PDA

View Full Version : Exercise before a pool match-help or hindrance?

Wally_in_Cincy
12-04-2002, 09:30 AM
Last night I worked out before my 14.1 match. Stationary bike and weight lifting. I usually don't do that because it tends to hurt my shot-making ability. The last time was about 2 years ago and I lost to an APA 3 with a Budweiser cue /ccboard/images/graemlins/tongue.gif. Working out raises my metabolism and the weight-lifting makes my arms rubbery.

Well sure enough I played like crap last night. My first 6 missed balls didn't hurt too much because my opponent wasn't warmed up. Then I missed a bunny shot and he ran 26 /ccboard/images/graemlins/frown.gif.

Walking is a different story. I can take a long, brisk walk before a match and play fine. It tends to keep my mind and body alert rather than tired.

Anyone have any similar experience with this?

Perk
12-04-2002, 09:48 AM
I tried playing competitive basketball, then rushing in to town for a tourney. That good feeling of worn out, doesnt really work for pool. I too had a bad evening of it. I have noticed that if I excersized earlier, that some tension/stress was out and that I would shoot well. But the exhausted feel doesnt work for me....Just my thoughts!

Wally_in_Cincy
12-04-2002, 10:03 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Perk:</font><hr> I tried playing competitive basketball, then rushing in to town for a tourney. That good feeling of worn out, doesnt really work for pool. I too had a bad evening of it. I have noticed that if I excersized earlier, that some tension/stress was out and that I would shoot well. But the exhausted feel doesnt work for me....Just my thoughts! <hr /></blockquote>

About 3 hours seems to be the magic number for me. I used to work out hard on Saturday morning about 10:00 a.m. or 11:00 a.m., then have a light lunch and play in a tournament at 2:30 p.m. and that was not a problem.

Rod
12-04-2002, 10:37 AM
Yes I do Wally. I use to play a lot of Golf and pool. Sometimes I hit balls not more that an hour or two before pool. It always messed up my game for a while for similar reasons. Now all I do is some arm and shoulder stretches to loosen up any tight muscles instead of putting stress on them.

=k=
12-04-2002, 12:04 PM
this raises another question. would a massage be better? i have considered this as i am tense..

Sid_Vicious
12-04-2002, 01:55 PM
Most anyone who knows me would chuckle if you asked about me exercising before anything, much less pool but I have followed up a previous day's waterskiing venture with a day at the PH, and as anyone who is out of shape to begin with knows upon rolling outta bed the next two days, a day of skiing will definitely find muscles you didn't know you had. Well even though the body cried "Don't move me!", I played really well. I figure because I couldn't jump up fast enough.

As far as working out just before the match,,,I played league against a guy a few weeks back who still had tremors from his weight lifting(he told me about it) just prior to coming to the match, and he shot like crap in the first set against me.

Now I have a good excuse for not exercising ;-) sid

Eric.
12-04-2002, 02:15 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Wally_in_Cincy:</font><hr> Last night I worked out before my 14.1 match. Stationary bike and weight lifting. I usually don't do that because it tends to hurt my shot-making ability. The last time was about 2 years ago and I lost to an APA 3 with a Budweiser cue /ccboard/images/graemlins/tongue.gif. Working out raises my metabolism and the weight-lifting makes my arms rubbery.

Well sure enough I played like crap last night. My first 6 missed balls didn't hurt too much because my opponent wasn't warmed up. Then I missed a bunny shot and he ran 26 /ccboard/images/graemlins/frown.gif.

Walking is a different story. I can take a long, brisk walk before a match and play fine. It tends to keep my mind and body alert rather than tired.

Anyone have any similar experience with this?
<hr /></blockquote>

Wal,

I noticed the same thing. I work out with weights also and notice that if I do arm curls of any sort, I lose my "touch". I can't draw with control and even normal cut shots get me in trouble with CB position. I usually lay off the weights 2 days before a match.

On the other hand, moderate cardio seems to work wonders. I try to do a light cardio before a tourney and it seems to tone my nervous energy down some.

eric

Tom_In_Cincy
12-04-2002, 07:35 PM
Wally,

I gave up playing in a Tuesday nite tournament because that was my nite for raquet ball. I couln't do both..

I also found that I couldn't eat a big supper prior to a nightly tournament. I found that bending over to shoot with a full stomache was not a good combo.

Wally_in_Cincy
12-05-2002, 01:23 PM
Judging by the responses my theory was correct. Yesterday I did the bike, and the only weights done were leg exercises. I played noticeably better.

I recall Megan (Smith) Minerich wrote in her column at AZB that she liked to work out the morning before a match.

George Fels says he has lifted weights for many years and he consequently needs at least 30 min. to warm up for pool. Would be very interested to hear his thoughts on this.

thanx for all input....