PDA

View Full Version : Does your SO ignore your pool advice?

silverbullet
12-03-2002, 07:33 PM
Well, I must admit, I am guilty in the first degree. After playing ww tonight, I was told i wasn't taking full advantage of having a 7 in the house. Well maybe he is right. I am getting pretty good at medium cuts and a few hard cuts. I am a taurus, after all, so I guess my middle name is 'stubborn' so I have my own ideas about things.

I just want to be almost 100% on med cuts and 50% on hard cuts before I worry about much beside cb speed control and simple position before I get into worrying about all that english stuff. I can do a stop and a draw and sometimes do them in matches, but I am just focussing on making balls unless somebody wants to leave me bad and then I can tie up pockets etc.

I wonder if i have this all backwards. I was using english to get in certain shots, and someones here said to make sure I was accurate with straight center ball and not use english as a crutch....

So maybe I am being toooo stubborn...not sure...but i do listen to scott, randy, chris,and a number of other ccbers i know are good...

my so wants to help but he confuses me....maybe he is too advanced for me to benefit from...dont know or maybe it is my taurus attitude...yikes....i try to be honest about myself but that is hard to do when i do not know what is right....

dont mean to b but i want to learn pool the right way....

Laura

Tom_In_Cincy
12-03-2002, 09:28 PM
My Significant Other doesn't play pool, nor does she watch me play. I have been married for 23 years and my wife has only seen me play once.. and that was while we were dating. We were out and I stopped by the pool hall to pick up my shaft (new tip) and a buddy asked me to play.. she said she'd like to see me play.. so we did a short race to 5 nine ball. Since then, she doesn't have any interest in my pool ventures. She only asks if I won any money.. because, I usally give here half the winnings if there is any..

She has her nites out, and she really likes to shop alone. So it balences out.. We see each other after work.. for a few hours.

dddd
12-04-2002, 01:17 AM
she doesnt go with me to play,
those hours and hours at the table would only be good for me not her.

we have been married for some time and we understand each other.
as far as listening to me, she doesnt play, my 8 year old plays more than she, the only time she sees me play anymore is at home.
i dont know if in all cases it is good for husband or wife to try to teach each other. i know there are execptions but it could be a bit dicey there, at least for me.

teaching is tough even for the good, listening, really listening and putting that information into use is tough as well.

good luck

Perk
12-04-2002, 06:22 AM
My SO plays pool just for fun primarily on a BB. She can shoot the lights out as far as straight shots and cut shots. Her banking is very weak, and she doesnt even try any english shots. Do I try to help her? NOPE. For us, we just play and have fun. Pool can be like Golf. When you make improvements, your game can get worse before it gets better. With that said, she wants to improve, but doesnt play enuff to get past the worse part. So I dont try to help her other than suggestions when SHE looks up with a confused look.

A really good friend of ours and teamate at team tourneys constantly asks me to help her. I feel that we have enuff other "probs" that we discuss/argue about, and dont want to bring pool into it. So he helps her alittle bit at some tourneys we go to. But my SO only plays for fun, and she likes it that way. (Although my pool table will be setup again within a couple weeks, and she might play more than she used to).

Has she ignored my suggestions before? YES...does it matter? Not to us, cause we are not on a team together. We just play the game. Its frustrating enuff playing her. If I runout, she gets mad, but if I "dog" a ball so she can shoot, she gets even madder. So, sometimes its not even fun playing against each other. I usually drink when she is running the bar tables on a night out, and would put my quarters up after she is finished.

Just my round about SO story!

Wally_in_Cincy
12-04-2002, 08:42 AM
My girlfriend of 3 years is an APA 5 like me.

I can honestly say the only arguments we've ever had were about pool /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif .

Kathy: "You need to use English on your banks."

Wally: "You're outta your freakin' mind." /ccboard/images/graemlins/cool.gif

and on and on and on...... /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

eg8r
12-04-2002, 08:49 AM
My SO plays just for fun, however you may never get her to say it. I believe the majority of the time when she does play it is because she was asked by rackmup to play so the teams will be even. She would rather just sit there and talk with us while we play.

Does she ignore my suggestions...No, the problem is that she does not execute them when she tries. This is due to the fact that I am poor teacher with no patience. She is getting better, but she does not care, she rather sit and chat while we play.

eg8r

cheesemouse
12-04-2002, 08:57 AM
Silverbullet,
The only full sentence I ever heard my g/grandfather say was "don't ever teach your wife to drive". I've heard the same thing said about golf. I think the same advice applies to pool.

rackmup
12-04-2002, 09:58 AM
How many of us have dragged along the spouse or significant other to the pool room "just to watch" and after about 10 minutes of spectating, they are ready to go?

Heather is another story. This woman will sit and watch us play on a Saturday for hours on end. We usually arrive at the pool hall around 2PM (that's when they open) and play until 10-11PM! All the while, Heather will watch, play partners if she is needed, woof at us, woof at her Husband, and tolerate the non-stop flirting at the hands of OnePocketChamp (I personally, am offended by this. She is a married woman and should be treated with dignity and respect /ccboard/images/graemlins/tongue.gif.)

Heather DOES listen to Ed's advice and she does attempt to execute it, despite what he says about her failing to do so. I mean, If your instruction sounds like this...

"Okay Heather, this is a straight in shot and your opponent will expect you to do just that. I mean, it's straight in and only about eight inches from the pocket. But, instead of shooting it straight in, fire at it with some extreme english. This will cause it to rattle in the pocket just before it shoots out onto the table and goes five or maybe even six rails into this pocket. Of course, it might go into that pocket. Hell, I never know what pocket my shots are going into. I don't know...just don't make it straight in. That would be going against the 'Ed Newman Pool Playing Code' of "Just hit it hard and see where it lands".

...how could someone possibly understand the proper way to execute a given shot?

Seriously though, Ed & Heather are good folks and I appreciate their friendships, the laughs and the sharing of that boring cheese pizza Ed is so fond of.

Ed = Cheese Pizza
Heather = Pepperoni and Jalapeno with crushed red pepper and Tabasco sauce. Hot baby. Ooh, La la. /ccboard/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Regards,

Ken

eg8r
12-04-2002, 11:07 AM
Ken you are correct, no one can take away your humor.
[ QUOTE ]
"Okay Heather, this is a straight in shot and your opponent will expect you to do just that. I mean, it's straight in and only about eight inches from the pocket. But, instead of shooting it straight in, fire at it with some extreme english. This will cause it to rattle in the pocket just before it shoots out onto the table and goes five or maybe even six rails into this pocket. Of course, it might go into that pocket. Hell, I never know what pocket my shots are going into. I don't know...just don't make it straight in. That would be going against the 'Ed Newman Pool Playing Code' of "Just hit it hard and see where it lands".<hr /></blockquote>Your persistence is starting to make my sides hurt I am laughing so much. You just wish you could see these shots yourself. /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

eg8r

eg8r
12-04-2002, 11:10 AM
[ QUOTE ]
"don't ever teach your wife to drive". <hr /></blockquote>OMG, I can barely even speak when she drives, my knuckles are white and I am closing my eyes. /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif Hey, when did they let women drive anyways. /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif I am joking...about letting woman drive, the part about Heathers driving is the TRUTH. /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

eg8r &lt;~~~Glad Heather does not read the board. /ccboard/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Kato
12-04-2002, 11:29 AM
My SO does not play, has no desire to play. She did however go watch me play in a tournament last night. She said nice things while I imploded, rubbed my shoulders while I mumbled to myself and kissed my cheek to make me feel better.

I spent some time making sure she understood that part of my life and while she doesn't understand why I do it she agrees that I should do it. I can't dance but will still go to clubs so she can and she can't play pool but will still go to watch me. It's all good.
/ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif
Kato~~~right now would rather spend time with SO than play pool. Hopefully soon she won't be quite as shiny.

AustinFilAm
12-04-2002, 11:47 AM
Tom,
That's also the same with me and my better half of over 30 yrs. Our typical night out is we drive two vehicles to the movie (late matinee), then to our favorite restaurant. I drive her back to the theater to pick up her car. She goes shopping and I go shoot some serious pool. I hate shopping and she hates cigarette smoke. Works really good for us.

Angelo

Wally_in_Cincy
12-04-2002, 12:46 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Perk:</font><hr>

If I runout, she gets mad, but if I "dog" a ball so she can shoot, she gets even madder. So, sometimes its not even fun playing against each other. I usually drink when she is running the bar tables on a night out, and would put my quarters up after she is finished.
<hr /></blockquote>

I guess I'm lucky my SO plays about the same speed I do. She's been playing since 1986. I've been playing "seriously" since 1998. She used to beat me pretty bad 4 years ago when we were just friends but now I have surpassed her slightly and we have some pretty competitive sparring matches. And we don't play for fun, we play for blood /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Sid_Vicious
12-04-2002, 01:40 PM
I had an avid wanna be player in a long term, live-in relationship(same thing as the SO) and it was about at frustrating as it could get at times. There were some key, very fundamental pieces of advice I gave periodically over and over again(not nagging though),,,she never really listened. Then one day when we were around another male pool player she came rushing up to me all excited "I just found out that I was doing this wrong and this was what I needed..." IT WAS THE SAME D$MN THING I'D TOLD HER ALL ALONG!!!sid

TomBrooklyn
12-04-2002, 04:29 PM
A fool finds no pleasure in understanding, but delights in airing her own opinions. Proverbs 18:2

On the other hand, some advice which is given is only partially right, or is presented dogmatically when in fact there are alternate acceptable methods. The advice giver may not be aware of an entire topic, just a part of it, but yet they may present some point as if it the whole story. Sometimes advice givers don't account for the skill level and capabilities of the student, and bring up inappropriate topics for the student's skill level. These things can conspire to detract from the value of advice or confuse the student.

I always listen when a better player than me tells me something, and then I sift it in my mind for the pearls if I sense the whole thing is not appropriate.

The way of a fool seems right to him, but a wise man listens to advice. Proverbs 12:15

12-04-2002, 08:34 PM
My girlfriend of 2.5 years takes very little intrest in pool. But,over time, she has come to expect that when I say "I'm going to shoot an hour of pool" that I will be gone all day and most of the night. And although she doesn't understand my obsession with the game, she takes a pretty serious cut of my winnings so all is well. I drag her to tournaments and the like every once in a while, but, being the kind of girl that goes to Aggie Football Games just to see the band, she just comments on pretty cues and the shoes people are wearing. When we do play each other, I give her some very generous spots and, of course, I make sure to make some dumb mistakes to let her equalize.
As far as her ignoring my advice, well that's not a problem. I find it best to keep my mouth shut.
Good luck