PDA

View Full Version : What's the Best PRO Pool Match you've ever seen ?

bigbro6060
12-04-2002, 11:52 AM
can be 9ball, straight pool, anything

Cueless Joey
12-04-2002, 12:23 PM
Efren vs. Gerry The Ghost Watson back in 1998 World 8-Ball.
Gerry got out of two racks that just looked impossible to run out from. Most balls were clustered near the foot spot. He broke them all one by one and got out to get on the hill. Efren ran some amazing racks too. The whole room was just astonished how great the two played. They went hill-hill and Efren ran the last rack. Gerry was so exhausted he had nothing left for his next match. I didn't know who he was until that night. He can play.

12-04-2002, 12:31 PM
About 5 or 6 years back, Efren Reyes played Earl strickland a race to 125 (9 ball). The winner got $25,000 the Loser $O.OO. It is a fve tape series, at the start of the final tape, Earl is leading Efren by 17 games, something like 112 to 95. Efren Reyes then playes some of the best pool, I think has ever been played (my opinion ,of course). And makes up the depicate to win the money.

Kato
12-04-2002, 12:32 PM
$100,000, there was a $10,000 saver if I remember correctly.

Kato

12-04-2002, 12:51 PM
Your right, it was $100,000. Do you agree it was some amazing pool by Efren?

Mike H
12-04-2002, 01:00 PM
OK, I watch waaay too much Accu-Stats....here's my picks:

9-ball: '98 US Open, Bustamante vs. Warren Kiamco....both guys had their breaks working well, Kiamco goes up 7-0, then Busta hits him with a 5-pack out of nowhere, they end up going hill-hill and Kiamco pulled it out after a very un-Busta-like mistake.
At the June '95 Sands, both winners side semi's, Strickland-Luat and Reyes-Archer, went double-hill....Luat's up 10-9 and dogs the 9, Strickland ties it, breaks, pulls out a great bank on the 1 before playing safe, Luat returns the safe, then Earl fires in an airborne combo and gets out. Reyes-Archer was back and forth the whole match, and both played an outstanding match.
Straight Pool: Sigel-Zuglan, 92 US Open. 150 and out, picture perfect. Zuglan's break was respectable though.:)
One-Pocket: Reyes-Daulton, 98 Legends of One-Pocket. The banks, the patterns, the traps were played so well, a little sloppiness aside. The best 3 hours I ever parked in front of the TV.
Banks: 99 Derby, Reyes-Gary Spaeth. You'd have to watch this one to really believe how well these two were banking.

Jimmy Mendoza
12-04-2002, 02:06 PM
It must have been like '90 or '91. At the time, Nick was the #1 player. Earl beat him 11-0, and it looked like Earl was just practicing. At one point, he shot a combination LONG RAIL bank! Ok, so the shot might have been dead because the two balls were either frozen or close to it, and the pockets on those tables at the Sands are pretty big, but the fact that he even shot a shot like that supports my obversation that the guy looked like he was out there practicing by himself. After the match, Earl told Billy I. (who was commentating in the match for Accu-stats), "a lot of people say I just have a good break, but I can play too!"

Eric.
12-04-2002, 02:37 PM
Maybe not THE best, but a damn good one...

2002 BCA Open-Tony Robles vs. Charlie Williams

A tight match that could have went either way. I think Tony missed 2 balls, Charlie 1 for the whole match(short race to 7). Both guys were getting out from anywhere and the most memorable out was when Tony spun of the one to hook Charlie between the rail and the 7 ball, with the 1 across the table behind a bunch of balls, near the rail. Charlie kicks at the 1 3 rails makes the 1 and runs out. Awesome.

Eric

smfsrca
12-04-2002, 03:03 PM
This was a good match!
Not only for it's caliber of play but for it's caliber of player. You go away from this match feeling good about the game. You want more. A classy performance by 2 of the games younger talents. It would be nice to think that the future of professional pocket billiards was in these hands and they don't become tainted by the lure of the action life.

Steve

Cueless Joey
12-04-2002, 03:08 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Kato:</font><hr> $100,000, there was a $10,000 saver if I remember correctly.

Kato <hr /></blockquote>
The pot was 75-25. There was no saver. I know Efren bought a 10K insurance from his manager. Efren was down 87-104 and came back. Then it was tied at 117 all. Earl then loses his cool. The rest is history but we weren't there.

cueball1950
12-05-2002, 07:48 PM
Earl Strickland/ Corey Duell......2002 U S Open. it went Hill/HIll. earl wound up winning the match. But great shot making and safety play by both players. it is on Accustats and it is a good tape. IMHO............mike

Tom_In_Cincy
12-05-2002, 08:12 PM
Great match, Earl vrs Corey.
At one Point, Earl was playing some great safeties.. and Corey was kicking so good that if I remember correctly, Corey was kicking to make the OB for the 3rd time in a row. But, he missed, but still hit the OB.

9 Ball Girl
12-05-2002, 09:31 PM
Definitely The Pearl and The Prince down in Virginia at the US Open. It went to Hill-hill which made it even more exciting.

Voodoo Daddy
12-05-2002, 10:30 PM
Banks; 2001 Derby City...Shannon Daulton and Truman Houge...Truman runs 14 or so banks {2 five packs and a 4 banger}. Too much for Shannon to bare...and he was winning at one point 2-0 in the match!!

9-Ball; 1980's Florida tour final with Buddy Hall and Mike Gulyasse{sp}at the Golden Cue in Melbourne Fl.. Buddy prevailed but Mike showed the concentration the likes I have never seen before.

One Pocket; Seen a truck load of 1-hole...Ronnie Allen vs. Danny Diliberto in Phoenix, Az. in the late 80's. Classic East vs West coast styles...tough to find but a must see.

14.1; Seen some 14.1, Cranes 150 and out in '66? againest Balsis was great...black and white too!!

Popcorn
12-05-2002, 11:04 PM
Around 1972 I watched a player named Mike Carella play Jim Mataya 9-ball. They played for three days. Only stopping a few hours to sleep. With all the side betting they were averaging $1000 to $1500 a game the whole time. They went stretches where they played the best 9-ball I have ever seen played. Mike ended up around $30,000 ahead when Mataya quit. The best Straight pool match I have seen was Danny Diliberto playing Miz. They were playing 400 point games for $5000 a game. Both players posted runs over 200 during the match, It was amazing. One pocket would be every time I saw Ronnie Allen play in the 70s.

Fred Agnir
12-06-2002, 08:51 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Eric.:</font><hr> Maybe not THE best, but a damn good one...

2002 BCA Open-Tony Robles vs. Charlie Williams

A tight match that could have went either way. I think Tony missed 2 balls, Charlie 1 for the whole match(short race to 7). Both guys were getting out from anywhere and the most memorable out was when Tony spun of the one to hook Charlie between the rail and the 7 ball, with the 1 across the table behind a bunch of balls, near the rail. Charlie kicks at the 1 3 rails makes the 1 and runs out. Awesome.

Eric
<hr /></blockquote>
This was televised. I'll be a jerk and remind people that these tables' pockets were huge. Way too big for professionals. Did Charlie actually miss a ball? I don't remember him missing anything he shot at, but they may have cut it on TV.

Fred

Perk
12-06-2002, 09:00 AM
I watched that match too with Williams/Robles.....After that shot that Charlie made, he ranout from EVERYWHERE...as far as the pockets being huge? They werent Diamond Cut pockets, but I dont think ya can take anything away from those two in that match...They played really well...just my thoughts.

Eric.
12-06-2002, 09:45 AM
I think Charlie missed a shot into the side pocket but don't hold me to it. I can't remember what I had for dinner last night!

Eric &gt;CRS