PDA

View Full Version : Gerda's article BD 12/2/02

nAz
11-30-2002, 02:15 PM
I was reading the article in this month issue on her when i found that there was missing text from p.45 to p.46 Hope BD will reprint what's missing.
Anyway anyone who reads it will see how difficult it can be to make a living in that sport, being ranked in the top 5 of the WPBA does not guarantee a easy living. it also shows you how much practice is required to play and stay at the top level.
i hope she can win a few more Classic tournys before she retires, which from what she has told me may be in the next few years.

Good luck to you @ NYU GForce!

Cueless Joey
11-30-2002, 11:54 PM
Sadly, she had to go back to school to earn her degree.
It's a loss for pool but Gerda's doing the right thing.

Ludba
12-01-2002, 01:12 AM
I think it sucks actually. Nothing against Gerda. She's gotta make her own decisions for what is best for her, and I can agree that it's hard to find the thing you love to do and do it for the rest of your life. Professional Pool is on shaky ground if one of its top players can't make a living doing it. The point is made clearer that pool needs to gain wider recognition as a legitimate spectator sport.

It will be another 5 years before I hit the pro circuits. I pray that pool organizations can make it a more viable profession. And I hope I can help in that process.

TomBrooklyn
12-01-2002, 06:37 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Cueless Joey:</font><hr> Sadly, she had to go back to school to earn her degree.<hr /></blockquote>I don't know if Gerda had to go to college, I think she wanted to. Why is it sad to go to college? Knowledge is a good thing and Gerda seems pleased and excited about doing it. Although, if you mean it's sad that she had to find a way to make money other than playing pro pool, then I understand. /ccboard/images/graemlins/blush.gif
-TB

Cueless Joey
12-02-2002, 01:37 AM
TB, you don't see the number 3 pro golfer going back to school b/c there is no money in golf, do you? /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif
It is sad due to the state of pool but good for her in the long run.

nAz
12-02-2002, 04:11 PM
I think she should get certified by BCA and then give lessons part time if she retires... like mosy players do /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif she can always charge 50+ an hour

Ludba
12-02-2002, 06:20 PM
I think she's already listed as an instructor on the BCA website.