PDA

View Full Version : leveling a table ?

11-30-2002, 12:24 AM
I have a 3 piece slate brunswick table that I am assembling and have the frame together but haven't installed the slate. Should I level the frame first, then install & level the slate? I bought a machinists level and I want to get it perfect. Any suggestions?

Chris Cass
11-30-2002, 01:01 AM
Jeez Duane,

I sure wish I knew the correct response. I would contact a good table mechanic and ask a few questions. Myself, I would have to level the bed before putting in the slates. I dont believe you have to level slates?

Anyway, there's a certain glue to use also inbetween the slates too. It's better than bee's wax, plaster or bondo. Someone knows these answers. Hang in there someone will tell you something.

Regards,

C.C.

Ken
11-30-2002, 03:25 AM
Level the frame first. If it's an old table you should try to get the frame as flat as possible if some pieces of the wood have shrunk at different rates. There might be some change after the slates are put on and it is customary to use card stock such as playing cards to fine tune the slates. If you must you can use wooden shims. The less you have to do to the slate the better.

Liquid Dowel has been recommended to hold the seams in place. I don't know anything about it but Brady Berhman apparently can supply it. Beeswax or bondo work fine for dealing with irregularities in the surface.
KenCT