View Full Version : Do you Practice Trick Shots

bigbro6060
11-29-2002, 12:17 PM
i personally have no time for them. i prefer to work on my game

i have a friend who spends half his time on trick shots

goes without saying that i am improving heaps faster than he is

Scott Lee
11-29-2002, 12:37 PM
bigbro...Actually, there are fundamental concepts that are incorporated into many trickshots that are very beneficial to understanding things like kisses, caroms, and how english on the CB is affected after contact with rails.
I wouldn't spend half my time on them, but there is value there!

Scott Lee

smfsrca
11-29-2002, 02:52 PM
I agree with Scott here. Trick shots which are considered stroke shots allow you to practice at the limits of your stroking ability. Swerve , masse', force follow, jump draw, etc. are skills used in many trick shots. You can practice these skills by themselves. Practicing them with trick shots just gives you more purpose and direction so maybe you will focus a little better during your practice.
Setup shots are not as beneficial but do allow you to practice and reinforce your understanding of reading caroms and banks.
Steve

11-29-2002, 04:37 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote bigbro6060:</font><hr> i personally have no time for them. i prefer to work on my game

i have a friend who spends half his time on trick shots

goes without saying that i am improving heaps faster than he is <hr /></blockquote>

Funny you ask.

A week ago, a friend I play with at the pool hall taught me how to REALLY masse the ball. Before I could barely even get it to curve around a ball.

last night I was getting drunk and practicing a masse shot that goes from the corner pocket, around the headspot and to the other corner pocket.

like this:

START(
%AD0O9%BE7P1%CG4O8%DI4O8%EK2O7%FL7O8%GD0Z7%PD3D4%e A1a6%bF0Y4
%cN8O6%dE2D9
)END

I couldn't believe I could actually do this shot, but it's not that hard if you don't mind ruining your felt for a few hours.. I need to get new felt anyways, so I thought it's a perfect opportunity to practice jump shots and masse shots.

I'll probably never use this in a game, but it's cool to show people when you are just hanging out socially. One that actually is helpful though is this one:

START(
%AD8Z9%PC9Y8%eB3b4%_F6Z1%`H6X2%aD6Y3

)END

it's not super hard to do. I usually use my leg as a brace for my cue, jack up to almost strait up and down, and hit it about halfway between the top of the cueball and the edge of it. Beware though, and don't do it on a table that someone wants to keep nice. Generally your cue stick will slam into the felt and cause large dents when you are first learning masse shots.

Popcorn
11-29-2002, 06:49 PM
I agree, I used to hang in a few action room with some of the best players on the planet at the time. We were always setting up shots and fooling around with different stuff. It can be a real learning experience. Sometimes coming up with something that may have never been done before. I do a lot of one pocket trick shots, you know where you say something like 'He needs 1 and I need all the balls and I win from here." Players even like that kind of stuff. The game is supposed to be fun and all the top players have a bunch of shots they can to do at a moments notice. They do need practice though, even the setups. I remember Lassiter saying he did not like to do exhibitions because nobody wants to watch you run balls, they want the set up shots. If the exhibition was not to have an actual match, he would not do it. The best setup shot shooter I even saw was Caras, even better then Mosconi. When Caras set them up, they always went. Mosconi always had to have something snappy to say for when they missed. He would miss a lot of them.

Scott Lee
11-29-2002, 10:05 PM
Popcorn...Not to take nothing away from Caras or Mosconi, ALL of us miss shots...even setups!...Even Massey misses, not often, but he misses too! The key is in being able to adjust the shot so that it goes on the 2nd try! With me, doing exhibitions on every manner of beastly tables from pristine to atrocious, I have to be able to adjust the shot to the table. Sometimes, even after I have set up shots, the rise in temperature in the room from the crowd can change the conditions so that a shot that WAS on, now no longer is! I have also set up shots, and then played a couple dozen games and had my "spots" go away, so that the shots aren't even THERE anymore! LOL That's why I also have some "snappy comebacks" when shots don't go on the first try! Occasionally the table plays so poorly that I can't get a shot to go on the setup, and will leave it out of my routine.

I knew that about Wimpy! Jack White told me about an exhibition he did once at CIA HQ in Langley, VA, where he invited Wimpy to go with him. This was in the late 60's, right after he had won a world championship. Jack introduced him as the World Champ, and unbelievably, Wimpy could NOT make a shot! Jack covered for him by saying, "Ladies and gentlemen, look at this! The World Champ is missing on purpose, just to make me look good! Sit down sir!", and he continued on with his show! Later Wimpy told Jack that in front of that very large crowd of generals and spies, he had frozen up, and his arm felt like lead! Go figure! LOL

Scott Lee

11-30-2002, 02:47 PM
I do practice short distance masses, but I haven't got
close to mastering a half-table curve.

I actually played almost exactly the second shot you show
in an 8-ball tournament recently, but with the 8 ball at
the short rail. It's a lot easier than it looks because
the ball can hit the rail first, before the OB,
and still make it. That's what happened when I played the
shot.

It may not come up very often, and when it does, there are
not too many times that it's worth taking the risk,