PDA

View Full Version : "Practice Cramming", Good Or Bad?

Sid_Vicious
11-30-2002, 09:04 AM
"Practice Cramming", Good Or Bad?

Is it your opinion that putting in several hours of pre-match practice is good or bad? Say for instance that you have a match the next day. Will you take the opportunity to get up early, brew a pot of coffee and hit the home table for an intense session of practice, or would you merely warm up as usual at game time? A college professor once told us the day before a big final, "Go out, get drunk, make love to your wife, make love to someone else's wife...just DON'T cram. You will end up forgetting the things know by honing in on worry spots." How do you feel as far as the general concept, and does it apply to pool? Thanks, sid

Chris Cass
11-30-2002, 09:14 AM
Hi Sid,

I don't feel the two are the same. I think practicing before a match the day before is good as long as you don't play with anyone. You might measure your performance according to the day before. If you make your practice session a 10 hr event you can also hurt yourself. This all depends on your regular schedule, IMO. It wouldn't hurt to clear your mind either. Some players need to take the day off prior to an event to keep their mind interested. If I do say 1000 straight-in shots I need to take a day off before the event. If I just practice with the ghost? I need none.

Regards,

C.C.

Popcorn
11-30-2002, 10:08 AM
It could be good or really bad. If it is just to stay sharp and you are currently in stroke, it can't hurt. If you are trying to get in stroke you could have a bad practice session and go into your match not feeling so good. Hard practice should be done days before a tournament. Just prier to the tournament just play to stay loose, no pressure. Same thing the day of the tournament. What ever is going to happen, is going to happen. Don't over do it just before the tournament, you can get yourself nuts. You should have a routine you do starting maybe a week before and leading up to a tournament to get ready. It should be something that can bring you to a peak at tournament time. Easier said then done, but it should be your goal. Peak performance can't be done day in and day out. It can be summoned though if you learn how.

Tom_In_Cincy
11-30-2002, 10:13 AM
Sid,
Preparation prior to a tournament, should be focused on your problem shots. Your regular practice routine should remain the same. The day before, I like to spend time on those shots that always give me the most trouble.. the 'inside english shots'

I don't spend too much time (maybe 2 hours) on my day before practice. If I'm not ready by then, cramming will only make it worse for me..

Rip
11-30-2002, 10:19 AM
The only part of the professor's advice I agree with is the "making love" part /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif
Rip /ccboard/images/graemlins/wink.gif

<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Sid_Vicious:</font><hr> "Practice Cramming", Good Or Bad?

A college professor once told us the day before a big final, "Go out, get drunk, make love to your wife, make love to someone else's wife...just DON'T cram. You will end up forgetting the things know by honing in on worry spots." How do you feel as far as the general concept, and does it apply to pool? Thanks, sid <hr /></blockquote>

Chris Cass
11-30-2002, 10:29 AM
Hi ya RIP,

I guess what ever you say is Souquet with me...LOL

Regards,

C.C.~~I know, don't quit the day job. Hey, that would be pool&gt;&gt; /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif