PDA

View Full Version : Bungee Jump Cue Poll, Worth the $80?

12-02-2002, 09:26 PM
[pollstart]
[polltitle=So, is the Bungee Jump cue everything it's made out to be?]
[polloption=Fantastic, best $80 I ever spent!]
[polloption=Ehh..It's Alright. Not what I expected though.]
[polloption=Makes Great Firewood, and that's about it.]
[pollstop]

rackmup
12-03-2002, 12:08 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote FAQ at CCB forum:</font><hr>Putting a poll in your post is simple, but remember: Posts with polls in them cannot be edited but they may be deleted.
Only admins and moderators may use this feature.
To add a poll to your post, use this format:<hr /></blockquote>

We, as users of the forum, can no longer insert polls into our posts.

FYI.

Regards,

Ken

Chris Cass
12-03-2002, 12:42 AM
Hi Left Eye,

I don't think it's a bad buy. You do have to practice with it. If you get really good with it you'll find it's priceless. I've had a Bunjee and 2 Air Time cues. I like them both but prefer the Air Time. I was down 6-1 in a race to 7 for $200. one night. I had no choice but to jump. I made this shot and ran the set out. I pocketed this ball in the side pocket and never looked back. Do I think it was worth it? Yes, plus I ended up $600. winner to boot.

START(
%A[3\7%BB4\2%CB7\4%D[5\6%E]3F7%FI5X3%G_0F7%Hc6T8%Io8H6%Pr3H4
%U[9C8%V\9F0%eB5a8%__0G5%`n1F9%aq2H2
)END

Still remembers kissing that cue before tucking it away.

Regards,

C.C.~~ have to get used to it and it will serve you well. I think of the jump cue as stealing.

TomBrooklyn
12-03-2002, 01:00 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote rackmup:</font><hr>We, as users of the forum, can no longer insert polls into our posts.<hr /></blockquote>Well, talk about putting a cramp on your style. Oh well.

Rod
12-03-2002, 01:43 AM
Jeez Chris, I doubt if I could make that ball if the 9 wasn't there! Can't see you know, LOL

~~ rods not going to let CC use hoppy if we play /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

12-03-2002, 02:36 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Chris Cass:</font><hr> Hi Left Eye,

I don't think it's a bad buy. You do have to practice with it. If you get really good with it you'll find it's priceless. I've had a Bunjee and 2 Air Time cues. I like them both but prefer the Air Time. I was down 6-1 in a race to 7 for $200. one night. I had no choice but to jump. I made this shot and ran the set out. I pocketed this ball in the side pocket and never looked back. Do I think it was worth it? Yes, plus I ended up $600. winner to boot.

START(
%A[3\7%BB4\2%CB7\4%D[5\6%E]3F7%FI5X3%G_0F7%Hc6T8%Io8H6%Pr3H4
%U[9C8%V\9F0%eB5a8%__0G5%`n1F9%aq2H2
)END

Still remembers kissing that cue before tucking it away.

Regards,

C.C.~~ have to get used to it and it will serve you well. I think of the jump cue as stealing.

<hr /></blockquote>

i use a bunjee and it's great for those little hops like where the other guy is just sure he locked you in but he left an inch or two between the c.b. and the occluding ball. it'll make him gun shy about those kind of safes and mess his head. i hear all that macho stuff (stricklandish) about only jumping with a full cue but the big cue ain't the right tool for those little, close, hops.

dan

CarolNYC
12-03-2002, 04:11 AM
Chris,
Great shot! And left-eye,YES-having the ablity to jump will increase your game-I use a bungee-it took me a while ,but as Chris said, with practice its a great tool when there is just NO POSSIBILITY to kick it! Chris is my jumping mentor and mantra-he helped me immensely by answering my questions, suggestions on reading certain websites and all that great stuff, so,if you need assistance, I'd aim you toward Chris!
Good luck with jumping and if you have children, let them wear the bike helmets!ha ha ha
Carol:)

12-03-2002, 04:18 AM
2 years ago I bought a Bunjee for 110$Can. The following week playing a guy a race to 8 of 8-ball for 150$, we were hill-hill and I got hooked on the very last ball I had to make before the final 8. The other guy only had to make the 8 to win. Cue ball 2 inches behind the 8 ball, I used my bunjee to jump over it to make my last ball in the corner and leave the cue ball there to make the 8 in the other corner. Was I ever glad I had that Bunjee! Paid itself off just in one shot. Next week my opponent got himself one too. I think those who say it is not worth to have a jump cue are missing a powerful last resort weapon in their case, and one day or another you will whish you had one. Leave it in your case though, don't let your opponent know you have one. When he hooks you well ( he thinks! ), let him celebrate a bit in his mind while you look at the table, then take slow walk to you case ( he will be wondering what you will come up with, or he will start thinking "[censored], he's got a jump cue! ". And then make the shot. That will throw his game off for a while.
I personnaly don't really favor jump shots, but the thing is if it is allowed, and your opponent has one, then he has an edge on you if you don't have one, and the opposite goes as well if you have one and he does not. If you have the choice between buying a jump cue or a break cue, go for the jump cue first. Don't buy a break-jump ( like Falcon ) cue. When you use it for jumping, it is still too heavy and will not jump as well as a Bunjee or similar cues that use the same idea.

silverbullet
12-03-2002, 05:22 AM
I heard the stealth is good but it cost 80$ too

Laura

Rich R.
12-03-2002, 05:33 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote nineballwizard:</font><hr> Don't buy a break-jump ( like Falcon ) cue. When you use it for jumping, it is still too heavy and will not jump as well as a Bunjee or similar cues that use the same idea. <hr /></blockquote>
Although I do not jump much and I am not very good at it, I have to disagree with your last statement. I have a Sledgehammer break/jump cue and it jumps fine. Before buying it, I never jumped a ball. It took me all of three attempts to start jumping full balls, with little or no problem, except for my accuracy. Of course it is not perfect. I am not happy breaking with it. Because of the phenolic ferrule/tip combination, it is easy to miscue if you do not stay very near center ball. I will be trying a new break/jump shortly. /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

eg8r
12-03-2002, 06:44 AM
Bunjee has a jump break cue available now. I have not had any problems with it so far.

eg8r

Sid_Vicious
12-03-2002, 08:06 AM
Y'all can take eg8r's word on that, I believe he was the only one of us Saturday who made all of his jumps on the slick simonas. I jokingly told him twice that "You can jump that" and out came his JC, 2 of the jumps were near or under a balls width away.

I'm glad you mentioned it was a J/B cue eg8r. I went home thinking that was one of the longest Bungee jumper extentions after seeing you unscrew it those few times....sid~~~stubbornly working with a Stealth, surely it has to be me and not the cue

Perk
12-03-2002, 08:07 AM
Bunjee Jump Cues are really very simple to execute a jump shot. Clearing "full" balls from short spans isnt the question nor the problem. The cue works as stated. If thats what you want then I would recommend it.

The problem with any jump cue will be "accuracy". Everyone can tell you about the amazing jump shot that won the game/set. How many times do we talk about the jump that topped the ball in front of us, that double bounced off of your CB and off the table, or that over shot the ball your playin giving ball in hand???

Granted jump cues are a small investment, but I think I will take my "small investment" and put it into practise/training on kicks/banks/caroms to help you get out of "jail". More times than not, good players will hook you so close to a ball that jumping isnt an option, therefore the more practise at the kicks/banks/caroms will payoff more than the jump shot.

I am more less talking about up close jumps where a jump cue is needed. The longer jumps are easily accomplished with pretty much any cue, and accuracy is higher.

Just my opinions. Now I am pondering: How often do the top players breakout Bunjee style jump cues for a shot? If anyone has a reference to a particular match, i would be interested in seeing it.

rackmup
12-03-2002, 08:23 AM
/ccboard/images/graemlins/confused.gif

rackmup
12-03-2002, 08:34 AM
I agree with you Sid...that eg8r can jump! He has the Bunjee Jump/Break cue and the regular Bunjee Jump Cue and has mastered both of them.

I'm thinking of having a new shaft made for my Meucci JC, something a little 'thicker' (perhaps even one of those stiff laminated jobs) to help cut down on deflection upon impact with whitey. Steve Hebert says he can make me one out of a laminated blank.

Anyone know the diameter of a Bunjee shaft?

Regards,

Ken (my Meucci JC is prettier than any other JC on the market)

Popcorn
12-03-2002, 08:41 AM
What ever your choice in jump cue, I don't believe in a jump break cue at all. They have different needs and can't be mixed. If you are a serious player, you don't get a cue just because it is more convenient, you want the best cue for each purpose.

Rich R.
12-03-2002, 08:53 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Perk:</font><hr> Now I am pondering: How often do the top players breakout Bunjee style jump cues for a shot? If anyone has a reference to a particular match, i would be interested in seeing it. <hr /></blockquote>
I don't have a reference to a particular match and I have never counted the number of times a pro has gone to their jump cue. But I have seen a good number of pro matches, both men and women, and I can tell you that all of them, except maybe Earl, reach for their jump cues whenever they are needed.

Popcorn
12-03-2002, 09:02 AM
The jump cue is just another tool, its use is not really something to be debated. As long as it is legal, you should be versed in its use, as well as practicing all other aspects of the game. Anyone who does not own and use a jump cue when the need should arise would be foolish. Pros pull out jump cues very often.

Terry
12-03-2002, 09:33 AM
I have a bunjee jump cue, and I think it's an asset. The bunjee is made for jumping and is not special to look at. The only time it'll hurt you is if you don't know your abilities with it, and then it really hurts. LOL. Get yourself an old piece of cloth and practice in sets of 50, you still have to move the cloth around so you don't put burn marks on your table but the extra cloth helps. Good Luck, Terry

SPetty
12-03-2002, 09:41 AM
Hi Chris,

I got what I thought was a pretty good buy on a bunjee jump cue in Vegas last year. Turns out the thing doesn't work! I think the fella sold me a defective one! I've tried and tried to get the cue ball up off the table, but it just won't hop!

Actually, I probably should get together with Sid Vicious and/or rackmup to get lessons on how to make this thing work!

BTW - great shot, Chris!

eg8r
12-03-2002, 09:49 AM
[ QUOTE ]
Just my opinions. Now I am pondering: How often do the top players breakout Bunjee style jump cues for a shot? <hr /></blockquote>Not to sound like I am trying to start a fight, but this is the lamest argument on the planet. You are not a top player so why do you care if they do it or not. Top players practice all the time, I am sure you practice also, does this make you a top player. No it does not. Just like if they do or do not use jump cues you are still not going to be a top player. The player at hand is the only thing that matters. Since your chance at becoming a top player is soooo small (not a dig at you, just people in general) you might as well use all the tools that are deemed legal to help you out.

Arugments like these crack me up...It is like the argument about Predator. Since so many pros these days use predator, that must be the saviour. Well, I guess the pros of a decade ago would probably not stand a chance against todays pros since the olders pros did not have predator cues.

eg8r &lt;~~~Doesn't care what the top players use

eg8r
12-03-2002, 09:52 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I jokingly told him twice that "You can jump that" and out came his JC, 2 of the jumps were near or under a balls width away.<hr /></blockquote>Are you telling me that was not advice. I need to be more careful who I listen to.

Yes that is the rest of the break cue not the extension. /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

eg8r

eg8r
12-03-2002, 10:02 AM
[ QUOTE ]
I agree with you Sid...that eg8r can jump! He has the Bunjee Jump/Break cue and the regular Bunjee Jump Cue and has mastered both of them.<hr /></blockquote>AWWWW the two of you are being WAY too nice. My next job is to pocket the ob after when I make contact.

eg8r

Sid_Vicious
12-03-2002, 10:03 AM
SPetty...I think that getting a group of jumpers together is a keen idea. Spiderman has wanted to get my camcorder out to record and then slo-mo for stroke refinement on the jumps, especially the closer-up ones. Add to this my dillema(and yours with the B-gee)of getting much more success with my cheaper prices Lucasi than the Stealth...well you bring your Bungee, Spiderman his Frog, I'll bring my Stealth and Lucasi, get rackumup &amp; eg8r with their arsenal and who knows, maybe somebody will learn something(hopefully me!) Might be best to use a home table, but not necessarily. All that cloth pounding might be best done on a PH's table.

I think it sounds fun! sid

Popcorn
12-03-2002, 10:30 AM
A 2 x 4 foor piece of indoor outdoor carpet is also good for practicing the jump shot. You use it for a landing pad on the pooltable when practicing getting over the ball. Saves excessive wear and tear on the table.

Ross
12-03-2002, 10:35 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Perk:</font><hr> How often do the top players breakout Bunjee style jump cues for a shot? If anyone has a reference to a particular match, i would be interested in seeing it. <hr /></blockquote>

I can give you one dramatic example. Fong-Pang Chao was playing Francisco Bustamante a one game tie-breaker in the 2001 International Challenge of Champions. Francisco was forced to shoot a safe on the 7-ball, hooking Chao behind the 9. Chao pulled out his Bunjee and made this shot to win $50,000:

START(
%GF2J0%H`5H6%Id9O3%Pm5P5%UG7K4%Vm5P4%WD0D5%XF2J1%_ W5Z3%`D8N7
%aF6K2%ba9G4%cr5R7%dX0Z9
)END

So, I guess you could say the $100 Bunjee was a good investment in this particular case!

eg8r
12-03-2002, 10:48 AM
I might not be a good person to watch...I don't feel comfortable with the dart stroke so I use my normal stroke (does not matter how close i am) even if it is uncomfortable. It would be interesting to see in slow mo.

eg8r &lt;~~~Never used the jump cue this much until I moved to Tx

Sid_Vicious
12-03-2002, 10:58 AM
"Are you telling me that was not advice. I need to be more careful who I listen to."

Now you're learnin', watch listening to me! That phrase was worn out the first time rackmup, spiderman and I hooked up with our jumpers. I personally wasn't bothered when I got out of line and had to jump cuz I know it was time for someone to call out, "You can jump that!" and it applied to even sliver separations. Your jumps weren't impossible like many we foolishly poked at and yet on that slicky cloth they were commendable(IMO) when you hit them like you did. I'd like to try that jumper of yours next time to see if it works for my style...sid

Sid_Vicious
12-03-2002, 11:03 AM
I always used the underhand stroke until I got the stealth, it's more accurate for me but limits my close jumping ability. I've now gotten more confident using the dart so the standard stroke has gone away except for really long hops or when using the full cue.

I'd be as interested in seeing myself as anyone else for a case study, but observing a proficient underhand jumper in slow playback could make for some insight...sid

Eric.
12-03-2002, 11:06 AM
14mm, short 1/2 inch ferrule, strong taper(about 3-4 inches only)

Eric

Perk
12-03-2002, 11:29 AM
Of course you arent trying to pick a fight...its a forum right? Who was making an arguement out of it? I reread my post, and an arguement wasnt mentioned or suggested. I even agreed with owning a jump cue at the begin of my post.

Anyways..since ya mentioned...here are my other opinions? For One,,,not once did I say I was a top player...Although, I would be confident playing the majority of top players, including you, I would not classify myself as one.

My post mentioned "SHORT" distance jumps. That is the distance between the CB and the ball you need to clear. Similiar to Chris' shot he talked about making. Please make reference to a match that I can view that BUNJEE cues are used for "SHORT" distance jumpshots rather than a bank/kick? That was my point. The PROs work on angles more than jumping "SHORT" distances. I am a very good at jumpshots with longer distances. Its the "short" full ball jumps that pose problems using regular cues. So is the value warrented purchasing a jump cue for these 'rare' cases?

Which pro uses a Bunjee at super short high angled degrees? The shot that Ross showed is a great jump shot, not a "SHORT" distance shot I am talking about. Ross's example is a good jump shot, but its also a long distance jump (which I can make 8/10 times---and I am not a "Top" player according to eg8r) If I am making these with a regular cue,,,why pay money for a jump?

My whole point wasnt to critize a jump cue. It was that other options are takin the majority of the time.

Popcorn
12-03-2002, 11:41 AM
Short or long a jump cue is superior. It allows you to jump while keeping the speed off the cueball. When you jump with a standard cue the cueball really flies.

SPetty
12-03-2002, 11:46 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Sid_Vicious:</font><hr> I think that getting a group of jumpers together is a keen idea ...

you bring your Bungee, Spiderman his Frog, I'll bring my Stealth and Lucasi, get rackumup &amp; eg8r with their arsenal ...

Might be best to use a home table ... <hr /></blockquote>I might be mistaken, but it sure sounds like Sid just invited us all over to his house for jumping practice! Way to go, Sid! Count me in and let me know! /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

eg8r
12-03-2002, 12:03 PM
No problem. You can try it out as much as you want. LOL

eg8r

eg8r
12-03-2002, 12:04 PM
Sorry to hurt your feelings. Now I know you are sensitive and will post accordingly.

eg8r

Sid_Vicious
12-03-2002, 12:26 PM
What we need is someone with two tables, maybe a barbox as one. Know anyone like that? sid~~~hint-hint

Perk
12-03-2002, 12:42 PM
LOL...feelings not hurt...actually gave me something to do at work. /ccboard/images/graemlins/wink.gif

eg8r
12-03-2002, 12:44 PM
Pretty slow here at work also.

eg8r

Perk
12-03-2002, 12:46 PM
2 more hours..then i am off to PH....

eg8r
12-03-2002, 12:51 PM
I am out in 2.5 hours and off to play with the dog. LOL Actually the afternoon is showing some promise...I actually have someone wanting me to do something (Monday and Tues are usually slow around here).

eg8r

Perk
12-03-2002, 12:57 PM
5 degrees here outside,,snow drifting,,no wood stove at home...good evening to go to PH.

silverbullet
12-03-2002, 04:35 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote eg8r:</font><hr> &lt;/font&gt;&lt;blockquote&gt;&lt;font class="small"&gt;Quote:&lt;/font&gt;&lt;hr /&gt;
Just my opinions. Now I am pondering: How often do the top players breakout Bunjee style jump cues for a shot? <hr /></blockquote>Not to sound like I am trying to start a fight, but this is the lamest argument on the planet. You are not a top player so why do you care if they do it or not. Top players practice all the time, I am sure you practice also, does this make you a top player. No it does not. Just like if they do or do not use jump cues you are still not going to be a top player. The player at hand is the only thing that matters. <hr /></blockquote>

this is funny. i am certainly not a top player, but once I get better, i would love to learn how to jump. seems like fun to me. yeah, i know there is a good reason to learn it, i am just intrigued with anything connected with pool.

Laura

SPetty
12-03-2002, 08:34 PM
This is doable, although they're both just 8' cheapo tables. Let's get together via PM and see if we can get this jump workshop thing going....

Alfie
12-03-2002, 09:52 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote SPetty:</font><hr> This is doable, although they're both just 8' cheapo tables. Let's get together via PM and see if we can get this jump workshop thing going.... <hr /></blockquote> I haven't read this whole thread so someone might have said this already but it's a good idea to have this jump seminar on a soon to be recovered table whether it be public or private. And okay it with the owner first.

A jump class can be pretty rough on the cloth.