PDA

View Full Version : Can you explain this shot?

Paul_Mon
12-03-2002, 05:46 AM
Just finished reading Willie Jopling's latest column in BD. He shows this shot, the 1 ball is dead on in pocket A, and mentions that Jersey Red was the first person he saw make this shot. How do you make the one ball without throwing it away from the pocket?

START(
%Ag7O7%Bf7N8%CJ5O4%DL7N1%Ee4N5%FK6P1%GK6N8%HM7N8%I L7O4%JK6M5
%KJ5P7%LJ5N2%MK6Q4%NJ5R0%OJ5M0%PZ5L5%Qs3[2%Wr2Z1%Xh2P3
)END

Paul Mon

Perk
12-03-2002, 06:27 AM
If its dead on..then no english should keep it on that line with a center ball hit. Just my thoughts..will set it up when i get home from work...

Paul_Mon
12-03-2002, 07:51 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Perk:</font><hr> If its dead on..then no english should keep it on that line with a center ball hit. Just my thoughts..will set it up when i get home from work... <hr /></blockquote>

The way the shot is set up only the 5 ball can be struck with the cue ball. This will throw the 1 ball to the left every time, IMO.

Popcorn
12-03-2002, 07:59 AM
The only way I can think of is to hit the shot very hard. It keeps the ball from throwing.

Perk
12-03-2002, 08:16 AM
I think this is similiar to the trick shot with both balls froze with one lined up at each corner. Even with the five ball there, I think it will be like the cue ball as long as no english is applied...But I will try it at home..just to see. I know the harder you hit it, the more probable it is to throw and miss.

Popcorn
12-03-2002, 08:51 AM
When two balls are frozen, if you hit the first ball off center it will throw the object ball off line. The harder you hit it the less it will throw. The softer you hit it the more it will throw. This is common knowledge but you should work with it to understand it. It is an important concept in pool.

Terry
12-03-2002, 09:17 AM
Hi Paul, I don't know if I had it setup exactly like you ( I had the one and two dead for the pocket with the five giving the two a half ball hit and all three balls frozen, I had the cueball on the center string at 1 1/2 diamonds ), I made it several times by aiming at the left edge of the five with one tip of right center english and a medium to soft medium stroke. Terry

Rod
12-03-2002, 09:30 AM
Paul,
Either it is hit at warp speed or wet the contact points between the 1 and 2.

Terry
12-03-2002, 09:47 AM
Hi Rod, after reading your reply I went back to the table to see if I could make the shot by hitting it hard. I was able to make the one by aiming at the right edge of the five with one tip of right center english and a hard stroke. Terry

Eric.
12-03-2002, 11:29 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Paul_Mon:</font><hr> Just finished reading Willie Jopling's latest column in BD. He shows this shot, the 1 ball is dead on in pocket A, and mentions that Jersey Red was the first person he saw make this shot. How do you make the one ball without throwing it away from the pocket?

START(
%Ag7O7%Bf7N8%CJ5O4%DL7N1%Ee4N5%FK6P1%GK6N8%HM7N8%I L7O4%JK6M5
%KJ5P7%LJ5N2%MK6Q4%NJ5R0%OJ5M0%PZ5L5%Qs3[2%Wr2Z1%Xh2P3
)END

Paul Mon <hr /></blockquote>

Hit it very firm, with a stun stroke, aiming directly into the 5, 2 ball line. I'm assuming all balls are frozen?

Eric

JohnnyP
12-03-2002, 12:47 PM
Rod: I went to bed after looking at the diagram, and before I dropped off, came up with the same solution.

I had the thought that a hustler could lean over the table, pretending to be examining the setup, and surreptitiously drool on the contact point.

smfsrca
12-03-2002, 01:38 PM
Normally the front 2 frozen balls slide in the direction of the shot as if the 2 frozen balls are one ball. At this point they are no longer lined up with the pocket. The amount of slide is related to the friction between the 2 front balls, friction between each of the balls and the table, and speed, ie. how long they slide together.

If you wet the contact point of the 2 front balls you reduce the friction between the 2 balls and the ball closest to the pocket slides less thus allowing the shot to remain lined up.

Likewise if you elevate your cue shooting as if your going shoot a long low jump shot and shoot with considerable force you change the friction between the each of balls and the table, the ball closest to the pocket having the most friction.

In both of the above case the 2 front balls still slide, but they slide different amounts. In effect, they slide in an arc whose radial center is somehere near the pocket so they in fact remain lined up to the pocket.

Popcorn
12-03-2002, 03:26 PM
Wetting the ball will work but I thought this was a legitimate shot and not a set up trick shot. If it is the trick shot and I am allowed to do what I want I can make the shot whether you wet the ball or not but it would be a foul.
The shot is most often set up like this if that is what it is. (see below) Like I said, I can make this shot even when you don't wet the ball. It is a double trap, they try to trap me and get caught in their own trap trying to sucker me.

START(
%AK2Z8%BH7Z2%CJ5O4%DL7N1%EI9Z8%FK6P1%GK6N8%HM7N8%I L7O4%JK6M5
%KJ5P7%LJ5N2%MK6Q4%NJ5R0%OJ5M0%PE4X4
)END

smfsrca
12-03-2002, 04:14 PM
I agree. There are two ways of doing this.
One is a proposition shot which requires knowledge and deception.
The other is a righteous shot which requires knowledge and skill.
Steve

Popcorn
12-03-2002, 05:21 PM
It is one of those shots, (the spit shot), that beginners learn and can't wait to try to cheat someone with. I have had them try to do it to me, letting me make the shot a few times by spitting on the balls. They think the shot is impossible otherwise. Little do they know it can be made. The best part is they think they are hustling and they are the suckers when the money is up. The same with what is sometimes called the impossible bank (see below). You have to bank the ball cross side clean, no double kiss. It is one ball width off the rail on the second diamond, cueball is on the spot. They think it can't be made, not only can it be made but you can make it almost every shot if you know how. I have had players give me 20 shots to make it. Beginners are funny, they have no idea how much they don't know.

START(
%AN5L3%BL7P8%CJ5O4%DL7N1%EM7P1%FK6P1%GK6N8%HL7L3%I a6E4%JK6M5
%KJ5P7%LJ5N2%MK6Q4%NJ5R0%OJ5M0%Pg6O6
)END

Terry
12-04-2002, 01:05 PM
I obviously didn't have it setup correctly because I didn'd need any spit to make the shot. Terry

Perk
12-04-2002, 01:09 PM
The probability on that shot is different with the equipment used. ALOT of bar tables make that shot without it being a trick.

Likewise, I find it really easy to "lube" up the frozen balls by using the same hands that hold my ice cold beer... /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif