PDA

View Full Version : Who would you have build a custom cue?(attempt #2)

03-09-2002, 08:10 PM
I am going to have a cue made for my son. With the considerable wait time for a custom cue I figure I better get on a list.

Q-guy
03-09-2002, 09:21 PM
Where do you live, with so many component cue makers today. You may live a short drive from a very good cuemaker. Don't be over influenced by the big names.

MaineEAck
03-09-2002, 09:24 PM
josey, best cue i have ever hit with.!!!...!!!...111
www.joseycues.com (http://www.joseycues.com)

03-09-2002, 10:01 PM
Amen, I agree! If this is a gift, it should be personalized. The handle should have a theme to individualize the owner. A certain color, or theme, from conservative to flashy. The artwork is in the handle, but the performance comes from the shaft. Find out about joints, quick disconnects are cool. As far as shafts, there are many to choose from, laminated or solid, to get the performance needed. Find out about what he likes or dislikes about his cue he has now. A custom cue should not be about the maker, it should be about the owner. Put as much thought and purpose into the project as money. I bought my cue because of it's theme and performance, and would not sell it for three times what I paid.

03-09-2002, 11:11 PM
Schick cues are simply the best. A close second is a Black Boar.

cueball1950
03-09-2002, 11:44 PM
would have to be either Paul Dayton or Dick Phillippi

03-11-2002, 11:06 AM
I just got ANOTHER cue from "Andy Gilbert". I love It hit's great and look great.I won't play with nothing else.
If you are going to the expo in PA. look for him.
He's a great guy.And a great cuemaker.

Rich R.
03-11-2002, 12:26 PM
I voted fot Tim Scruggs, simply because that is what I use. I am fortunate, in that Scruggs and Lambros, as well as a couple of other great cue makers, such as Bob Frey, Joss, Phillippi and Black Boar, are all within short drives from me. I would recommend finding the best cue makers within a reasonable drive from your location and deciding on one of them. That will allow you to have personal contact with the cue maker and you can get together on ideas to make the cue exactly what you want. In my opinion, personal contact is much better than phone and/or computer contact. Rich R.

03-11-2002, 12:31 PM
Kikel

03-11-2002, 02:19 PM
Having collected custom cues for some time now, here is my 2 cents worth:
*what you order is not always what you get. (I have ordered cues from well respected cuemakers and the "hit" or characteristics have not lived up to expectations). For instance, having heard about the famous "hit" of Southwests, I finally bought one at a fairly high price. While the workmanship was very good, I never fully got used to the "hit". This is not to say that the cue might be perfect for someone else, but for me it did not suit my game.

*If at all possible, I would hit with the cue before buying it. The best cue that I have ever played with (and I have shot with virtually all the great cuemakers cues)was a Dale Perry (back when he spliced cues). This particular cue shot better than any of the 200 custom cues that this particular billiard store had on stock. This was mutually agreed upon by everyone in the store, with the exception of one person. The cue cost $900. At the time, I could not afford it, but in hindsight I think that it would have been worth the investment.

*Lastly...go for quality of "hit". Don't go for the look or how fancy the cue is. It's no fun to be beat by a guy holding a sneaky peat, when you're playing with a $3000 stick.

Anyhow, some great cuemakers: Bender, Southwest, Gilbert, Martinez (my playing cue), Schick (love'em), Mottey, Tascarella, JossWest, blackboar, Omega (DPK), buss, Wes Hunter, Ron Haley, Capone (look nice, but never hit w/ one), Tad (magical, if you can find one)

Regards,
Doug

03-11-2002, 02:21 PM
I already play with my ultimate custom playing cue. /ccboard/images/icons/smile.gif A Cognoscenti, by Joe Gold.

03-11-2002, 03:01 PM
Rich, there has got to be a reason why Lambros cues are hotter than hotcakes. I've tried only one, with the Hit, and was VERY impressed by it. Scruggs are nice but I can't stand stainless steel jointed cues. Billiardwarehouse can't get enough Lambros. I think I'm gonna order one. I should have 3 yrs ago. Duhh!

03-11-2002, 04:05 PM
Another good cue that i have played with is an Alex Brick cue. I really like the hit. I think if i ever had to get another cue it would be that.

Sid_Vicious
03-11-2002, 04:20 PM
You received a vote for a Gilbert cue, I'll second that vote. I bought one from a local player about 2 years ago and that cue just "came alive" in my hands, made damn near everything I pokes at. It wasn't one of Andy's higher end cues, a BJ with beautiful dark African wood in the forearm, his points are his realssignature on his cues(as I am told.) I once had a player come over when I was at Carson's(CJ's new house) to ask me what kind of cue it was, and it was a loaded question. He and a buddy then proceeded to produce Gilberts from their cases, there were a at least 7 in the lot not counting mine AND one of the guys had one WIP. I'll try and post a pic file of mine,,,don't quote me on this but I think you can have Gilbert build this for around $300. It plays phenomenal(IMMOSO) sid

Btw, I sent you a picture file of my Gilbert to your e-mail

Drake
03-11-2002, 04:22 PM
Want a stiff cue?? Want a cuemaker who stands behind his work??? Josey custom cues!!!!!

03-11-2002, 05:36 PM
I played with a Southwest for a couple of years and swore I`d never play with anything else. Then I bought a Ted Harris cue. I can`t put it down! It hits super solid (like a Bender) and the craftmanship is outstanding. I would check him out as well as Mike Bender(long wait)or Andy Gilbert(making a very solid hitting cue with not that long of a wait) Good luck!!
Chuck G.

03-11-2002, 11:34 PM
All good choice so far. IMO, Joss West, Gina and the guys from Florida...Pete Omen and Dennis Searing. Searing cues are second to none, it takes him a long time to build one but its worth the wait. I have owned some great cues {Szamboti's, Balabushka's, Tad's} and his cues meet or exceed all of them in playability.

TomBrooklyn
03-12-2002, 04:00 AM
If I was actually paying for this cue, I would get a custom sneaky pete from Hank Thompson www.samsaracues.com (http://www.thompsoncues.com.>www.thompsoncues.com.</a>) ....something similar to The Butterfly or the Spider Web.

The Butterfly is a complex blend of Purple Heart, Holly, Tiger Stripe Maple and Gaboon Ebony trimmed with 108 individual fine silver diamonds and sterling silver rings and points are set off with Sugilite Marquise inlays and etched sterling silver joint collar to create a butterfly design. Hand-crafted Mahogany Case.

The Spider Web is made from Purple Heart inlayed in fancy Birdseye and highly figured Tiger Stripe Maple to create an optically illusory web-like design. Hand-crafted fancy Birdseye Case.

Rich R.
03-12-2002, 06:26 AM
You are correct, Lambros cues are hotter than hot with all the collectors, especially the Asian collectors. I have hit a few balls with a Lambros, but not enough to make a good assessment. The craftmanship in the cues is outstanding. I know a few people that play with them and they love them and I am thinking about getting one myself. I will have to hit a few more balls with one before I decide. What I can tell you is that Lambros makes a laminated shaft that is suppose to be great with very little deflection. Most of the players I know with a Lambros cue, swear by his laminated shaft. If you buy a Lambros, you may want to talk to him about one.
On a side note, if you like Scruggs cues, don't let the stainless steel joint stop you. Although most of his cues have stainless steel, Timmy will make you a cue with any joint you want. Rich R.

Kato
03-12-2002, 10:11 AM
Searing, Manzino, or Cognesentti. These are my dream cues. Of course I wouldn't kick a Southwest out of bed.

Kato

03-12-2002, 10:39 AM
Hi,
I am getting a new Tim Scruggs cue in a few days.Great hit,balance and cuemaker.I highly reccomend them.
Michael

03-12-2002, 11:22 AM
Thanks for the reply Rich.
~Joey~

03-12-2002, 08:27 PM
Either JossWest (Bill Stroud, which I have) or Tad Kohara.

Steel

LC3
03-13-2002, 12:59 PM
The nicest hitting cue I've played with to date is my Jacoby. The balance is great. It feels like the cue is on rails once I line it up and set it into motion. And the hit is nice and solid. I feel a swell of confidence when I shoot with this cue, and it really takes me to the top of my game. I'm not crazy about the rounded points and inlays on Jacoby cues, but that doesn't apply to my plain jane. If I were going for my ultimate cue with points, I think I'd check out Lambros first.

I haven't tried many of the big name cues. I'd love to have the opportunity to lay out a cue from all the lauded makers and work down to the one that feels best for me. What a sublime experience that would be.

Fred Agnir
03-13-2002, 01:03 PM
I would add Mike Bender to the list, as well as the incomparable Ernie Gutierrez.

Fred

03-13-2002, 01:15 PM
Mike Webb, Pawtucket, RI.
As a matter of fact I was saving to get one from him until
about 3 hours ago when I got laid off. Bummer!!!!

03-13-2002, 01:47 PM
I have owned cues from Cogs to Libras and will be the first to state that as investments the big names are a must, unless you're lucky enough to stumble upon a maker early in his/her career destined for "fame".
But since this is for a kid, I suggest dropping $700-$900 on a cue from Dave Barber. His are good value cues
that hit well in a 3/8"-10 pin joint. The wait will not be long, and in direct contrast to most others, he has a very good chance of making his promise date.

DAVE BARBER 21713 SAUCIER/LIZANA RD.
SAUCIER, MS 39574 1-228-831-8738

Mike

03-14-2002, 08:37 PM
Also try Ernie Martinez out of Denver and Showcase Billiard "True Hit " model cue also out of Denver. BF