PDA

View Full Version : cue tip hardness

12-04-2002, 02:32 PM
Is there any standard from which to judge cue tip hardness? I'm wondering about the Tailsman Pro medium compared to the Morri medium.

SpiderMan
12-04-2002, 02:55 PM
I've used both, on the same cue. Talisman pro medium feels a little harder than Moori medium, and is definitely slicker (doesn't take chalk as well). But the Talisman costs only a third to half as much.

In order to truly evaluate hardness "feel", I think you have to try them on the same cue. Different cues have harder or softer hits, and can fool you into thinking the difference is only in the tip.

SpiderMan

ChrisW
12-04-2002, 03:31 PM
Wow!
I had the opposite experience. Granted I only tried one of each. I went from a Moori med to a Talisman med. The Talisman had a softer feel, held chalk better and held its shape a ton better. The Moori easily got slick and had to be scuffed very often. I still have the Talisman on my stick now and will put another back on when I need it.

I should say that these two tips were my first attempts at layered tips so when I was using the Moori it may have been my lack of experience more than the tip itself.
Chris

SpiderMan
12-04-2002, 03:55 PM
Hi Chris,

Yes, that really does seem strange. I think most of the users on here feel that the Talismans are at least half a grade to a grade harder for the same designation.

I wonder, since you say the Moori was your first experience with a layered tip, could the seller have charged you for a Moori but put on something else? I've heard of that happening.

See my thread on the Adam layered tip and check the pictures. It seems about the same hardness as the Talisman but takes chalk and (at least initially) seems to hold it's crown (dime radius) a little better.

SpiderMan