PDA

View Full Version : Matching up players in local tournament

JohnnyP
12-04-2002, 08:45 PM
I finally got my feet wet and started playing in the tournaments at Danny K's.

The TD watched me practice for a while, and has me rated as a B-. Last night, he matched me up with an A3, giving me ten on the wire, going to fourteen. I got by him, not too gracefully, slopping the nine in on the last game. My opponent ended up with eleven.

Then I was matched up with an A9, same spot. Hill-hill, coulda, woulda, shoulda, I overcut the 8 and he's out.

TD says I made a few shots, and there was some grumbling from both about the spot, but says don't worry about it. "When you get into the money, then we'll re-evaluate your rating. For now, you're still a B-".

I had a lot of fun, and got to play a lot of games for my $12 entry fee. I'm not there to win any money, I just want to play with some good players. Eight ball with my wife is fine, but...

She thinks that since there is prize money involved, there shouldn't be a spot, especially one that big, because it's just going to cause hard feelings.

To avoid any hard feelings, should I voluntarily give back some of the spot? If I give it all back, I'll just be rack boy.

Scott Lee
12-04-2002, 09:46 PM
Johnny...NOPE! Don't do anything! The TD has the final word, and they will take action to move you up, as soon as it is warranted. Anytime somebody beats somebody better, even with a big spot, there will be grumbling! LOL Let them grumble...you just play YOUR game! Enjoy the spot while you can! LOL Danny K's is a nice room, btw! Say hi to Sally for me!

Scott Lee

Cueless Joey
12-04-2002, 09:58 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Scott Lee:</font><hr> Johnny...NOPE! Don't do anything! The TD has the final word, and they will take action to move you up, as soon as it is warranted. Anytime somebody beats somebody better, even with a big spot, there will be grumbling! LOL Let them grumble...you just play YOUR game! Enjoy the spot while you can! LOL Danny K's is a nice room, btw! Say hi to Sally for me!

Scott Lee <hr /></blockquote>
I was at Danny's last night. I didn't catch the tourney so I played some practice with a 4A player. I am an A-.
I was at B only a few weeks back.
Keep your handicap until you get in the money a few times. Players will complain and the TD will watch and do the right thing. He keeps a ledger of all tourney results.
Tourneys at Danny's is tough. Pockets are generous and the good players run out easily.
Scott, Sally has left SoCal to work for Inside Pool in PA.

Perk
12-05-2002, 07:46 AM
I play alot of similiar tournaments like that as well. Around here, I go as a B+/Low A player depending on the tourney. Would I jump at a chance to always be a b+..of course....The TD is right...constent evaluation determines if you move up. The problem I see with the tournaments like this comes from alot of the top players. They are really strong players, and runout from anywhere, but give up too much weight? And they got to actually work for a match. How many times does a "real" low player pull off a miracle against someone that is spotting say a wild-7 and a game on the wire? The good player misses the six and the low player pots the six then the seven for a win. Snaps a nineball and has momentum. Now the pressure sets in on the good player. This is the pressure that everyone should feel. Miss and your opponent is out...

I think that there are alot of "good" players that just want to steal the tourney..and that is where the bitchin comes from in the handicap systems. Just my thoughts.

Rich R.
12-05-2002, 08:47 AM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote Cueless Joey:</font><hr> Scott, Sally has left SoCal to work for Inside Pool in PA. <hr /></blockquote>
I had the pleasure of meeting Sally, recently, at the APA U.S. Amateur Championship, in Laurel, Md.
While watching the final matches, I noticed a CCB key chain hanging from Sally's hand bag. I had to introduce myself. /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif She is a nice lady.
It also seemed like she had a very close working relationship with her boss. /ccboard/images/graemlins/wink.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/wink.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/tongue.gif /ccboard/images/graemlins/blush.gif