PDA

View Full Version : Giving Weight.

Perk
12-03-2002, 12:50 PM
Last night a guy I know wanted 2 games to 7 on 9' diamond. I kept fighting for only 1 game to 7. He wouldnt budge, so we didnt lock last night. I am not fond of giving balls, I would rather give games. Mental thing.

My question is: What kinda of order of weights is common? Has anyone ever posted a list from top to bottom of strongest amounts of weight through the least amount? I realize it would be opinionated with everyones comfort zones, but I am curious what the CCB'rs thoughts are on weight.

Doomsday Machine
12-03-2002, 04:16 PM
I personally think it is better to give balls than games, especially if you are the superior player and have a strong safe game, this allows you to control the game. The danger of giving a player 2 to 7 is if he wins the first game he is up 3-0 and a race to 7 may be tough to pull out. What I would consider the correct weight value going from the lowest weight to the highest:
1. The breaks
2. Last 2
3. Call 8 spotted on break if it goes
4. One game to 7
5. Wild 8
6. One game to 7
7. Two games to 7
8. Wild 7
9. 8 and all breaks
10. Wild 6
11. Last 3
12. Wild 5
13. 3 games to 7
Would not suggest giving anything more than this list, unless you play lightyears above your opponent.

Jimmy Mendoza
12-03-2002, 06:00 PM
If you and your opponent can both run out, then giving up games is tougher than giving up balls because if your opponent gets to the ball you're spotting them, they're probably going to run out and win that game anyway (even without the spot).

Vagabond
12-03-2002, 07:51 PM
Howdy Folks,
I do not give weight to my opponent.on the contrary I need weight.If Jimmy Mendosa gives me wild 5,last three and break I will fly to Phoenix and will play him for mega bucks,25,000$ ( woops! hope I will not be arrested for violation of Interstate commerce regulations).I think I have a chance to win because Jimmy stopped playing pool as he is more into Golf these days.LOL!Cheers
Vagabond /ccboard/images/graemlins/cool.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/cool.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/cool.gif

DEADSTOKE32
12-03-2002, 08:45 PM
Hi i'll take 2 on the wire.Race to 5 for 50 a set..
If like we can get SOME thing going.. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Harold Acosta
12-03-2002, 08:48 PM
It is common here in Puerto Rico to give 2 games in a race to 9, by A players to the B Players. Another common one is giving the 7 ball to B players, also races to 9. Usually the better player wins.

In practice sessions:

Races to 5 or 7, A&B players start even, the player that loses the race to 9 then gets the 8 ball in the next set. If the original losing player wins they go back to the 9 Ball, if he loses, he gets the 7 in the next set, and so on until the 6 ball is reached in which the session ends. This could end quickly or could be interesting to watch, depending on the players. At the end of the sessions, each player has an idea of what to expect from each other in future fun games or money matches. It also serves the purpose for remaining players/spectators to know how all the players fare against each other.
[b]<font color="blue">Billiard is a passionate sport for the mind and soul!</font color>
http://www.thebilliardstour.com/images/starscrash.gif

phil in sofla
12-03-2002, 11:09 PM
This wouldn't apply for most people, probably, but I saw something that surprised me the other day.

A guy I figured was stronger was getting the 8, I thought, and then I saw he was getting the 7 and the 8. I thought who is his opponent to be giving him all that weight, but then I noticed the stronger guy was playing lefthanded, although he was a rightie.

So there's many options for the creative matchup, including a player has to play one handed (can use the bridge), behind the back, etc. It boggles the mind.

There was once a great player whose name escapes me, whose 'handicap' was to shoot behind the back, jacked up, and shooting like that, he could do anything on the table. (Long time ago, back in Greenleaf's era).

12-04-2002, 10:45 AM
Since I play quite a few money games, this subject comes up alot. Unless it is a very lopsided game, I never like to give the break up, expecially if playing bar table pool.
I also would rather give a wild ball instead of games. If you give a wild ball, the other player still has to excecute shots to win the game. Also, most of the time against an "A" or "B" player, if he runs down to the seven or eight he is going to run out the rest of the way anyway. If you give games, there is zero chance of him messing those up.

Jimmy Mendoza
12-04-2002, 10:50 AM
I might have to start playing pool again. I don't think my ego can take much more of the humiliation associated with my golf game! /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Jimmy Mendoza
12-04-2002, 11:00 AM
I didn't even know pool was popular in Puerto Rico. Is there much action? Are there many good players?

Scott Lee
12-04-2002, 11:05 AM
Perk...Willie Jopling's Book on Pocket Billiards has a list in the back describing 39 kinds of "spots" for gambling on one-pocket. The info on "Truth in Banking" is worth the price of the book alone! Those interested can purchase this book next month, as he will be at the DCC!

Scott Lee

The Rhino Chaser
12-04-2002, 11:25 AM
I have always felt that the weaker player should push to get balls instead of games on the wire. My reasoning, if the the weaker player gets two games on the wire. Once the stronger player ties the set the spot is gone. This is really damaging if the tie happens early in the set. However if you get balls, no matter the score of the set the spot still remains.

Harold Acosta
12-04-2002, 04:42 PM
You'll find a pool table in almost every bar you go into in Puerto Rico. Pool and dominoes is the predominant game in bars. You'll find no darts here.

Most places have bar tables. A few places with 9ft tables. The craze started after the 1996 Camel tour in Puerto Rico. Ten AMF Tables stayed here. There are also a few Gandys, Connelly, and Brunswick Gold Crowns around the Island.

You'll find action in almost anyplace you visit. For more info, visit this site:

http://www.geocities.com/yordany/studio22_page

The page is in Spanish. If you ever visit the Island, contact me or Mr. Ray Yordan, who currently runs the Puerto Rico Tour.

[b]<font color="blue">Billiard is a passionate sport for the mind and soul!</font color>
http://www.thebilliardstour.com/images/starscrash.gif

Vagabond
12-04-2002, 06:56 PM
Howdy Jimmy,
U are a dam good pool player and u should start playing the game even though there is not much money in pool.however u still can pursue golf. Cheers
Vagabond

Perk
12-05-2002, 07:52 AM
Thanks Scott..I will look into getting that book.

Alfie
12-05-2002, 12:55 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Jimmy Mendoza:</font><hr> If you and your opponent can both run out, then giving up games is tougher than giving up balls because if your opponent gets to the ball you're spotting them, they're probably going to run out and win that game anyway (even without the spot). <hr /></blockquote> I don't see how you can compare the two without knowing exactly what the ball spot and game spot are, and how each affect a particular race length between two particular players.

SpiderMan
12-06-2002, 04:19 PM
Doomsday,

So, is the wild 8 more or less of a spot than one game to seven /ccboard/images/graemlins/wink.gif

SpiderMan

<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Doomsday Machine:</font><hr> I personally think it is better to give balls than games, especially if you are the superior player and have a strong safe game, this allows you to control the game. The danger of giving a player 2 to 7 is if he wins the first game he is up 3-0 and a race to 7 may be tough to pull out. What I would consider the correct weight value going from the lowest weight to the highest:
1. The breaks
2. Last 2
3. Call 8 spotted on break if it goes
4. One game to 7
5. Wild 8
6. One game to 7
7. Two games to 7
8. Wild 7
9. 8 and all breaks
10. Wild 6
11. Last 3
12. Wild 5
13. 3 games to 7
Would not suggest giving anything more than this list, unless you play lightyears above your opponent. <hr /></blockquote>

12-06-2002, 08:21 PM
When some one asks me to give them weight I tell them they should't be playing me. And if I ask you for weight ,I shouldn't be playing You. It's that simple.
Jack

TomBrooklyn
12-06-2002, 08:48 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote SpiderMan:</font><hr> Is the wild 8 more or less of a spot than one game to seven /ccboard/images/graemlins/wink.gif<hr /></blockquote>Tom sez: The wild 8 is worth 3 to 5 games in a race to seven depending on how much better you are than your opponent.

If you are much better than your opponent, say 3-4 balls better, giving them games on the wire is not giving them much, because it will be very hard for them to win any games against you heads up, so they will be hard pressed to win even one game. It would matter little how many games you give them up to say three or four or maybe even five games in a race to seven.

The more closely you match up, the more important getting/giving games on the wire becomes.

Question: What called ball would be equal to the wild eight?