PDA

View Full Version : APA rules question

stickman
12-04-2002, 12:48 PM
After reading and reading I wasn't able to find an answer to this. In my APA 9ball match last Monday night, the opposing coach called a timeout. She was looking at a kick shot, and placed a piece of chalk on the rail where she wanted her player to hit. She made ever so slight adjustments to the chalk several, several times and looked at it from both sides of the table. It took quite a while before she was satisfied. I was pretty amused by the whole spectacle, but was polite enough to hold back any obvious expression of my feelings. Both my coach and I thought that placing a piece of chalk on the rail to be used as an aim reference was not allowed, and my coach politely expressed this opinion to the other coach. She claimed it was perfectly legal. We didn't protest as it was going to have no effect on the outcome. Her player missed the ball by 3 or 4 inches. I was playing exceptionally well, and even if she had hit it, it was obvious that I would win this match anyway. The final score was 18/2. I have never seen this done before. Can anyone tell me if this is legal or not? I'm curious in case this were to come up in a situation where it would make a difference.

breaknrun1
12-04-2002, 01:17 PM
Stickman,

You probably didn't see the rule regarding this because it is the general rules section of the Team Manual (see rule 11f.)
Rule 11f. states,
"Coaches may place the cue ball for a player in a ball-in-hand situation during a time-out. Coaches may not mark the playing surface of the table, or guide the shooter's cue. The coach must leave the playing area before the shooter attempts the shot.

By this rule, leaving a piece of chalk on the rail, marking the rail with chalk, or using your finger to give the player something to aim at would be considered a foul.

Kelly

stickman
12-04-2002, 01:21 PM
Now that you bring this up, and thanks for helping me find this, I believe her arguement was that the top rail was not part of the playing surface. /ccboard/images/graemlins/confused.gif

stickman
12-04-2002, 02:42 PM
The reason I was unable to find this rule was because parts of the PDF file from the APA website was missing on my computer. I went back to the website and looked for rule 11F and wasn't able to find it. I then downloaded a newer version of Adobe Acrobat and all parts of the file showed. Just a tip in case someone else experiences this. /ccboard/images/graemlins/wink.gif

ChrisW
12-04-2002, 03:15 PM
I can't say it is leagal or not but I know there is no rule saying you can not use that piece of chalk to chalk your stick before the player shoots.
Its happened to me and I just grab the cube and chalk up.
The coach was pretty pissed but got the point anyway.
Chris