PDA

View Full Version : Clockwise and counterclockwise

Leviathan
12-04-2002, 07:32 AM
The woman who says she knows me better than I know myself points out that I almost always move the cue ball around the table in a clockwise direction. She's right: I seldom use running left English. Why do I do this? Am I overlooking good routes that happen to require counterclockwise play? I play right-handed: is this a factor?

Duke Mantee
(Stable was I ere I saw Stella)

Rod
12-04-2002, 10:27 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Leviathan:</font><hr> The woman who says she knows me better than I know myself points out that I almost always move the cue ball around the table in a clockwise direction. She's right: I seldom use running left English. Why do I do this? Am I overlooking good routes that happen to require counterclockwise play? I play right-handed: is this a factor?

Duke Mantee
(Stable was I ere I saw Stella) <hr /></blockquote>

Duke, thats a good reason during practice to shoot those shots both directions. You get comfortable one way over the other. Whether anyone admits it we all have a preferred way or direction. In general we can be defined by a right to left, or a left to right shooter. We are a little more accurate one direction. As mentioned practice both ways and narrow that gap.

Scott Lee
12-04-2002, 10:36 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Rod:</font><hr> Duke, thats a good reason during practice to shoot those shots both directions. You get comfortable one way over the other. Whether anyone admits it we all have a preferred way or direction. In general we can be defined by a right to left, or a left to right shooter. We are a little more accurate one direction. As mentioned practice both ways and narrow that gap. <hr /></blockquote>

Rod is 100% correct here!...and don't forget to practice easy enough shots using R &amp; L english, so that you can get VERY consistent with your stroke. Many people make the error of trying such low percentage shots (i.e.: thin cuts that are 6+ feet away from the OB, which require lots of spin and perfect speed), that they spend all they time and effort just trying to MAKE it once! I always teach putting the CB ONE FOOT from the OB in your practice setups. That way, no matter how easy or hard the shot it, you gain confidence in being able to stroke through the CB accurately. As you are able to easily pocket the shot 4 out of 5 tries, you can then move the CB farther away.

Scott Lee

heater451
12-04-2002, 10:53 AM
VERY interesting. . . .

I primarily play left-handed, and I know that I have a tendency/flaw in my stroke (hitting off-center, slight bottom-right spin), but I also know that I wind up shooting a lot of bottom-right english shots, moving the ball clockwise around the table.

Now that I'm thinking about it, I believe that I walk around the table in the clockwise direction as well--at least, a higher percentage of the time.

I have absolutely NO idea why I do this, other than I've become most comfortable with shooting/positioning from the right side of the object ball, with the bottom-right english.

Something to think about. . . .

SPetty
12-04-2002, 12:32 PM
Thanks, Duke. This is something I've never considered or paid attention to. Interesting. I'll start paying some attention and see if I have a preference.

SPetty ~~~ Able was I ere I saw Elba

Wally_in_Cincy
12-04-2002, 01:41 PM
My BCA instructor mentioned something I had not heard before or since. He said most players have a dominant side, meaning they shoot better either cutting the object ball to the left or to the right. At the time I knew I shot better when cutting to the right but I didn't realize it was a common occurence.

Geez I'm starting to sound like bluewolf /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif j/k bw

Rod
12-05-2002, 02:45 AM
Heater,
Lets say you prefer low right for pocketing the one and playing position on the 9.
Then do you prefer to use top left as a running english?Shoot the one with top left for position on the 5 or shoot the two with top right for position on the 9. Which way? No right or wrong here but an example.
START(
%AN9H2%BO3V8%Ea7Y6%Ia3E0%P^3O2
)END

Fred Agnir
12-05-2002, 08:42 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Leviathan:</font><hr> The woman who says she knows me better than I know myself points out that I almost always move the cue ball around the table in a clockwise direction. She's right: I seldom use running left English. Why do I do this? Am I overlooking good routes that happen to require counterclockwise play? I play right-handed: is this a factor?

Duke Mantee
(Stable was I ere I saw Stella) <hr /></blockquote>
Because most right-handers will favor playing position for and shooting from the left side of the table for reach purposes. That means for natural running roll shots, they'll be going left to right which general means clockwise.

But, I'm sure it's not *all the time*.

Fred

Fred Agnir
12-05-2002, 08:43 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote heater451:</font><hr> Now that I'm thinking about it, I believe that I walk around the table in the clockwise direction as well--at least, a higher percentage of the time.<hr /></blockquote>

Northern hemisphere, perhaps?

Fred &lt;~~~ doubts it

heater451
12-05-2002, 08:57 AM
Actually, I might hit bottom-right on the 1, and pull back off the rail (roughly straight), if I were to shoot the five (which I would probably choose over the 2-9 shot.

However, if the 1 was around the first diamond area (from the corner), I would probably choose the top-left (as you asked), and go the three rails to the 9.

What about you?

===================

heater451
12-05-2002, 09:01 AM
Just as another variable, although I am left-handed, I am right-footed, in case that plays into the "table-side dominance" factor.

I favor batting right-handed(footed?), and I swing a golf club as a "righty".

=======================

Leviathan
12-05-2002, 09:12 AM
Rod:

When I look at your Wei table layout I see why I use right-running English more often than left-running English. It's a matter of handedness, stance, and the simplicity of using outside English to make the cue ball run.

I shoot right-handed, with my left foot forward and my torso turned to the right, so I'm more comfortable standing with the table on my right. When I have to stand with the table on my left, I have to open my stance uncomfortably. Naturally, I avoid creating situations of the latter kind. And when the table is on my right, it's easier to make the cue ball run with right (outside) English. Very simple.

But I don't understand why a left-handed shooter like Heater would prefer to run the cueball clockwise. Hey, Heater: maybe you'd be more comfortable shooting right-handed! (Something to think about while you're lining up your next shot!)

D.M.

Leviathan
12-05-2002, 09:17 AM
Thanks, Fred--I think you nailed it. D.M.

Rod
12-05-2002, 12:23 PM
Actually lets go back to the original question,----------- Shoot the one with top left for position on the 5 or shoot the two with top right for position on the 9. Which way?

START(
%AN9H2%BO3V8%Ea7Y6%Ia3E0%P^3O2
)END

In my case my stroke has a slight tendacy to go from right to left. I'm right handed. It makes little difference to me, but my best side is shooting the one to play position on the 5 with top inside left english. Given those (two) options. It pays to know which direction you favor, so you can practice the problem side with any given angle or english. here is a rough illustration.
START(
%AN9H2%BO3V8%Ea7Y6%Ia3E0%P^3O2%UQ0X0%VK7[0%YI6Y9%ZC7P1%[D0M1
%\M9C9%eA5`7%bN7D7%cN9E3%dO9G6
)END

Alfie
12-05-2002, 01:29 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Fred Agnir:</font><hr> [snip] That means for natural running roll shots, [...] <hr /></blockquote> What is a "natural running roll shot"? What do all those modifiers mean?

Alfie
12-05-2002, 01:59 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote heater451:</font><hr> [snip] Now that I'm thinking about it, I believe that I walk around the table in the clockwise direction as well--at least, a higher percentage of the time. [...] <hr /></blockquote> I have a theory on this. A player walks around the table so that the stick holding hand is on the outside and the chalk holding hand is on the inside. It could be either clockwise or counterclockwise depending on whether he is walking forward or backward.

usually

Fred Agnir
12-05-2002, 02:08 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Alfie:</font><hr> <blockquote><font class="small">Quote Fred Agnir:</font><hr> [snip] That means for natural running roll shots, [...] <hr /></blockquote> What is a "natural running roll shot"? What do all those modifiers mean? <hr /></blockquote>
Roll means no drawing back, just natural follow or follow.

Natural and running can be interchangeable. Opposite of check and reverse.

Fred

heater451
12-05-2002, 04:37 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Leviathan:</font><hr> . . .Hey, Heater: maybe you'd be more comfortable shooting right-handed! (Something to think about while you're lining up your next shot!)

D.M.<hr /></blockquote>I can shoot right-handed well enough (I take more time/care with the shot), but I usually only shoot that way for certain shots, such as those that would require a bridge--due to CB/OB position, and not just length.

Most often, for this shot: START(
%AI5Z5%BL7P8%CJ5O4%DL7N1%EM7P1%FK6P1%GK6N8%HM7N8%I L7O4%JK6M5
%KJ5P7%LJ5N2%MK6Q4%NJ5R0%OJ5M0%PP1Z7%WK5Z6%XO0Z7
)END

==================

Alfie
12-07-2002, 08:51 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Fred Agnir:</font><hr> Roll means no drawing back, just natural follow or follow.

Natural and running can be interchangeable. Opposite of check and reverse. <hr /></blockquote> Thanks, Fred.