PDA

View Full Version : Do you play Better slightly MAGGOTTED ?

bigbro6060
12-02-2002, 01:59 AM
DOes a few Tinnys in ya make you play better ?

a couple does i think. I'm more relaxed and stroke more freely

anymore than that i don't think helps

12-02-2002, 02:09 PM
I'm new here so I know my opinion will probably only go so far, but I have found that normally a few is a hinderance, but if I get really tense I have found that having a beer or two can sometimes help me to calm down and focus on my shots. The only downfall is that it has also had adverse affects, where I no longer cared (but I think I had more than 2 on those occasions)

Doomsday Machine
12-02-2002, 05:25 PM
Maybe I missed something, what is maggotted, and what is a tinny ??? If you want more responses to your questions you might try using expressions that the MAJORITY of the CCB users will understand. If I walked down the street in the U.S. and asked 100 people what these 2 expressions mean I would be lucky to find 1 person who knows what maggotted & a tinny means. I realize that there are CCBers from other countries but I am sure that the overwhelming majority come from the U.S.

stickman
12-02-2002, 05:29 PM
Drink and play pool at the same time? LOL

Yes, I have noticed that often a couple of beers will relax me and improve my game, but it is a double-edged sword. If two will help, maybe several will help more? /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif If I'm playing seriously, I either don't drink or limit myself to no more than two or three max. Now, if I'm just out having fun, that's different.

I find that a few practice sets with a friend will also loosen me up, and help my game.

phil in sofla
12-03-2002, 12:12 AM
I believe in something called '(mental) state specific learning.' That is, if you practice that way, you should play that way.

Personally, I've gone away from early drinks, which I used to favor, to water and coffee to start with for some hours, and then a beer or two or three, spaced about an hour or so apart, for best results. Once having beer, I'll intersperse a bottle of water in between, for best titration of the ethanol blood content (keeping it on the low side).

Then again, I get my smoke on for practice, and don't necessarily do that for league.

12-03-2002, 12:40 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote phil in sofla:</font><hr> I believe in something called '(mental) state specific learning.' That is, if you practice that way, you should play that way.

Personally, I've gone away from early drinks, which I used to favor, to water and coffee to start with for some hours, and then a beer or two or three, spaced about an hour or so apart, for best results. Once having beer, I'll intersperse a bottle of water in between, for best titration of the ethanol blood content (keeping it on the low side).

Then again, I get my smoke on for practice, and don't necessarily do that for league. <hr /></blockquote>

to once again quote the master, ####leonard, for average body weight,it seems that something like 6oz.of beer per hour will work ok.

well, i thought he said 6 beers per hour and...

careful about that smoke, i'm told it leads to the hard stuff. oreo cookies. by the pound. till you're just sitting there giggling while you stuff those suckers in your mouth with both hands, spitting milk out of your ears and...well, so i was told.

dan

phil in sofla
12-03-2002, 04:46 PM
Doesn't have that oreo effect on me. Normally, if I have trouble, it'll be switching groups in 8 ball in the middle of the game, or going for the NEXT to lowest ball on the table in 9 ball (forgetting the actual lowest ball is there), that sort of thing.

Other observations: the white powder thing isn't helpful to my game at all, and X is way bad for my game (but I didn't seem to care too much about that at the time). Going by my 'state-specific learning' theory, that should improve with practice in those states, but for some reason, I always forget to try working on it, LOL!

12-03-2002, 05:55 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote phil in sofla:</font><hr> Doesn't have that oreo effect on me. Normally, if I have trouble, it'll be switching groups in 8 ball in the middle of the game, or going for the NEXT to lowest ball on the table in 9 ball (forgetting the actual lowest ball is there), that sort of thing.

<hr /></blockquote>

exactly, short story: a(ahem) friend of mine is at the table fairly late in the evening, he comes over to his opponent and asks politely as to whether he is stripes or solids. the other guy thinks for a minute and replies:"well, you're solids. until you get to the nine. then you're stripes."

dan

phil in sofla
12-03-2002, 10:32 PM
Heh, heh! Many's the time when watching the opponent I'll wonder how he'll get to the next numbered ball in sequence, only to realize (again) we're shooting 8-ball!

nAz
12-04-2002, 02:03 PM
I have notice that if im feeling nervous a shot of tequila will calm me down and help me focus a lot better, but i dont like to do this cause im afraid ill do it all the time and use it as an excuse to have more drinks. dont want to end up like Keith McCready lol

Kato
12-04-2002, 02:39 PM
Not in league Phil? This is my buddy Phil right? Hey Dan, Phil's libel to give you a lesson in physics or philosophy forget about the cookies.

Kato~~~knows Phils moves

phil in sofla
12-04-2002, 06:17 PM
Not on Tuesday nights, ever, and on Wednesday, only at Mark's request (well, before him, Magic Billy's too). If they weren't there, no, didn't, before, or during.