PDA

View Full Version : Update on CCB tournaments in Louisville next month

Scott Lee
12-01-2002, 09:18 PM
By now, with the DCC only a month away, most of you who are planning to go, should have made your plans by now. Several CCBrs have emailed or called me, asking about being "my partner" in the CCB tournament, after Tom posted about running a doubles event. Not that having me, or Tom, Chris Cass, or any other "better" player as your partner would give you an advantage...but to be completely fair, we have decided to make the 9-ball tournament blind draw scotch doubles. This gives everyone a fair chance to win, and nobody knows who will play with who until just before the tournament starts. As of now, we are limiting the 9-ball to 32, and the one-pocket to 16. 9-Ball will be double elimination (race length to be determined by the TD),
and one pocket will be single elimination, unless we only get 8 players. Entry fees are $30 per person, per event...
with $5 going to greens fees. Greg Sullivan has generously agreed to add a little extra $$$ to the pot, and I am soliciting additional sponsors.

What we would like to see from all of you is a show of hands on who plans to play! Tom had asked for emails, and has received none. A few posters mentioned that they plan to play. Please post here now, on this thread, so that we can go ahead with the planning, with a serious idea of who is or isn't going to play. The 9-ball event will Friday night (1/10), and the one pocket will be Saturday morning (1/11).

Scott Lee

Tom_In_Cincy
12-01-2002, 09:30 PM
I want to play in both..

Race2-9
12-01-2002, 10:05 PM
Scott; Count me in on the 9-ball. Look forward to putting some faces with the many monikers.

BLACKHEART
12-02-2002, 05:41 AM
Scott, fill me in a little. I haven't been following this thread & don't know what this is all about. THANKS...JER

silverbullet
12-02-2002, 05:57 AM
scott,

gosh, i wish i could come but that is the wrong weekend for me.it is a 8+ hr drive for me.

i would be no competition in 9 ball. i played once. i only won because i safetied the person until i had a run on the 6-9. when i play myself, it is 3-5 innings, so guess i would be 2 there too. i have to say, though, my nine ball break is okay, sometimes i even get something in?

well, scott, if you hear of any players who are 4's or less, i might just take a personal leave and come anyway...<G> unless you promise to give me a tournament tshirt for being the worst player <G>

Laura

silverbullet
12-02-2002, 06:08 AM
Seriously Tom, let me know what kind of players are coming.

I can usually manage a legal hit on a difficult shot, play safe, get position on the next ball if it is easy position, easy combos but not hard ones, forget banks, my masses (the cb goes out to go around ob but doesnt turn back in so obviously am doing it wrong), cant jump, when i am not nervous and am focus, am usually 70-80% on med cut shots but much worse on hard ones like 80-90degrees like one out of ten at best.

well thats about it plus total lack of experience with 9 ball cept for playing myself.

Laura

Kato
12-02-2002, 08:17 AM
I'll play in the 9-ball event Scott.

Laura, it doesn't matter how good you are. What matters is you step up and play.

Kato

sliprock
12-02-2002, 08:44 AM
My plans for Louisville are to be there for the Bank and one pocket tourny's. If I can squeeze away from work, I'll be there for the 9 Ball also. As for the CCB tourny, I hope to make it, but that decision will have to come later. I guess you can classify me as a definite maybe. /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Voodoo Daddy
12-02-2002, 10:07 AM
Wish I could go...but a man has his priorities... Good luck to all. I wanna pre-select my calcutta bid for Chris Cass and any partner he may have...except for Kato <them two will be throwing stuff at each other all damn day> HAHAHAHA!!

Kato
12-02-2002, 10:52 AM
Steve, you're not going now? Jeez Louise.

Kato

The Rhino Chaser
12-02-2002, 12:29 PM
I will be there for the nine ball event. Possibly the one pocket event but will not know until the week of DCC.

silverbullet
12-02-2002, 06:06 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Kato:</font><hr> I'll play in the 9-ball event Scott.

Laura, it doesn't matter how good you are. What matters is you step up and play.

Kato <hr /></blockquote>

In scotch doubles, can your partner tell you how to make a shot or is there a limit on coaching. Gosh, I will just keep reading and also see where our finances are by end on dec. Will have to put me as a maybe, scott but if someone else wants the slot before i say for sure, give it to them.

Were just trying to get caught up here and stash a little for scotts next visit to md &lt;g&gt;

Laura

Tom_In_Cincy
12-02-2002, 07:22 PM
Wolf Woman

I assume you have seen Scott Lee play. He is a very good pool player.. and I kept up with him in games won..

The CCB players that I saw play at the CCB tournament at the US Open.. were all good, APA 4 level at the very least, but mostly 5s and 6s. There were at least FOUR APA SL 7s or above in that tournament.

I suspect that the One Pocket tournament might have 8 to 12 players at the most. Its not as popular as 9 ball.

But, with a blind draw, you could be paired up with one of the better players and have a chance to finish in the money.

This tournament will be fun at the very least. Lots of woofing (sorry for the dog reference) and plenty of good times. This is more of a social gathering than any thing else.

Scott Lee
12-03-2002, 02:16 AM
Laura...In Scotch Doubles coaching is allowed, but only by your partner. Usually it is limited to 1 minute (which is actually pretty long), and you could conceivably do it on every shot...although that might be stretching it some.

Scott

silverbullet
12-03-2002, 05:30 AM
Scott,

Thanks. I hope I can come. If after we pay bills and all, well I should be able to let you know for sure by jan 1. I would love to play with all the CCBers. Seriously I dont thiink I am all that bad, I think my problem is lack of confidence so cant win in tournaments. So really do need to get past that attitude, cuz all anybody remembers is if you win or lose.

Laura

Drake
12-03-2002, 02:02 PM
Count me in. I'll need directions from the hotel. I'll be playing in Derby and hope there won't be any conflicts in playing in both.

Scott Lee
12-03-2002, 11:24 PM
Laura...Here are three good reasons to come:
1) a chance to watch high level pool played by the top pros.
2) a chance to meet and play with several CCB'rs!
3) I WILL make time to give you another lesson (sometime while you are there), that you are pining for! LOL

Hope you can make it, but if not...fear not, I WILL return to MD!

Scott

Scott Lee
12-03-2002, 11:29 PM
Drake...Glad to have you! Although I haven't been to the DCC tournament site, my friends in Louisville tell me it is very close to the Bank Shot, which is right downtown...a little more than walking distance, but I think only 2-3 miles away. We'll have easy to understand directions available from my "man in Louisville"! Dennis, you listening? LOL

Scott

dddd
12-04-2002, 12:26 AM
scott yep i am here

ok
directions from executive west
from parking lot to expressway entrance, follow to I 264 east.
you will cross the expressway and circle around by the airport and enter expressway going east.
watch for sign to louisville on I65. there will be the opposite direction to nashville there too.
take i65 to louisville (although you are already here, go figure) this will be north away from airport, towards fairgrounds.
you will loop around and enter i65 north.
stay on this for several miles the exact number i dont know.
you will go past university of louisville campus on left. in a mile or so more start looking for BROOK STREET. exit here, this will be one way going north or towards the river. you will be passing hospitals. this street moves around (jogging right then left) and be aware of staying on brook street. several intersections later, the exact number i dont remember, but i think is around 3 or 4. you cant really go too much further past market is main and then you run into the river soon after. if you could go that far
you will come to market street and take a right, go down 2 or 3 blocks, look on left for a old large bank building on the corner of preston and market. thats it its large and has huge columns on the front, park in parking lot beside it.
market street is two way also. if you pass mcdonalds on right youve gone too far.
i know i went on and added landmarks, i tried to help you keep visually connected with where you are.
for me the trip takes 15 minutes if im moving slow.

Wally_in_Cincy
12-04-2002, 08:35 AM
I'll play in the 9-ball. Only because I'm lucky at drawing good partners in blind draw scotch doubles /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/shocked.gif.

Gotta practice 9-ball now.......sheesh

Scott Lee
12-04-2002, 10:28 AM
Thanks Dennis! GREAT directions! Everyone who wants to play should print these directions out, so they have a copy with them. If you STILL can't find it, the phone number is 502-587-8260. See you in a month!

Scott Lee

dardusm
12-04-2002, 04:26 PM
Hello,

I am a long time lurker that is just beginning to post. The Derby is an awesome tournament with great atmosphere for pool enthusiast. Everyone should go at least once. I will be going to play in the 9-ball and if I'm not still in the tournament /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif would love to play in the 9-ball and possibly the 1-pocket CCB tournament.

Darryl

Ralph S.
12-06-2002, 09:36 AM
I WILL BE THERE!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Ralph S.- sign me up for both