PDA

View Full Version : The WPC Tourney and Sid "dick" Waddell

Eric.
12-02-2002, 10:12 AM
I had a chance to watch some of the World Pool Champs in Cardiff courtesy of Mr. Ingrate's chain-video. I have to say, the production by Sky Sports is pretty good! I would rate it close to an Accu-Stat video. What I liked most was the slow motion replay of the players break shots. You get a chance to see it from the side of the breaker, from above the table and behind the breaker. Good stuff. For Ex- on Busta's break, you get a chance to really see what's going on, in slow motion.
The table views were similar to what Accu-Stat does with over head cams, eye level cams, and pocket cams. Again, good stuff.
The commentary teams were pretty good too with the ONE exception:

Who the Hell is Sid Waddell??? This guy sounded like an even Gay-er version of Robin Leach(Lifestyles of the Rich and Shameless)! This guy was WAY too excitable to the point of being annoying. I mean, he is definitely "light in the loafers". Now, even though I'm a little homophobic, I can live and let live. My problem is that as a commentator, he was terrible. He doesn't know the game, uses way too much English slang and jargon to the point of being difficult to understand, not to mention his Gawd awful corny-a$$ analogies. At one point, when Efren was playing a difficult shot into the corner, after making the shot Sid says" Well he may not know the equations like ALFRED Einstein, but he knows the science!!"(said with a highly excited nasally voice) Oh, did I mention that Sid continuously called Efren the "Maestro" for most of the tourney? When Sid was teamed up with Jerry Forsyth, I needed subtitles to figure out what was being said! Sid would call Francisco Bustamante "Franzie" and Jerry in his southern drawl, calling him Fran Sisco, I had no idea who was playing.

Either way, I'm gonna watch the rest of the tapes. Overall, everything was great!

Eric

Luke Riches
12-02-2002, 10:54 AM
" I have to say, the production by Sky Sports is pretty good! I would rate it close to an Accu-Stat video."

Are you having a laugh?

As for Sid being a left footer you obviously don't know him. He comes from the North East where those things don't exist!

Luke

Eric.
12-02-2002, 11:21 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Luke Riches:</font><hr> " I have to say, the production by Sky Sports is pretty good! I would rate it close to an Accu-Stat video."

Are you having a laugh?

As for Sid being a left footer you obviously don't know him. He comes from the North East where those things don't exist!

Luke <hr /></blockquote>

Luke,

My comment on the quality of the production is genuine. I thought highly of it. BTW, Accu-Stat puts out a quality production so comparing yours to theirs is definately a compliment.

As far as Sid Waddell, what's your opinion on his commentating?

Eric

Kato
12-02-2002, 11:47 AM
Eric, I think he's a complete whack job but he gets me pumped. I'm next in line so start dubbing Eric. Don't make me get out of this chair!!!!!!!!

Kato

eg8r
12-02-2002, 11:51 AM
[ QUOTE ]
" I have to say, the production by Sky Sports is pretty good! I would rate it close to an Accu-Stat video."
[ QUOTE ]
Are you having a laugh? <hr /></blockquote><hr /></blockquote>Wow Luke, you are pretty high on your horse. As the "professional" promoter you are trying to become you might want to think before you speak. I say "trying" because a true professional would not let such a knock on another person come out of their mouth. It is amazing to think that you guys are all trying to make the sport better and then you go and knock the quality of another person who is out there trying to help better the game themselves.

I guess there is only room for one in this game, just ask Mr. Riches.

eg8r &lt;~~~Tries not to talk bad about others just to build myself esteem

Eric.
12-02-2002, 11:54 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Kato:</font><hr> Eric, I think he's a complete whack job but he gets me pumped. I'm next in line so start dubbing Eric. Don't make me get out of this chair!!!!!!!!

Kato <hr /></blockquote>

Kato,

You've got to relax a little, I just got the tapes 5 days ago! /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif Either way, I'll try to Priority Mail them to you by weeks end as there are a few others on the list too.

Eric &gt;what would happen if Kato got out of his chair?

Kato
12-02-2002, 12:30 PM
Come on dude. I'm just ribbin' ya. Besides, if I get out of this chair then one of is gonna fall down. Chances are it will be me so don't make me get up.

Mr Ingrate
12-02-2002, 12:52 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Kato:</font><hr> Eric, I think he's a complete whack job but he gets me pumped. I'm next in line so start dubbing Eric. Don't make me get out of this chair!!!!!!!!

Kato <hr /></blockquote>

Hi Kato,

The first time Sid screamed out his word in the middle of a sentence, for no reason, he scared the hell out of me. Then it was kind of ammusing. After that he got stale pretty quickly. Most of his commentary is just gibberish and he does exhibit a degree of ingorance one wouldn't expect in a supposedly experienced announcer.

But, back to the tapes. Watch Bustamante's jump shots. I'd almost swear he is striking the ball below the median, which would make it an illegal shot.

I also got a chuckle out of Steve Davis' comment regarding Earl's ability/knowledge of the jump shot. Earl was one of the first players to use the jump as an offensive weapon in tournaments. He would push out to a spot that required a jump and when his opponent turned the table back to him, he would jump (with his playing cue) and make the ball and run out. Earl has a distaste for the jump cue and I suspect Davis assumed from that the Earl doesn't jump.

Kato
12-02-2002, 12:56 PM
Something about him Dave, I can't explain it.

Kato

pro9dg
12-02-2002, 01:05 PM
Eric's comments were presumably made in innocence but I can understand Luke Riches' reaction to them. The multi camerawork and most of the new features used by Accu Stats could be seen in Matchroom/Sky Sports pool programming as long as ten years ago.
The arena settings for the US Open had a familiar "Cardiff" look about them. Likewise, the commentary by Jim Wych, who has filled this role for Matchroom for many a year.
Sid Waddell's humour and delivery style may be an acquired taste to an American ear, but believe me he has many supporters in other markets.
There is room for other TV productions but they will have a hard job to outdo Matchroom/Sky who are probably on to the next innovation.
Watch the Mosconi Cup and see for yourself!

Eric.
12-03-2002, 10:36 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote pro9dg:</font><hr> Eric's comments were presumably made in innocence but I can understand Luke Riches' reaction to them. The multi camerawork and most of the new features used by Accu Stats could be seen in Matchroom/Sky Sports pool programming as long as ten years ago.
The arena settings for the US Open had a familiar "Cardiff" look about them. Likewise, the commentary by Jim Wych, who has filled this role for Matchroom for many a year.
Sid Waddell's humour and delivery style may be an acquired taste to an American ear, but believe me he has many supporters in other markets.
There is room for other TV productions but they will have a hard job to outdo Matchroom/Sky who are probably on to the next innovation.
Watch the Mosconi Cup and see for yourself! <hr /></blockquote>

Eric.
12-03-2002, 10:42 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Kato:</font><hr> Come on dude. I'm just ribbin' ya. Besides, if I get out of this chair then one of is gonna fall down. Chances are it will be me so don't make me get up.

<hr /></blockquote>

My man,

I never take it the wrong way from you. Hope T-day was good for you and I'll talk to you soon.

Eric