it contacts the OB.
Good luck

Kato
11-29-2002, 10:40 AM
I figured on going to the ghost ball on that shot Tom. Wes made a good point to. The way I'm describing it to myself is I'm not able to see the contact point. I'm not sure if that's valid or not. That shot, being one that I'mve never been comfy with is not one a practice. Guess it's time to make it my favorite shot.

Kato

rackmup
11-29-2002, 10:54 AM
Kato,

I can help you with this. Do not take my word for it. Ask OnePocketChamp about my cutting abilities.

Please send immediately:

One round-trip plane ticket from DFW to Florida.

Confirm and prepay for accommodations at Pier 66 in Ft. Lauderdale for 1 week.

Reservations at any well-known, 4-5 Star Seafood restaurant in South Beach for each night of my stay.

Rental car (convertible preferred) for the week.

In no time, I'll have you slicing shots thinner than the Iron Chef making Raspberry Pureed Lobster Onion Vinaigrette Tofu Wafers served with thinly sliced Peruvian Onion Crepes.

Regards,

Ken

Jim Walker
11-29-2002, 11:12 AM
Kato, does that mean that us old retired folks can't play in the SE Amatuer? I was planning to try it out next year (but I don't get pay stubs any more).
Jim Walker

Chris Cass
11-29-2002, 11:30 AM
Hi Kato,

Most instructors would have you start with a less degree cut and work your way out till the back cuts in the blind. That's not a bad idea either. It's a good way to go.

Tom and others hit on some points that are extremely crutial. Myself? I suggest you look for the angle and forget the spot on the ob for a few cuts. Stand more upright if possible and see what's going on. I also would have you drill the less angle, on outward too. Maybe, 50 on each side of the table with 5 balls working your way out to the blind. IMO

Regards,

C.C.~~likes Kato /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Kato
11-29-2002, 11:32 AM
I would believe that old retired (non-former pros not included) folks can play. Uncle Sam probably sends you something right?

Kato

Kato
11-29-2002, 11:37 AM
Is that all it will cost me? I'll have to consult my crack team of accountants to see how much cash I have.

Pier 66. The Home of $7 drinks.

Kato

rackmup
11-29-2002, 11:50 AM
You could always show your AARP membership card...or claim to be Kato's Uncle.

Yeah...that's the ticket.

Regards,

Ken (Kato's much younger brother)

Kato
11-29-2002, 12:03 PM
You do realize that although I am friends with a local legend, Steve Ferraro aka Voodoo Daddy, just knowing me doesn't pull you any weight or get you any favors?

Kato~~~ /ccboard/images/graemlins/mad.gifnot necessarily the most popular guy in the pool room /ccboard/images/graemlins/frown.gif

Scott Lee
11-29-2002, 12:31 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Kato:</font><hr> I'll have to consult my crack team of accountants to see how much cash I have.

Kato <hr /></blockquote>

Kato...Your accountants are on crack?...or you have accountants to keep track of your "crack" profits? LOL

Scott ~ stays away from that "crack" stuff!

Kato
11-29-2002, 12:37 PM
I'm not sure what my accountants do other than keep me broke. Think I'll sick my crack staff of attorneys on them. Problem is that not one of them can make a cut shot.

Kato

Scott Lee
11-29-2002, 12:40 PM
RJ...Geez! Crack accountants, and now crack attorneys! You guys sure have a bad "crack" problem down there! Even if they can't make a cut shot, maybe they can "crack" a book! LOLOL

Scott

Rod
11-29-2002, 01:37 PM
Hi Kato,
Wes made a good point, you need to know which side of the pocket you tend to miss the shot. Without knowing that you won't have a clue how to adjust. As CC mentioned a little more upright might help. Also as mentioned mark your spots c/b and o/b, set up 30%, 45%, and 60% appx angles to help get a "feel" for aim on each. A method I like especially if you tend to hit them fat, start your aim from the outside in. As an example, on a 60% cut your aim will be to barely miss or brush the ball. Adjust in to the correct contact point. This gives you 1 direction for compensation as opposed to aiming at the ball and adjusting either direction. For practice stay with center ball and aim a tiny bit on the thin side to adjust for contact induced throw.
Remember those are tough shots so any body/head/hand or arm twitch movements can spell disaster.

~~~ rod knows Kato can make these, otherwise how can you give me the 6 ball /ccboard/images/graemlins/wink.gif

smfsrca
11-29-2002, 03:18 PM
I would suggest spending time just practicing thin hits so you know with certainty how thin you can hit at various distances, speeds and strokes. Once you know this your back cuts will become less of a challenge.
Steve

Chris Cass
11-30-2002, 12:56 AM
WOW, all the replies seem to be the same with small differences. There comes a time when a cut turns into a bank. Yet, still another way of looking at things.

JAT,

C.C.~~ /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Tom_In_Cincy
11-30-2002, 10:17 AM
CC,

Cuts turning into Banks.. now that's a true "Blind Pocket" shot.

Ever hear the line, "I would rather cut the ball in, rather than bank it" ? or the reverse?

Its nice to be able to do both, and have a choice for shape.

Chris Cass
11-30-2002, 08:11 PM
Hi Tom,

I seem to hear, "That's my favorite shot!" It's mostly me saying it though. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Regards,

C.C.

Voodoo Daddy
12-01-2002, 07:55 AM
My brother...I will teach you the "clock" for cutting balls. Its alomost fool proof &lt;which means this fools /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif can do it&gt;. You can learn it while the NY girls are here or right after...although I will not be attending the DERBY due to a certain redheaded woman in Tx /ccboard/images/graemlins/blush.gif, there is no reason why you cant take the "clock" with you and beat someone with it!!

cheesemouse
12-01-2002, 10:06 AM
Kato,
What is a 'blind pocket' shot???????

Fred Agnir
12-02-2002, 09:53 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Kato:</font><hr> A microcosim of what happened to me last night was me missing about 10 four foot blind pocket back cuts. For some reason I miss these shots over and over and over again. Of course I realize that what I really need to do is practice this shot 1,000 times until I get it right but my word is it incredibly annoying to just drive the object ball into the rail.

Why can't I see the spot on the object ball to hit?

<hr /></blockquote>
The backward cut is a tough one. If all else fails, stick-aim it and see what happens. Aim the inside edge of your cuestick to the contact point of the object ball. No english. If it works, good for you. If it doesn't, drop it.

Fred