PDA

View Full Version : Central Florida Pool Halls

John in NH
12-01-2002, 05:58 PM
I'm going to be in the Lakeland, Florida area in January and February of next year, am interested in any information regarding the following ph's, or any other you might know of. I enjoy competition and would like to participate in a few tournaments during my stay. I prefer tournaments over playing for money and would be willing to travel up to an hour away from Lakeland in order to participate. My favorite games are 9-ball, one pocket, bank pool, I have a 7 rating in the APA 9-ball league at home, have participated in a couple of B rated tournaments.

Thanks,

John

1. Wally's billiards in Lakeland?

2. Sharky's in Lakeland?

3. Family Billiards in Winter Haven?

4. Pro Billiards in Orlando?

5. Jimmy's Billiards in Orlando?

eg8r
12-01-2002, 06:17 PM
[ QUOTE ]
4. Pro Billiards in Orlando? <font color="red">This is the pool hall I played at when I lived there. They have 8 9'GC1 or GC2's, I cannot remember (they have ash trays on the corner pockets), a bunch of 8' tables in the back and two Billiard tables up front. They have 9ball tournaments there on Sunday, Monday and Thursday. Very smoky after around 8 PM though.</font color>

5. Jimmy's Billiards in Orlando? <font color="red">This is a pretty old pool hall in a not-so-great part of town but there are plenty of tables there. I don't remember the types of tables but the ones in the main room are kept up alright. They are not the best in town (the best is Pro Billiards). They have tournaments there but I do not remember the nights. The only negative thing I can think of is the location, it is a tough neighborhood.</font color><hr /></blockquote>If you were looking for action, either of these halls could give you all you want. I see you prefer tournaments so Pro is probably the better pool hall to go to. If you can get some "fun" games at Pro going, ask if Adam is playing (very tall) or Louis Viera, they are both excellent at 9ball and Adam is one of the best there at 1p. If you go in on week days around 4 to 6 then you have a good chance of catching Nick in there playing a little 1p.

I do not know the other pool halls mentioned, so I hope this helps. From Lakeland, both halls are easy to get to, if you need directions send me a PM. Also, if you go to Jimmy's, ask where Tommy Kennedy is playing they will probably know. Tommy is a great guy and he will play you anything you want, he is a very nice guy.

Another idea would be Planet 9ball (tampa). This hall has some great players. On any night you could find Buddy Hall (you know what he plays), Richie Rich (great 1p player but generally is a gambler, I am not sure you will get a "just for fun" game from him"), Richard Broumpton "strong 9 ball player", etc. There are no shortages of great players in the Tampa area. If you play Richie make sure he gives a good spot because this guy can really play.

eg8r &lt;~~~Wishes Pro Billiards had the tables shimmed like Billy Weirs

jjinfla
12-01-2002, 07:13 PM
If you are a 7 in APA then that means that you are anywhere between a very good player and a pro. All the guys that are mentioned above are pros, or semi-pros. (I will take Louis over Adam Wheeler in 1 pocket any day). If you are in Lakeland on the 1st saturday of the month you owe it to yourself to go to Fat Cats in Mount Dora and get in their tournament. $25 entry fee. A weak APA 7 is just there to donate and get experience. I have seen Nick Varner, Charlie Williams, Broumpton, Grossman, Scotty Townsend, Richie Richeson, Dan Lavoi (the former owner), Louis Viera (a regular), Adam Wheeler, Sarah Ellerby, Jeannie Seaver all play there. Race to 7 on the winner's side and a race to 5 on the loser's side. A great big parking lot outside and the neighborhood is pretty safe. Not sure if they start at 1 or 2 PM. Jake

eg8r
12-01-2002, 09:24 PM
[ QUOTE ]
(I will take Louis over Adam Wheeler in 1 pocket any day)<hr /></blockquote>I had no idea that Louis played 1p so well. I have only seen him play 9ball, and I really mean "play". In the tourneys on Thursday nights he has to give most people like the 5. The handicapping system there is balls not games, but it does not seem to bother him at all. I watched him play a buddy of mine (an 8 in pro billiards handicap) and Louis is a 12. Louis had to give him the last 5 and Louis creamed him 5-0 on the winners side and 3-0 on the losers side. My buddy only took 4 shots total between the two matches. One of the shots was a decent safety that Louis kicked out of. I guess he would be good at any of the games he plays because he is an all out shooter. The guy can pocket anything on the table and a lot of times he will let you choose the pocket. lol

eg8r

rackmup
12-02-2002, 08:29 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote eg8r:</font><hr>The guy can pocket anything on the table and a lot of times he will let you <font color="red">choose</font color> the pocket.<hr /></blockquote>

Imagine that...actually making a ball in an intended pocket!

Sorry Buddy, you set yourself up for that one!

Regards,

Ken (glad a table doesn't have more than six pockets when playing eg8r)

John in NH
12-02-2002, 10:20 AM
Hi eg8r,

Thanks for the information, I'll take your advice and try pro billiards first. Planet 9-ball in Tampa sounds like a good place to visit also, I'll add it to my list.

Regards,

John

John in NH
12-02-2002, 10:40 AM
Hi Jake,

A friend of mine lives in Mount Dora and I've been to the Mount Dora Country Club to play golf, never noticed fat cats while I was there though. I'll add fat cats to my early list of pool halls to try.

I don't know how I will measure up against the players that you mentioned in your reply, with my limited experience in competition but I'm told by my competitors at home that I am a strong 7.

Thanks for your input,

Regards,

John

Ken
12-02-2002, 11:16 AM
Tournament every Thurs. night at Planet nine-ball. See Doug around 7 P.M. and tell him you will be playing. Richie Richeson usually plays and a few other good players including Pogue. Race to 4 and handicapped so anyone can luck out and win (except yours truly-goes 2 and out). All afternoon play for $6 or $7, I think.
KenCT

John in NH
12-02-2002, 11:33 AM
Hi Ken,

Thursday would work well for me, sounds like a good time and very reasonable.

Thanks for your input,

Regards,

John

Ken
12-02-2002, 11:43 AM
$10 entry for the tournament and I think $50 added by Ken Miller, the owner. I don't think you'll beat that anywhere.

I should be there some time in February and will play there some.
KenCT