PDA

View Full Version : Break cue tip question: Need advice!

rackmup
12-04-2002, 01:27 PM
Has anyone that breaks with a Predator BK break cue, ever used any other tip than what came on it?

Specifically, has anyone EVER installed a phenolic tip, like the Bunjee tip, on their Predator BK?

Those who post here who are "in the know", would the installation of a Bunjee tip cause problems with the Predator ferrule or the laminated shaft?

If not a phenolic tip, what is a good tip to replace the original Predator BK tips with?

Regards,

Ken

Eric.
12-04-2002, 02:05 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote rackmup:</font><hr> Has anyone that breaks with a Predator BK break cue, ever used any other tip than what came on it?

Specifically, has anyone EVER installed a phenolic tip, like the Bunjee tip, on their Predator BK?

Those who post here who are "in the know", would the installation of a Bunjee tip cause problems with the Predator ferrule or the laminated shaft?

If not a phenolic tip, what is a good tip to replace the original Predator BK tips with?

Regards,

Ken <hr /></blockquote>

I put a Talisman XH water buff tip on my BK, shaved it down to 3/16 " and flat. Breaks hard with minimal spin on the cueball. I love it.

Eric

Sid_Vicious
12-04-2002, 05:05 PM
I too have an XH Talisman on my break cue, and even though it seemed hard in the beginning, the thing(and all other leathers/skins) breaks down at the crown, you see it under a microscope when you apply a thumbnail's prressure on it. Personally, I find this distressing cuz it had a nice crack to it when I first broke with it. Soooo, it does make me wonder if an artificial material such as phenolic, which ain't gonna exhibit sponginess with use, might be a better choice for the break. I'd wonder though about the slippery-ness of that tip for many individuals out there,,,it'd keep your centerball stroke honest and that should be a benefit. Still there are more people out there who would cuss the thing first or second time they miscued after chalking, and the tip would come off ASAP. My contention is that it is the stroke, not the tip that caused that miscue, but that won't stop the outcry of those who blame equipment.

I personally like a mixture of play performance and break performance so I don't think I'll go to a phenolic tip on my cue. I play with my breaker sometimes and it shoots a good game with the XH Talisman as it is. If all I did was break with the cue, I'd change to a synthetic and see what I broke like. It would most likely be appealing to me to some measure.

Talisman XH??? I'm not sure that the single layered WB tips don't make a better "popping" tip for the break and also for hops with long cues. I know my regular with the single layered tip sure jumps great. I'll maybe have to try that tip on my break cue some day just to satisfy my mind.

Rackmup, have you broken with eg8r's Bungee stick? If that works, i.e. you're not losing whitey alot, then I'd think that you're answer lies there. Be aware though that the synthetic tips are pricey, and installs will need to be done by someone who can trim then with an actual cutting tool, not the Willard cutter nor a spinning shaft and an array of sandpaper. The two costs could approach $30 added together...sid

Thierry Layani
12-05-2002, 01:32 AM
Predator is now using on their BK a softer tip made by Tiger because they found that a very hard tip could damage the ferrule and cause it to crack.
That's why I'd suggest not to use a very hard tip, any medium tip should do the job adequately.

Thierry Layani
www.layanicues.com (http://www.layanicues.com)

Rod
12-05-2002, 01:50 AM
Ken, I read about your Dallas CCB get together that you have a little/huge problem with whitey flying! Now tell me why you believe you need more speed on the c/b.
Has accuracy ever entered into this equation, in your mind! /ccboard/images/graemlins/smirk.gif

I'm waiting-------------- /ccboard/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

rackmup
12-05-2002, 08:44 AM
I'm not looking for speed. I don't believe my break is lacking in that area. What I am looking for is greater durability.

As for that one day at Click's with the other Texas CCB'ers, that was just one of those days when I was having trouble keeping whitey on the table. Normally, that bad boy just jumps straight up into the air like an armadillo will, just before getting bashed by Junior's F-250 on US-360.

Regards,

Ken (has never hit an armadillo)

rackmup
12-05-2002, 08:46 AM
That's odd because after posting this question, I emailed Predator and their suggestion was to replace the tip with any medium to hard layered tip.

They strongly urged me to stay away from phenolic or one-piece tips.

Hmmm...

Regards,

Ken

Thierry Layani
12-05-2002, 09:06 AM
Exactly! A very hard one piece or phenolic will probably compress less than a medium or hard layered tip. Still you won't lose any power on the break. Don't take any chances and follow their suggestion.

Thierry Layani
www.layanicues.com (http://www.layanicues.com)