PDA

View Full Version : Mental Strategies when Potting that Game Ball

bigbro6060
11-29-2002, 11:42 AM
Whether it's the 9Ball in 9Ball or the 8ball in 8ball

you know, when you've got a pot, it's a bit of a tester but well within your capabilities

I try to think of the pot as just any other pot but i do like to take just that little bit extra time. Not too much though or i find myself second guessing aiming lines etc

i try to picture myself stroking on the practice table, trying to tell myself the shot is no big deal

in practice i actually have worked out a shot speed for that final ball which will work for most shots. In the past i have find myself not hitting the last ball hard enough and falling victim to bad rolls and cr*p on the table. at the same time i don't want to shoot too hard because that narrows the pocket so i've use a nice steady firm stroke. If i need to avoid a scratch then in almost all cases i will use draw to avoid it. Just little things but things set in place so i know how to approach that last shot with consistency

OnePocketChamp
11-29-2002, 03:06 PM
The only aspect of my shot routine a make on the game ball is I ALWAYS hold my follow thru position until I see the ball roll into the pocket. This ensures that I stay down on the shot with my head steady though the shot. And I never ever smoke pot prior to that shot.

11-29-2002, 11:37 PM
I do not try to think of too many things when I shoot the money ball. It break my focus. I play the same way I have been,except before I address the CB I remind myself to relax and focus on a smooth stroke.
Jack

Chris Cass
11-30-2002, 12:35 AM
Well,

I never get to shoot the last shot. Everybody always give them to me. Sometimes they ask, "are you out?" I say, "yep."

Well, when I'm on the last ball or the first ball. It doesn't matter. Now, if the money ball is tough? I make sure I lock, pause and make sure I'm perfectly still, then just make it. To me, if I get to the money you'd better believe that I can shoot it with my eyes closed.

Best pot, I mean Best Regards,

C.C.~~HAHAHAHA

11-30-2002, 01:44 AM
one thing which is often advised and seems to have some real value is to shoot position on that last shot, same as you would any other. usually, we just shoot to make sure to avoid scratching it. pick an exact spot for the cb.

dan

smfsrca
11-30-2002, 10:18 AM
This is the choke. It is an emotional response to fear. Your mechanics are probably fine, after all, the've gotten you this far. This is more of an emotional challenge. The more you care, the more it is likely to happen. You overcome it by being agressive, calm, confident. Step up to your shot with great authority, say to yourself "God! I love this game!", calmly take a deep breath get down on your shot and do it!
Steve

phil in sofla
12-03-2002, 05:22 PM
I do two things.

1st, I get an aim line to the 'overcut' side of the pocket, in case the object ball skids, which would normally cause an undercut miss. That gives me 2-1/4 inches or so room to miss on the other side of the pocket from any collision induced throw undercut, and still make the ball.

2nd, I decide if I need to leave my man bad (long, whatever) if I'm so-so to make the shot, or whether I'm better off hanging the ball if I miss (as in 8-ball, when the opponent isn't on the 8). Then I play the speed and leave as appropriate to the situation.