PDA

View Full Version : One Pocket - Elegant or Ugly

smfsrca
11-29-2002, 02:36 PM
I have a bone to pick with unimaginative players who simply run balls down to the head of the table. When the game is played at the lower half of the table it is is elegant, interesting and a joy to play. When half or more of the ball are in the kitchen the game becomes downright ugly. Players spend an inordinate amount of time just just moving balls in and out of play. I can understand and appreciate an end game with 3 or 4 ball but half a rack or more - give me a break.
Those of you who are 1 hole players, do you concur, or am I off base here?

Steve in CA

OnePocketChamp
11-29-2002, 02:47 PM
In one hole you have to play the table as the balls and your opponents position dictate, this may mean rolling balls into the kitchen. Now the plus to this stragegy is the more patient player holds the advantage. The down side is the game certainly seems to drag on but of course it isn't 9 ball. The key is play your own game and try to maintain a superior position on the ball lay-out, pick your opportunities to be aggresive but above all control whitey.

Vapros
11-29-2002, 03:17 PM
Just running all the balls into the kitchen is a very conservative way to play one-pocket, because you are greatly reducing the chance that an error will result in your opponent running out. Of course, you won't either, but some players aren't likely to run out anyway, so we can forgive them for a cautious game plan. You resign yourself to a long game. I wouldn't call it ugly by any means, but not very exciting to watch.

On the other hand, it is a game of jockeying for position and strategy and defense, and if you're going to play to win, knocking balls away from the scoring area is the correct thing to do when protecting a lead.

Human nature dictates that any game is likely to seem ugly when one is losing. The guy winning doesn't see it that way.

Troy
11-29-2002, 03:28 PM
Depending on the situation, and the score, moving balls to the head of the table is the smart thing to do. To me there's nothing but beauty to having a long bank to my pocket, better yet is a 2-rail shot to my pocket. Don't forget to control the rock.

Troy

Tom_In_Cincy
11-29-2002, 05:13 PM
smfsrca,

I understand your opinion and have seen this happen many times. Even at the Derby City Classic, some of pros will use this ploy when its available.

This is just as much a part of the game as any other ploy. It would be very benificial if you could accept this and embrace it. Your emotions will be under control when it happens.

Remember, if you have to play a ball down table... try to put it on your pocket side of the headstring, so if your opponent scrates, you have a straight in shot. If you can't do this.. at least try to block your opponent's one rail bank with balls behind the headstring on his side of the table.

Ball positioning is very important when playing during this situation.

HOWARD
11-29-2002, 05:37 PM
One pocket being the varied game that it is will have both
styles of play. If one is great bank player from the short rails - or two rails or three rails then the version of one hole you call ugly - may be the very thing that player wants to play.

Lord help you if a players finds out this style of play bugs you because this is he style you will find all night.

To be blunt about it I would rather win on what you call "ugly" than lose on what you call "elegant".

11-29-2002, 06:36 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote smfsrca:</font><hr> I have a bone to pick with unimaginative players who simply run balls down to the head of the table. When the game is played at the lower half of the table it is is elegant, interesting and a joy to play. When half or more of the ball are in the kitchen the game becomes downright ugly. Steve in CA <hr /></blockquote>

sounds like the classic ying and yang of shotmaker vs strategist. if you're really a lot better shotmaker then you might want to keep the game in the lower part of the table. i do think that beyond a certain level, just about everyone plays against the possibility of the other guy getting more than maybe one ball and that leads to pretty conservative play. that "boring" stuff can really advance your short game for safeties ect. in 8 or 9-ball.

dan

Chris Cass
11-29-2002, 07:59 PM
Hi Smfsrca,

I don't care what I have to do to win. I don't know about anyone else but if winning for me means push the balls up table then, so be it. I play aggressive and I play to win. Ugly? There's nothing more ugly than missing one shot and your opponent drills you a new, well you know what I mean. LOL

Regards,

C.C.~~thinks no part one one hole is ugly, except your opponent... /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

dddd
11-30-2002, 08:17 AM
my thoughts are:
the player in question is a "new" player without the confidence or knowledge to allow them to play the game with the beauty you speak of. they move uptable simply because it is all they see, the simple response to a difficult game.

perhaps the player in question moves them to tangle up the uptable banking lanes, which i would do to provide relief from his having balls in playable banking position, allowing me greater room to place the q on his side of the table.

perhaps this player believes he banks better, or plays the late game better than his opponent?

Jay M
11-30-2002, 10:28 AM
Heh, Voodoo Daddy can tell you some horror stories about 1 pocket. The one I remember the most vividly was Nick Varner against Ray Martin. Race to 4, 6 hours later Varner won on the hill. It seemed like every time I looked at those two playing, all 15 balls were in the kitchen.

Jay M

smfsrca
11-30-2002, 11:51 AM
Come on you guys! I thought one pocket was a love/hate kind of game. Where is your passion? Most of your responses are text book, dull and boring (With the possible exception of Chris Cass). Oh, I see, you must actually be one pocket players. Grrrrr!!!
I already know all of the text book stuff. I want to know what pisses you off or pleases you about the game.
Steve

11-30-2002, 11:55 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote smfsrca:</font><hr> Come on you guys! I thought one pocket was a love/hate kind of game. Where is your passion? Most of your responses are text book, dull and boring (With the possible exception of Chris Cass). Oh, I see, you must actually be one pocket players. Grrrrr!!!
I already know all of the text book stuff. I want to know what pisses you off or pleases you about the game.
Steve <hr /></blockquote>

well, since you ask and if you must know...what i most enjoy is coming up against a shooter like you seem to be and torturing them till they do something real exciting.

dan

Tom_In_Cincy
11-30-2002, 01:07 PM
smfsrca
So you want the pool detective version on everyone?

Nothing pisses me off anymore about one pocket. I really like it when my opponents start to get pissed. It makes me bear down a little.. it even makes them put more pressure on their game than normal.

Either way, I like the game more than 8 or 9 ball. But my favorite is 14.1

Chris Cass
12-01-2002, 11:42 AM
HAHAHAHHAHA Don't hold back Dan. LMAO

C.C.

Chris Cass
12-01-2002, 12:03 PM
Hi Smfsrca,

So, you want me to knock myself? Sure, why not. It ticks me off when my opponent pulls some crap like this:

1) gets 15 phone calls during the same game.
2) goes out for a tune up and leaves me there waiting for him to shoot.
3) drunks walking from the bar to the head that always seem to have some stupid a$$ comment to say, while they walk by.
4) my opponent doesn't hit a rail and fouls, claiming he hit the rail.
5) when my opponent trys to distract my focus when I'm down on the shot by asking if the score is right or some other dumb shark stuff.
6) when my opponent acts like a pig and then, says "Excuse me." Like he really cares.
7) when my opponent slaps his leg, like he's left me a shot. it's all a move because that's the shot he wants me to take. it's sooo plastic.
8) when my opponent takes 5 minutes to take a shot then, still has powder all over the place.
9) when, I'm trying to play and there's kids running up and down the ph.
10) when, I win after playing 6 hrs and my opponent says, "You got lucky."

I would go on but this list will never end. LOL I try to keep a calmness and let the game take it's course. It's easy to fall into traps. The best way is to, accept everything as a reason just to kick their butt.

Regards,

C.C.

John in NH
12-01-2002, 08:30 PM
Hi Steve,

Your right it can be a drag when both players are guilty of sending balls to the kitchen but if my opponent is doing it he/she is doing me a favor by taking their balls out of play it just makes it easier for me to control my end of the table.

Regards,

John