PDA

View Full Version : Newbie needs advice.

12-02-2002, 02:00 PM
Well, I just found this board today and really just decided that I want to start playing pool. Always loved to play pool when I was younger, but no one in the family ever owned a table. Spent Thanksgiving at my sister-in-laws house where they had a table and my wife and I played for hours. We would both like to start playing regularly and are seeking out a good pool hall in the area. One thing we will want to do is to purchase some cues. I basically know nothing about pool cues and have no clue what to look for. We are both college students so funds are very limited. We would probably be looking for cues in the $100-$200. If you have any suggestions on specific websites to read to get info on picking a cue or suggestions for a specific model or brand of cue, please let me know. Thanks.

Wally_in_Cincy
12-02-2002, 02:47 PM
For now just use house cues. When you are more familiar with the game you will be able to make a more informed decision.

Perk
12-02-2002, 02:50 PM
Most pool halls have cues other than the house cues that you can use for a small fee or for free. Around my area, the cost might be 1.50 per session. They are lower level cues (McDermotts/Vikings/Players), but at least most of the time they are somewhat straight, and gives a better feel than the average house cue. Using these different cues will also help give ya a feel for what types of things ya like and dislike...HTH

Icon of Sin
12-02-2002, 05:52 PM
Hey Slide13, do you also post at www.bladeforums.com (http://www.bladeforums.com) ? Sorry of the off topic comment guys...

btw. My Fiancee just spent 120 on a Players Tourney Cue for xmas for me, you might want to look into one of those... im planning on getting a balabushka gb-1 in February and I'm gonna use the Players Cue for breaking then...

12-02-2002, 08:12 PM
Yeah Icon, I'm from BFC. I saw your post where you listed this forum as another hang out and just got into pool so I thought I would check it out.