PDA

View Full Version : Update movie library-need help.

OnePocketChamp
12-05-2002, 06:47 AM
I would like to add movies to my collection, especially related to a pool theme; i.e., the Hustler, Color of Money. What other titles can the CCB'ers come up with for me to consider?

9 Ball Girl
12-05-2002, 09:24 AM
Hows about The Baltimore Bullet and The Baron and The Kid. I've never seen these myself but I've ordered them and are on their way! /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Wally_in_Cincy
12-05-2002, 10:50 AM
I don't know how much pool is in it but Fran was a technical consultant on Carlito's Way.

And Kurt Russell's brother gets shot on a pool table in Tombstone /ccboard/images/graemlins/grin.gif

dave
12-05-2002, 12:32 PM
Is the "Baron and the Kid" that made for TV movie that starred Johnny Cash? If so, where did you order it? If not, does anyone know the name of that movie and where it might be available? TIA

9 Ball Girl
12-05-2002, 12:44 PM
The pool scene in Carlito's Way was in a bar. Two bad dudes are playing but you don't really see their shots. Carlito (Pacino) senses something's about to go down and distracts the 2 bad dudes at the pool table with a "trick" shot. He makes one of the bad dudes bend down so that his face is leveled with the table. Carlito uses the sunglasses that the bad dude is wearing to see the reflection of the other bad dudes behind him. Then Carlito shoots the cueball and knocks the bad dude out. Something like that. It's been a while since I've seen the movie.

http://www.posterplanet.net/images/carlitoswaypool.jpg

smfsrca
12-05-2002, 12:45 PM
Twilight Zone: A Game of Pool (1961)
Synopsis
In his second Twilight Zone appearance, Jack Klugman stars as pool hustler Jesse Cardiff, who would like nothing better than to challenge legendary pool champion Fats Brown. Only trouble is, Fats has been dead for a year. But Jesse is persistent, and before long the ghost of Fats (Jonathan Winters) puts in an appearance and challenges Jesse to a winner-take-all game of pool -- with Jesse's life as the "stakes." George Clayton Johnson's teleplay underwent several changes before filming, including a complete rewrite of the ending, which in its original state was fascinating, if not entirely satisfying. "A Game of Pool" first aired October 13, 1961. ~ Hal Erickson, All Movie Guide

9 Ball Girl
12-05-2002, 12:52 PM
Hey Dave. Yeah, it's a made for TV movie. My friend actually ordered it for me. I'll find out from him where he's getting it from. And oh yeah, it does star Johnny Cash. Back in '84.

Wally_in_Cincy
12-05-2002, 01:12 PM
<blockquote><font class="small">Quote dave:</font><hr> Is the "Baron and the Kid" that made for TV movie that starred Johnny Cash? If so, where did you order it? If not, does anyone know the name of that movie and where it might be available? TIA <hr /></blockquote>

<blockquote><font class="small">Quote from MM's website:</font><hr>What are some of the highlights of your professional career?
Movies and TV
That's another difficult question because pool has been very good to me. I've always been a fan of Johnny Cash and I was chosen to help Bill Stratton with the CBS Movie script The Baron and the Kid. That was surely one of the highlights in my career. In that movie I was the pool technical advisor and I also played the character, Burt Manning. I also got to spend quite a bit of time with Johnny Cash, teaching him pool and doubling for him in some of the scenes. It was a wonderful experience and to this day I am still one of his biggest fans.

<hr /></blockquote>

dave
12-05-2002, 02:21 PM
Thanks. If it is available I'd be interested. Have a great day.

smfsrca
12-05-2002, 02:53 PM
http://www.thebilliardstour.com/themovies.html

Popcorn
12-05-2002, 06:37 PM
Mike is also in the movie "The night the lights went out in Georgia." You have to look quick to see him though.